“Always The Best!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Ontario, Canada
“Always The Best!”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This year was our third, with our Westies, at the Inn. Going to Ithaca & staying at the Inn on Columbia has become our traditional "family holiday" with our "fur kids." However, we don't stay at the Columbia just because it's dog freindly, (or because the resident German Shepard "Sophie" is so cute). Our hosts, Kenn & Madeline, are both gracious & accomodating. They create an ambiance that is at once welcoming, & elegant (& Madeline's breakfasts are something you'd expect to find in New York City, so be sure not to miss one!). With several properties & room types to choose from, you'll be hard pressed to find a better place from which to explore the Finger Lakes region.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, NY
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My family had a wonderful stay at the Inn on Columbia this past week! When traveling with a 4 yr old you never know what to expect. The hosts were beyond gracious, finding books and toys for my daughter to play with. And making delicious cheesy eggs especially for her, while preparing luscious gourmet breakfasts for all the adults! We stayed in the Carriage House, which had a terrific couch/sleeper bed for our daughter, and a bedroom with a door for my husband and me. The décor is sleek, sophisticated, yet so warm and inviting. Our daughter can’t wait to return, and neither can we -- to this oasis in the middle of Ithaca !

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
East Greenwich, RI
Reviewed 9 February 2009

If your travel takes you to Ithaca for business or pleasure, I highly recommend this beautifully designed Inn. I stayed in the top-floor room in the main house, with adjacent bathroom. Immaculate. Welcoming. Comfortable. Excellent breakfast with hosts bending over backwards to offer movies, snacks, info about the area. I stayed for a very productive two days, and want to bring my wife back when the leaves are on the trees. Overall, an excellent experience and a great value.

• Liked — Design and architectural elements, hospitality, comfort
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul A
New York
Reviewed 11 December 2008

The inn, while aesthetically pleasing, was expensive and an overall let down. To start, the room was small, the tub in the bathroom looked as though it hadn't been thoroughly cleaned in some time, and the towels were damp. In addition, there was a leak in the bathroom, most likely the result of a problem with the roof. The breakfast, which arrived in a box in the fridge downstairs, included store-bought muffins and fruit that wasn’t especially fresh. In the communal kitchen, there weren’t a sufficient number of coffee cups for the guests and some of the yogurt had expired. When I brought these problems to the architect owner's attention, he didn't seem especially concerned with my dissatisfaction. I felt as though he was somehow doing me—a paying customer—a favor by letting me stay in his inn.

• Stayed October 2008
2 Thank RiverdaleNewYork
columbiaIthaca, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this review, 16 December 2008
We regret that this guest had a negative experience at Inn on Columbia. Our staff works very hard to insure that our guests have a clean, comfortable and pleasant environment and we hate to have unhappy guests. This reviewer's concerns were addressed as soon as they were brought to our attention. Had we known the extent of her disappointment we would have done anything possible to change her impression of our inn.

Madeline Young
washington, dc
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We stayed at the Inn on Columbia for our honeymoon. It was very easy to book online and Madeline was accessible via email. We stayed with our two dogs and found that the b & b was very pet friendly! We also stayed in the room in the main house which we found clean, comfortable, quiet, and safe. When we arrived we even found a small goodie bag with dog treats inside! Overall, we had a great experience. Excellent breakfasts, comfortable bed, and a clean environment. Also, a nice place to stay if you like your privacy and are interested in walking around the Commons area of Ithaca.

• Liked — Clean, safe, and pet friendly
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed 24 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Inn on Columbia to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was actually our second time there together, staying in the spacious and serene Carriage House, and we've loved it both times. We enjoy having our own space (our own building, in fact) and the decor of the suite is both warm and sleek at the same time, pampering and uplifting. I love being in the treetops while taking a bath and we enjoy bringing a bottle of wine as the cabinets are decked with all the china and glassware one could need. We had treatments at a local spa, went to an excellent sushi restaurant a few blocks away and attended a show at the historic State Theatre. In the morning, a scrumptious box of muffins and pastries awaits, along with orange juice, coffee and bottled water. We've also eaten breakfast in the main house, and that was to die-for! Madeline is a fantastic cook with a fresh, seasonal, creative and light touch. She could be a chef. The main house is also serene and the breakfast table is gorgeously set. In the afternoon, there are fresh-baked cookies, tea and lemonade available for guests' enjoyment.

