“IT WAS JUST OK!”

Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Lagos, Nigeria
“IT WAS JUST OK!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel during my visit to Cornell university for the PDP, program in June, 2014. I was there for 4 nights. The hotel is not bad at all. It old, but okay. The bathroom was very clean and well supplied. The internet is not very okay in the rooms, only at the reception. The guy at the reception was helpful and friendly. Complimentary breakfast on the first morning was terrible.

Room Tip: Room on the inside is better, because of noise from the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank vicwan1968

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ipswich
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We should have known as soon as the receptionist told us that "we could use the conference room if the wifi didn't work" that we were in for a depressing night of horrors. As we swiped the card and entered the room we were reminded of our childhood experiences with Alvin Schwartz's "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark": the walls a ceiling were strewn with cobwebs and the bathroom looked like it was out of a Wes Craven movie. When we turned on the old fashioned tv, a black box appeared, covering the majority of the screen on every channel we tried. When we called the front desk we were informed that they could do nothing about this. There was a long silence until he finally offered to move us to another room -- the beds would be smaller. No apology was offered. This next room did have a working tv, but was missing an entire towel rack and contained rust stains in the tub and showcased a limp yellow shower curtain. We were not so surprised to find that many of the electrical outlets did not work, and we were unable to connect to the internet. Upon turning in our keys the next morning at check out I inquired as to whether there was a difference in price between the queen sized beds in our first room and the double beds in the second room. I was told that there was a twenty dollar difference. When asked if this could be refunded on our bill, the attendant immediately retracted the statement, and said it didn't apply to the standard rooms that we had stayed in. Stay away from this cesspool at all costs.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank BSJIpswich

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've stayed in this location twice over the last couple of years. The rooms are large, location not bad: across the road from amazing Wegmans supermarket, where you can get a pleasant breakfast and all the veggies or cheeses you've ever dreamt off (The motel's breakfast offering is in the forget-about-it category.) Panera is also nearby.

The place is somewhat run-down, with various minor smells, but also partly renovated. The beds and covers appeared clean. Room A/C fan is noisy. This weekend I had to pay $144 with taxes for one night away from home.

That's too much, indeed, but high prices for rather mediocre lodging is the rule in Ithaca as others have noticed.

A few days after returning from this trip I started itching with welts in multiple clusters of two-four bites on my upper torso. I'd only been away from home one night on a road-trip. So I suspect I was bitten by you-know-what during that night, but I have no proof. My rating of two applies to value for your money irrespective of potential bugs.

My encounter with the Hillside Inn, near Cornell, last year was even worse. Looking over the many terrible reviews the mid-priced motels get in this town, I'm beginning the think that only by splurging will you get a good night's sleep in Ithaca.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Traveler83729
Paso Robles
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We were booked for two days so my son could check out Cornell. We only lasted one night. The toilet didn't work when we got there. I asked for someone to fix it, but had to wait because they didn't have enough staff. There was mold in the bathtub, stains on the towels, and a terrible smell. The restaurant attached wasn't any better... My recommendation is to stay away from this dump!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LoriLTH
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Attended a wedding over the 4th of July weekend and stayed here. What a mistake!! The room was dirty...trash under the bed (for two nights). No toilet paper or tissues. Air conditioning that rumbled through the night and sheets that didn't fit the bed. The restaurant was never open. Breakfast was....minimal at best. At hotwire we paid $109 a night. Hear the desk clerk quote someone on the phone $129 a night. This place is only worth $30 a night. Having traveled a lot over the past few years, this was a terrible awakening. In this day and age, places like this really do exist. This is the first place in years I haven't left a tip for the housekeeper. Wifi didn't work unless you went outside the room. Don't stay here. You'll be safer and more comfortable sleeping in the car.

Room Tip: find another hotel/motel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ihopp
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here in late June 2014 for only a 1 day, 1 night visit to Cornell University. Overall, I enjoyed the stay here and had not complaints. Pricing was in line with what I expected and what was given. As it is a motel style, you do have to walk/drive to your room. That said, good cable channels, clean, hot/cold water, working facilities, and bathroom amenities provided. The A/C worked well but it did look somewhat worn down. The Internet was workable but not that fast. At night, the parking lot is nearly pitch-black; this could present a concern for safety and security issues that I think the motel needs to address with strategic placement of some lights. The front desk was professional and to the point; not too much chit-chat but got the job done efficiently and quickly without delay for both check-in and check-out.
In terms of location...great location! There is a small mall area right across the street where two supermarkets (Tops and Wegmans) are located, Chili's, Barnes & Noble, Michael's, and other normal stores and services within the quick walking radius.
If I had a choice, I'd definitely stay here again. No perfect only because of the mediocre Internet and the dark parking lot. Everything else was as advertised and very good.

