“About as good as it gets in Ithaca”

Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“About as good as it gets in Ithaca”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Property well maintained and the staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and spacious. Modest fitness facility. Parking is across the street - slightly aggravating but parking is an issue most places in Ithaca. Close walking distance to a number of casual restaurants, coffee shops and a small market. Walking distance to campus, but it's a long walk and all uphill. Unlike a lot of hotels in this genre, no complimentary breakfast, but there is a breakfast grill in the hotel, as well as a coffee shop across the street.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
southampton, ma
Reviewed 16 October 2011

As a frequent traveler, we've stayed at a number of Hilton Garden Inns--and this, because of it's friendly staff, clean and sizable rooms, location right in a beautiful college town, and proximity to walking to restaurants and the gorgeous view, as well as 2 incredibly comfortable Queen beds in one room--is our favorite. We've stayed twice in the last few months for weddings and college visits and really enjoyed the upbeat, gracious staff--especially the breakfast staff and chef...they make you feel "right at home." Excellent job! I wish every HGI was this good.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the top floors as this is a college town and kids are loud in the bars across the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca. I will be sharing your review with the entire staff as we take great pride in providing our guests with an excellent product and services.

We hope you will continue to use Hilton Garden Inns as your lodging of choice, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Ithaca.
Campbell Hall, New York
Reviewed 13 October 2011

HIlton Garden Inn is still my first choice when back in Ithaca. Clean, convenient and friendly staff. Restaurant on property but also a *$ (Starbucks) on first floor. 1/2 block walk to Ithaca Commons for shopping, people watching and Ithaca's "Restaurant Row". Short drive to either Cornell or Ithaca College.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I am a frequent visitor to Ithaca and the Hilton Garden Inn is always my first choice, although my most recent visit was a bit puzzling.
PROS: Location, location, location. Centrally located downtown, within easy walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. and a short drive to anywhere else in the area. Free parking. Pleasant, helpful staff. Clean rooms with comfortable beds. Small pantry sells "forgotten" items (contact lens solution, etc.). Breakfast grill and full-service bar-restaurant on site. Hotel rooms are on floors 6-9, so most rooms have a nice view.
CONS: Usually, there are no cons (except that often the hotel has no vacancies when I want to book it). But during my most recent visit, there were a few minor problems in the maintenance area. For some odd reason, our dresser was missing the bottom drawer. The lamp on the nightstand had a bad switch and one of the two bulbs was burned out. The lower-numbered TV channels had poor reception (snowy). The clock-radio had the wrong time and we couldn't fix it. The toilet ran occasionally. The refrigerator was noisier than it should have been. My husband, an engineer, was disturbed to see a worker up on a very high ladder without a harness, a safety violation.
To the staff's credit, they respond quickly if you complain about something. We did report the lamp problem, and when we returned to our room later in the day, the lamp had been replaced. But the maintenance department needs to step it up a bit.
I'm really hoping this most recent visit was an anomaly. I still highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A K
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you experienced issues with your room while staying with us at the Hilton Garden Inn of Ithaca. I could not be more unhappy about the inconvenience to you. Please do let me know if you wish to discuss the matter further. I hope the rest of your stay and time in Ithaca was enjoyable!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The location in downtown Ithaca doesn't compensate for the astronomical price and uncleanliness of the bathrooms. Mold, falling paint and remnants from previous guests can be found in the bathrooms of your room. The walls were thinner than usual in similar hotels. The staff were friendly and nice but for $200 a night this felt like a rip-off.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
I know that you are very busy but I cannot tell you how incredibly important your feedback is to us here at the Hilton Garden Inn of Ithaca! Please know that I will share your comments with the appropriate members of my staff in order to better avoid a situation like this in the future, and more effectively serve our guests. If I may be of any assistance to you, or if you care to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to let me know. I hope the rest of your stay, and time in Ithaca, was pleasant. All my best for your future travels!
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Touring the Finger Lakes wine region, we spent two nights at this location. The room was comfortable and well equipped with fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and very nice beds. There were several nice restaurants withing easy walking distance. The parking was free and convenient. The front desk staff was pleasant, helpful, and friendly. I would definitely choose this location again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
JerryArsen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. I was very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us as we take great pride in providing our guests with an excellent product and services.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 21 September 2011

While traveling for business I stayed at this location. Couldn't ask for a cleaner room, internet worked great and bed was as comfortable as promised. Nice to have working microwave and fridge in the room.

The parking is located in a garage across the street from the hotel (no connection between the two) so it's a bit confusing when you first pull up where to go. The parking is free in the ramp...again though, would prefer it be connected to the building.

Dissatisfied with the room service form Kilpatrick's (located in the lobby). Food was sub-par, no condiments included, arrived cold and was not given a steak knife with my rib eye...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business