“Clean, roomy suite. Recommended.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
London, ON
“Clean, roomy suite. Recommended.”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

This appeared to be a fairly new or at least well-maintained hotel. Check-in was painless and the type of room I booked was available. Mattress was a little too soft for my liking, but that's a personal choice. Free WiFi was nice, though a little sluggish. Free breakfast was wonderful to have, even if the eggs and sausage were a little 'bouncy'. Hotel had a pool and hot tub which seemed to be in good condition. Nice exercise room too. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is a short drive outside of Ithaca itself, but if you don't mind this it probably makes for a quieter stay. Would return to this hotel if in the area again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Very nice new hotel in ithaca good pool and patio and great rooms stay hear if in ithaca

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We arrived at midnight, with a guaranteed reservation for a non-smoking room. The clerk said that our room had been given away to another guest because their room had a problem with the lock, so the only room available to us was a smoking room. I told him that we can't stay in a smoking room, for medical reasons. He was nice enough, but said we were the last to arrive, so...

So, there we stood there, after a long day driving, at midnight, with nowhere to stay. I think the clerk expected us to just leave. After pressing him to 'do something', the clerk called the front desk manager, who was not at the hotel. The clerk called around to some other hotels and they were full. He finally found us a room at another hotel. I asked if they would pay for our night at the other hotel. He said that the front desk manager told him not to, since technically there was one room available and we were 'choosing' not to take it.

So, we arrived at midnight, spent a half hour figuring out where to stay for the night, schlepped over to the only hotel with a room available, paid a last-minute rate at the new hotel, paid for our own breakfast the next morning, and had to get up early in the morning to be somewhere. And, the hotel which did not honor our reservation offered us NOTHING to compensate for the inconvenience???

Unbelievable and I have taken it up with the corporate office. This is not the Hilton experience I am used to, as a Gold Honors member.

(We had actually stayed at this hotel previously and found it quite satisfactory. Our only complaint on the previous stay was that the room and kitchen were not cleaned very well.)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trvl2
Waltham, MA
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We arrived late in the evening, around 10:00pm, and asked if there were any available rooms. The desk person told us we could get a "king studio" for $189, to which we agreed. Unfortunately, she told us it was her third day on the job, and she didn't know how to use the computer system yet, so we'd have to wait for her coworker. (On a side note, I'd like to know what was covered on her first two days of the job; if I was training someone to work the computers at the registration desk of a hotel, the first thing I would teach them is... to work the computers). While we waited for her coworker, we chatted it up with her, talking about our mini-odyssey to that particular hotel that night. We were camping nearby when severe thunderstorms began (quite literally 3 minutes after I got a fire going and began cooking dinner), and a tree branch fell cut a hole in the tent, making it the opposite of waterproof.

In any case, her coworker came over, and then claimed the "king studio" had just been taken (even though we could hear the person he was helping and they were not making a new reservation, nor was there anyone else in line to register, at 10pm on a Sunday night). But he'd be happy to put us in a "king suite" for $209.

I've never seen a bait and switch at a hotel, and surely not for a measly $20, but he knew we were in a bit of a bind, so rather than leave and hunt around for another place to stay, we accepted the room. I'm 29 years old and have a good 50 years left in me to not stay at Homewood Suites, so this crafty business man's plan is probably not going to pay off in the long run for his company.

The room was new and clean, which was all we were really looking for. However, the following morning, while walking through the little kitchen to grab a cup for water, I nearly stepped on a large piece of glass on the floor. It was about the size of my thumb - maybe 1 inch wide by 2 inches long, sort of concave. Thankfully, the sharp edges were pointing down and the convex part was facing up, or else I would have probably been heading to the hospital for some stitches. As for how the glass got there, I haven't the slightest idea. We looked through the cabinets for a broken glass or bowl, but there was none to be found. If something had broken on the floor, I don't see how one could have missed this piece when cleaning it up.

So between the $20 bait-and-switch, and the inexplicable glass on the floor, I'd have to say I will be avoiding this hotel & brand in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MikeTA
WA state
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We had a little trouble finding it, but the GPS eventually got us there. Once there, it was very handy for going back and forth to the nearby Cornell campus. Prior reviews and photos are accurate in terms of our experience, though we found everything to be spotless and we didn't interact much with staff, other than at check-in which was quick and smooth.

The only criticism we had was the heating/cooling system, which had a ultra hyped up fan that blew too cold when in a temperature regulating mode, e.g. whether we moved it to a higher or lower desired temp, the cold air blew hard. I had to put a pillow over the vent to be able to stand in that part of the room.

Otherwise, it was a super place to stay. Very commodious.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

On a recent trip to Ithaca I had the pleasure of staying at the Homewood Suites on a moments notice. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. My room was spotless and the amenities were wonderful. The beds were comfortable and the kitchen area was a bonus. There is even a free light dinner served downstairs in the breakfast area. It was great. They served grilled Talapia, garden vegetables, tossed salad, beer and wine. It saved me having to go out looking for a place to eat. I can't think of one negative thing to say about this hotel. I will definitely stay here whenever I'm back in the Ithaca area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Newer, clean hotel. Friendly staff. Rooms were nicely laid out and perfect for a few day stay. Beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was better than the average hotel breakfast. The only bad thing was the pool was closed for the first night (chemical problem) and when we finally got down there the next day it was smaller than we anticipated. All around great stay!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family