“Great Staff and Compasionate”

Best Western University Inn
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Staff and Compasionate”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I could not give manager Jim and his staff a higher rating or thank them enough for the way they responded to our crisis. We live in Charlotte, NC and my wifes service dog needed major surgery that could only be done at Cornell Univ College of Veterinary Medicine. We traveled the 750 miles and checked into another close by motel with Blanca the night before the surgery. The staff there was absolutely rude the moment we came through the front door. The two staff members at the desk and manager had no idea what a service dog was or the ADA laws concerning service dogs. They wanted me to sign a paper on "pets" and pay their $15 "pet charge". I refused, took our room and called their corporate office. Their corporate office was horrified the staff did not know the ADA laws on service dogs. Later that evening the front desk called our room and said the manager would reduce the "pet" charge to $5. I told them I would not even pay that and that I would be calling the Federal ADA non-compliance phone number in the morning to report them. We checked out the next morning and took Blanca to the hospital where the doctor there told us of the Best Western University just off campus and that they surely knew what a service dog was. Blanca had her surgery and we checked into the Best Western University. We stayed there with her post surgery for another 3 nights. Everyone was so kind asking how she was doing and what else could they do for her. We will certainly be staying at the Best Western University for her follow up visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Joe,
We really appreciate your comments on our hotel and staff! it's unfortunate that the first experience with Ithaca didn't go well, but glad that we were able to accommodate you for the remainder of your stay. When you and Bianca return to Ithaca and Cornell University, please e-mail me at jmcmann@twintierhospitality.com and I would be pleased to make your reservation.
Kind regards,
Jim McMann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Centerville
Reviewed 9 November 2013

It is a bit pricey but the staff was lovely, great locations and the free breakfast was very nice! We checked in on a dark Friday night after traveling from Cape Cod to visit Cornell and the woman at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful.

The room prices are a bit high but I wanted a convenient location and this was it. Was able to get around easily and very close to Cornell.

Pr

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lisa,
Thank you for your comments. Although there are times in Ithaca when prices are at a premium(Homecoming, Freshman Family Weekend), we also have dates when rooms are more affordable. Please contact me at jmcmann@twintierhospitality.com to make your reservations the next time you come to Ithaca.
Danville, California
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am writing to share a wonderful experience I had with your hotel staff last Saturday, Oct. 26th. We are from Calif. and my youngest son attends and plays football for Cornell. During the game, he was injured and tore his ACL. My mom, who happened to be in Manhattan, NY visiting some friends, hopped in the car and made the 4 hour drive to see my son. I was very stressed and anxious about everything and wanted to book my mom a room at a hotel where I knew some other football parents were staying so that they could be helpful to her.

I called The Best Western University Inn in Ithaca and was greeted by a lovely young lady named Sarah. She was extremely kind and sympathetic to what I was going through and found me a room at the best rate possible for my mom. Furthermore, when my mom checked in another woman at the front desk (sorry, she didn’t catch her name) moved my mom to a room to be close to one of my son’s friend’s family who was also out visiting him from Calif. Within 30 minutes, another person from the front desk called to check on my mom and make sure everything was ok.

My mom had to check out at 6:30 a.m. to return to Manhattan and met another staff member who let her in the kitchen area to get a snack and some coffee before she left, even though breakfast is not served until 7:00 a.m.

Despite a very stressful day, we were very grateful for the kindness and concern shown by your entire staff and would not hesitate recommending your facility to anyone. They reminded me of the goodness of people, even in the midst of my own stressful day. Thank you!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelly M
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Kelly,
We were really excited with your review of the hotel and especially Sarah. We even called her on her day off to share the new!. Although the circumstances of your visit were unfortunate, we are pleased that our staff provided everything you needed to make sure your stay was as comfortable as possible.
Please let me us know when you plan to return to Ithaca. We also plan to print your review for our daily standup meeting tomorrow.
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2013

First, Ithaca is somewhat of a second home for me. I have two degrees from Cornell and have maintained close ties with my fraternity there. The fraternity has celebrated several major events in recent years and I have attended a number of undergraduate and law school reunions. My interests are focused on the east side of campus and the University Inn has the ideal location for access to the venues I am most interested in.

Second, I respect the Best Western brand and appreciate being able to stay in hotels that are independently owned, have individual character but subscribe to high standards of service and cleanliness. I have stayed at many BWs in Europe as well as the U.S. and know they strive for and usually achieve high levels of hospitality and value.

This is clearly an older property, but it is well maintained and the room amenities are quite reasonable at its price point. The modular shower/bathtub is impeccably clean, the beds have been upgraded, the rooms are quite spacious and the faux fireplace is a nice touch. Lighting is fine in the bathroom and a little on the low end elsewhere in the room.