The owners are extremely well-traveled and discerning diners, so they know all the best places to eat in Ithaca and provide a wealth of information for those visiting to hit the spots with the finest quality, local experience. They're incredibly warm and helpful and have much higher standards than most inns and B&B's. You won't find lace and teddy bears here, but instead, warm cherry wood, clean lines, interesting design touches, a palette of serene but vibrant colors and all the amenities of a fine hotel from wireless internet to natural soaps, terry bathrobes and bold coffee. In short, the inn and the owners are classy and intelligent, and one feels in great hands when staying here. It's perfectly located to explore the Ithaca Commons on foot and a great launch pad for a downtown experience or to visit either Cornell or Ithaca College.

I also stayed in the Hudson Apartment once and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Again, I love this annex building because it's located on a cute residential street and one really gets the feel of being part of Ithaca. It's located a few hundred steps from the main house and so one has the privacy of an urban apartment with sharp decor and cushy amenities. Our friends from France stayed here while on a wine business trip and also loved the Hudson Apartment. They arrived to the airport at midnight and had no trouble finding it by taxi with Kenn's directions. He met them first thing in the morning to show them how to operate the front door key storage, and they had enjoyed a satisfying in-suite breakfast by the time we picked them up to tour the wine region at 9am. They stayed two nights and were extremely happy and positive about the accomodations, saying they were perfect, very comfortable and provided everything they could possibly need.

I look forward to spending future romantic getaways at the Inn on Columbia and will recommend it to any friends who visit this area.

• Liked — Outstanding design and top-notch breakfast
  • Disliked — Look forward to staying in the Gazebo in future--It's always booked!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank BonVoyagers
Boston
Reviewed 26 February 2008

From the web site to the breakfast I was impressed beyond my already high expectations.

My fiancee and I stayed in the Villa Madeline in the downstairs red room. The room, the Villa, and the Main house are just beautiful - take some time to appreciate the innovative use of space and hand crafted furniture.

One of the proprietors is a successful product of the Architecture School at Cornell University, and his attention to holistic design elements pervades the entire property. Don't miss the change to look through the before and after photographs to truly appreciate how much work and care has gone into restoring this historic home.

Now that I've described the physical property, I also want to compliment the attentiveness and professionalism of the owners. I called Madeline a few days before I planned to arrive and got her answering machine, but she called me back within 2 minutes to discuss what I was looking for. Our conversation was both efficient and warm.

Arriving in Ithaca in the dark of a rainy night, I called the Kenn who helped advise me on proper directions, and even met us on the road as he was out walking his dog to help guide us to our home-for-the-night like a lighthouse.

I am allergic to eggs, and requested the vegan breakfast cautiously, happy to feed myself if that would be too much trouble. Rather, Madeline seemed happy to report that she had just baked some vegan muffins which were beautifully presented, gorgeous to behold and tasty according to both me and my anything but vegan fiancee.

If you like architecture, design, or just a very comfortable good night sleep in the care of dedicated owners who are both professional and kind, STAY HERE.

Do note, if you wish to stay here during Cornell or Ithaca College commencement, book now for 2012 or later!

A post script - someone has posted an anonymous negative review of the Inn on Columbia and I just don't think it's possible. Not sure what happened there, but do not be discouraged. If their experience was at all as they described (and I'm hesitant to believe that it was) it was a fluke - this is a good place.

• Liked — The people, the architecture, the choice in color, the little touches, and the comfort.
  • Disliked — The shower was too high and not hot enough for me, but really not bad.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business