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking. Also, motel is composed of 2 stories. So, you'll want to ask to be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Don M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I cannot even begin to describe the absolute nightmare of a visit my family had on our college trip to Cornell. My review of this dungeon is not a way of disparaging the owners, but of warning everyone on God's good Earth to stay the hell away from this place. I pity all who must stay here.

After a three hour drive, my family finally found the Meadow Court Inn in a relatively okay location, though I can say now it is in an awful location. We checked in with a very rude front desk clerk, got our key to our room, and were looking forward to settling in for the night. Upon opening our door, we realized our mistake.

The room was filthy. The lighting was dim; most of the bulbs were out. There was no bolt on the door; we pushed suitcases and furniture against the door each night to prevent intruders. I even slept with my laptop under my pillow and my phone in my pocket. The television was fuzzy, the floor was ridden with sharp objects and dead bugs, some of them so large you would think we were underground. The bathroom was so horrific that none of us showered in our two night stay. The toilet was clearly not cleaned since the end of World War I, the sink had more cracks than the Rosetta Stone, and the shower amenities were half empty. While we understand the hotel is a quick overnight stay for most people, it was blatantly obvious the staff took absolutely no concern with guest satisfaction.

Since a television show we all liked was on that night, we wanted to find out what channel CBS was, where we could find good dinner, and what the wifi password was. We called the front desk, but no one answered. We tried again. And again. On the fourth ring, a woman begrudgingly answered. I asked her what channel CBS was. Her response:
"I don't know. Check the channel listing."
"Where's that?"
"The desk."
It was not in the desk.
"Where can we find a good dinner spot?" I asked.
"Uh..." the woman paused, "Try Wegmans."
Okay. A grocery store. Fine. Already annoyed with this woman, I asked her what the wifi password was. She gave me a roundabout answer about 2s and 10s and it wasn't until she was half shouting at me that I realized she was trying to say the password was the number 2 typed out 10 times. Following this exchange, she hung up.

By now, if you are still thinking of staying here, you must have incredibly incredibly INCREDIBLY low standards.

That first night, none of us could sleep. We were haunted by the sounds and shatters of our neighbors. The beds were very uncomfortable and the sheets smelled like licorice dipped in fondue laced with mold. My mother screamed twice in the night.

The next morning, we were looking forward to the complimentary breakfast offered with the room. I have stayed in many hotels with terrible rooms but decent breakfast, so I went in with an open mind. The restaurant included in the hotel was locked. Confused, we went to the front desk. The woman glared at us and pointed behind us at a small table against the wall.
"That's breakfast," she said and stormed into the back room to watch a TV.
The breakfast was stale muffins, stale toast, stale bagels, and bitter orange juice. No coffee, nothing substantial. And hardly breakfast.

When we returned to our Motel of Mortification, we found our room had been attended to. By attended to, I mean the sheets had been pulled up the bed. They were not changed. They were not washed. The same cigarette burns in the comforter were still there. Nothing in the room had been cleaned.

The second night went as the first, with hardly any sleep. The following morning, we went for our excuse of a breakfast, only to learn that complimentary breakfast was only offered on weekends. The weekdays meant a pricey breakfast in the restaurant. Appalled, we voiced our absolute discontent. The front desk clerk did not summon the manager. She just shrugged and retreated into the office.

I just cannot even believe a hotel like this exists. When I read five star ratings for this cesspool of horrors, I cannot believe how people could have enjoyed an experience here. If you are driving through Ithaca, exhausted, about to pass out at the wheel, and you see the Meadow Court Inn, keep driving. Risk death. Your stay here will be emotionally scarring. I'd rather stay at the hotel from the Shining. Or that episode of Doctor Who.

Cavete hoc deversorio

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Ever. Even if it's between this and the produce aisle at Wegmans. There ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family