“Ithaca Best Western”

Best Western University Inn
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very clean rooms and grounds. Excellent breakfast, buffet, waffles and fresh fruit. Convenient to both colleges and downtown. Close to a shopping plaza with good restaurants close by. Parking was very convenient to all the entrances. This Best Western supplied a shuttle van to both colleges as well as to some local houses of worship. Wifi is free. The price was competitive with the hotels in the area. I believe going through Hotwire helped. Ithaca on weekends can be very expensive due to the demand by parents coming to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Leobg3,
We certainly appreciate your kind comments about the breakfast and shuttle service! I hope you had a chance to experience Agava at the end of our plaza.

On some special event weekends, like Homecoming and football games, rates and rooms may be at a premium. If I can help with an affordable price when you return to Ithaca, I would be happy to make your reservation personally. Please call me at 1-607-272-6100.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Room was nice and clean and location was nice – by Cornell and close to the Taughannock falls and Watkins Glen Park. Breakfast (nice), parking and WiFi were free. We arrived late at night and it was really cold but could not use the air-condition since it made awful noises and a bad smell. A team of tennis players stayed there and it got quite noisy from early hours of the morning. It was totally overpriced for the room and service we received.

Dear Merav,
While we love your comments about the location of the hotel and breakfast, we are disappointed that the air conditioning was not working in proper order. I have printed this for our maintenance department. Because of our proximity to the Reis Tennis Center, we do get tennis teams staying with us, but ensure the coach for each team is housed adjacent to the students. When you return to Ithaca, I would pleased to offer a discount. Please contact me at jmcmann@twintierhospitality.com.
Jim Mcmann

Reviewed 17 September 2013

If you are visiting Cornell university then this is one of the closest hotels, although it was way overpriced for what you get. The rooms and hotel is good quality. It includes a good quality breakfast.

The location of the hotel is good. Parking is free, Wifi internet is free.

Wish they would lower the price, then this would get a much higher rating.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

We are sorry that you felt the price of the room did not match the accommodations. Our rates do vary throughout the year. Thank you for your positive comments on our breakfast. Should your plans include coming back to Ithaca in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 1-607-272-6100 and I will personally give you an affordable rate.
Best,

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Definitely not worth the cost of the room. Temp could not be regulated in the room, blow dryer broken, very rude van driver. Would sleep in my car before staying there again. That was the fourth Best Western we stayed at during our vacation and it was the least favorable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Carol F

I am very disappointed that you had an unacceptable stay with us. Although this can't make your stay any better, I have printed your comments for our maintenance department. My General Manager will speaking with our shuttle driver regarding your comments. Please don't hesitate to contact me with further comments about your stay.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

A last minute booking through hotwire and we ended up in this hotel for two nights. I must admit, when I called on Tuesday to confirm my booking, the front desk clerk was very helpful and accommodated my request to be put in a Polo Suite room immediately. My husband and I were encouraged.

Unfortunately, it went downhill upon arrival. We checked in to find a disappointingly dirty room. I would agree with the previous poster who said that it looked like the bed had been made by a kindergartener, except I'm sure that even small children have better vision than our housekeeper, who missed the upwards of twenty hairs of unknown origin in the sheets and the giant black stain on the corner of the comforter. Also, the room was not recently vacuumed, and featured several large cobwebs in the corners. Thankfully, the PTAC unit worked well, and we did have ac as needed.

The bathroom was disappointingly stocked. Only two bath towels and face towels and one wash cloth for a king size room? So if my husband and I wanted to shower once upon arrival and once the next morning, our only choices were to re-use the towels that were there, or make the long journey to the front to ask for more. We are BW rewards members and Ugh, it was not up to BW standard.

I wasn't sold on the design of the shower either. I'm 5'9, so not short by any means, but even my husband, who is shorter than I, said the set up was at best meant for someone of a child-like stature.

The internet was GOD-AWFUL. It was super slow, and every five minutes or so I was kicked back to the log-in page. It happened so many times I now have the code memorized. I think it will probably follow me to my grave. But seriously, nothing loaded, and I couldn't do work I had counted on getting done. When I called the front desk several times over the course of the first night, I was given several excuses from the weather to a mysterious, "Well, Tech-support says it should be working, but I'll check with them in a little bit" I honestly gave up.

Morning breakfast was, again, not to BW standards. My husband got "crunchies" in his eggs. Don't know what that was about, but I'd recommend staying away from those. Also, no orange juice? I'm sure they were just out of stock, but being that it's a fairly busy hotel, I would have expected better planning.

TV was mediocre at best. When I brought up the several missing channels (including the free HBO that was advertised) and the awful internet service at checkout on Saturday morning, I was given little more than an insincerely sympathetic "Oh, that's too bad." Know what it sounded like? You had a hotwire room, so who cares?

Seriously, the room had some nice touches with the fireplace and the country themed decor. But the execution was WAY off. Do yourself a favor and don't pay such a steep price for a stark disappointment.

Room Tip: If you must stay, ask for a Polo Suite room, but make sure it's clean first.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank U R
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

I can't say how disappointed we were about the state of your room based on your review. Those comments will be printed and given to our executive housekeeper to determine who cleaned the room and take actions with that employee.
Regarding the breakfast, there is no excuse for no orange juice. A 24 hour grocery store is located in our plaza and someone should have gotten supplies.
I am also disappointed with your reception at the front desk. All guests should be respected no matter how their reservations were made. I hope that you will give me a call at 1-607-272-6100 so that we can speak further.
Best,

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was perfect for our 3 night visit to Cornell, because it is very close to the southeast entrance. We were happy with the room - it was clean and very spacious with a high ceiling. The breakfast was fine, with waffle maker, cereals, scrambled eggs...

1  Thank chazster_12
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

We are thrilled that you were able to stay with us for your trip to Cornell University. I hope you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service to the campus. Our shuttle is a real value as the college does have limited parking and we can drop you off and pick you up anywhere on campus. In addition, we are glad you have the chance to have our next extended breakfast! Please call me in the future, should you decide to return to Ithaca and Cornell University.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We used the Best Western as our base while visiting the Finger Lakes area. The room was quite comfortable for three of us, with two queen beds, refrigerator, microwave and thirty something inch flat screen TV. There was a complimentary breakfast with scrambled eggs and sausage patties, also make your own waffles, and pastries, as well as juice and coffee. All together it was an adequate breakfast. A swimming pool is located beside the office, but we did not use it, as the weather did not co-operate.
I would recommend this hotel for most travellers, unless you are looking for something with a restaurant or lounge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FrankLeigh

Thanks for your feedback. Although we don't have a restaurant or lounge, we are adjacent to five restaurants in the East Hill Plaza. In the evening, we do take guests in our shuttle to the downtown Ithaca Commons for dinner.
When you return to the Finger Lakes in the future, please contact me to make your reservations.
Thanks!