Parking appears to be generally adequate, although I am a little concerned about security-outside access to the separate buildings is wide open. While security key cards to the rooms, locks and a viewing peephole are sufficient, it appears anyone can enter the buildings at any time. Access to the hotel is a little confusing, especially if you were arriving in the dark.

We had working breakfasts on campus both mornings of our recent weekend stay, so I can't comment on the complimentary breakfast. There is a good sized flat screen television with a wide array of channels, decent wifi internet access throughout, desk, comfortable chairs.

This is a very reasonable choice if you are visiting the Cornell campus and might be a plausible one for other local destinations. The staff cares, witnessed by the careful reading of all TA reviews, and our brief encounters with the front desk and housekeeping. I have stayed at several of their competitors in town and keep coming back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Ulysses4,
I wanted to write you to thank you for your extremely positive review of our property. It's comments like those that clearly demonstrate we try every day to make each guest experience a positive one.
I did want to address your concerns about safety. As you know, we are on Cornell grounds and Cornell security regularly patrol the area day and night. I have worked here for over 8 years and we have never had issues.
We hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future and the next time get the chance to enjoy our breakfast. Last weekend, we featured pumpkin waffles and the aroma was incredible!
Safe travels,
Groton, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Love this hotel the staff are very friendly and the room was very clean. I will stay there again and highly recommend this hotel. This is a great hotel if you have kids because it has a pool. I only stay in hotels with poois. It is very convenient to Cornell University as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank for responding to our survey. I have printed a copy for our staff. We look forward to seeing and your family in the future. We are only 1 mile from the Sciencenter and in the summer minutes away from Buttermilk Falls with swimming.
Kind regards,
Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Visiting colleges in the area, my son and I needed a hotel in or near Ithaca, NY. On the recommendation of a friend, I booked a standard room with two beds in the Best Western. I had not stayed in any Best Western before, but I heard that though a bit expensive, one could look forward to a pleasant visit. The Inn is not in a single building, but rather in a several buildings spread out in spacious land above a shopping center. The lobby is in a separate building not far from the long row of room units. Our room was huge with a high ceiling, two large beds, a fold out couch and desk. The bathroom was larger than most hotels with plenty of space to lay out one's shaving, brushing and showering paraphernalia. The shower and tub was also large and the water pressure above average. I don't know about you, but a dinky shower with lousy pressure can ruin the end of an otherwise fine day. The staff was right on the ball for all our needs and provides free van service into Ithaca with twenty minutes notice. My only complaint (and unfortunately this holds true for too many chains these days) the complimentary breakfast is barely edible, with watered down orange juice, stale fruit and cereal that tastes as if it has been around since 1999. Again, as well, paper plates and plastic utensils. Ugh! I know the saying goes that there is no free lunch, but I guess one does get what one pays for- and since the breakfast is complimentary, what should I expect. My advice for anyone who needs it, eat breakfast out. But everything else was better than average at this Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Donald,
Thanks for responding and giving us your review of the Best Western University Inn. I'm glad the room was to your liking and especially liked your comments on the water pressure! I am disappointed that you were not pleased with the breakfast. The breakfast does also feature sausage and eggs and a make your own waffle station. We do tell our guests that we are also adjacent to Collegetown that specializes in flavored coffees and breakfast sandwiches.

Should you and your son return to the Ithaca area in the future, we hope that you will consider our hotel again.
Best regards,
new jersey, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Although listed as a complimentary continental breakfast, it is much more and one of the pluses about BW's. The staff was friendly and courteous. That said, Ithaca is way overpriced and one pays a premium for the proximity to Cornell. The size of the room was fine, although the set-up is a bit strange with multiple separate buildings, requiring one to go outside on the way to breakfast. There is no card key access required to enter the separate buildings. Carpet needed cleaning and the bathroom was in need of some cosmetic repairs. Portions of the parking lot are quite dark, and the address of the hotel is on a street where the driveway entrance was closed off with a chain. Unless one is willing to pay much more for their stay in Ithaca, this may be the best value, although not up to the quality of other Best Westerns where we have stayed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Louis,
Thanks for commenting on your stay with us. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet!!!! I have printed the comments on the housekeeping issues and will be reviewing with our staff, which we do on a daily basis at our standup meeting.
The driveway you approached is a actually a fire lane and has be kept closed. The main entrance is in the East Hill Plaza and each entrance has our name and logo.
Please do keep us in mind when you return to visit Ithaca and Cornell University.
Jim McMann

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels