“Perfectly all right considering the price”

Best Western University Inn
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Asheville, North Carolina
“Perfectly all right considering the price”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I only gave this hotel an average because in many ways it is. The room I had was nice sized and clean and pleasant. It had a fake fireplace that you could turn on and off with a timer switch next to the bed. There actually was more room than I would have expected and it was really quite clean.

The bed was not particularly comfortable. It wasn't bad enough for me to not sleep well but it certainly was not one of those that you drop into after a long and tiring day and say ahh. The bathroom is adequate in most respects although pretty minimal. What I will tell you is that I bought my own toilet paper. The stuff they had was so thin and rough I refused to use it. I didn't know anyone made such thin one-ply TP but as far as I am concerned it was worse than what I experienced in a cheap hotel in Izmir Turkey in 1972.

I asked for a couple things from the front desk that should have been handled by housekeeping but neither was. It wasn't the end of the world, and I actually got two decent nights' sleep without spending much money. Just don't go to this hotel expecting more than the 2-2.5 star rating most places give it. Limit your expectations and you will be perfectly satisfied.

Room Tip: I was in the 400 wing or rooms which was quiet and made for a very convenient walk to Agava Restaura...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear pyrprshr,
I am disappointed that your recent stay was only okay. The Polo rooms we put you are actually quite in demand due to the quiet surroundings away from the main building.
However, the amenities you expected from housekeeping, we agree, should be have been in the room before you got here. We are glad you were able to get a good night's sleep.

We hope that you will consider us again in the future.
Jim McMann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Harrisonburg, VA, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Ten of us were in Ithaca for an informal reunion of our Peace Corps group, which was formed in 1964 and went to Thailand. We chose our hotel pretty much at random, primarily because it was close to Cornell, where a Thai ceramic collection is housed (We wanted a small educational component to our get-together). While we weren't surprised at the hospitality -- the competence, professionalism, and always pleasant disposition of the entire staff -- nor the attractiveness of the property, we all felt choosing such a Best Western specifically this Best Western, played a major role in making our reunion so thoroughly enjoyable and memorable. And at this age, making something "memorable" ain't easy. Thanks to all at Ithaca's Best Western.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi, John,
Wow, that review you wrote really makes our work that much more enjoyable. We are thrilled that Best Western played a role in making your reunion go so well. We hope your next get together brings you back to Ithaca. Cornell has so many art collections, including the Johnson Museum!
Kind regards,
Poconos, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our second time using this hotel for visiting Ithaca College. Other than a dirty looking smoke alarm, and wi-fi that was not as speedy as some, it was clean and pleasant. The breakfast was great. At $180 per night, a bit expensive, but not compared to other hotels in Ithaca.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Hi, Carla,
Your comments on the hotel are really appreciated. We have printed your e-mail for our maintanence department to follow up on the smoke alarm. We hope to see you again when visiting Ithaca College.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Appearance of the hotel is adequate. Nothing special, just practical/functional. Staff is very helpful. Rooms are small but decor is nice and homey. Comlimentary brekfast a nice touch for what is offered. It is not a full breakfast nor did we expect to recieve a complete brekfast. Staff made sure there was always a fresh supply of items available. . Check your bedding/linen as they were not as fresh as it could have been.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear 336,
Thank you for your comments. Although we are pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast, we are disappointed that you found the accommodations less than favorable. The Best Western does make numerous improvements including bedding, towels and blankets.
I hope that should you return to Ithaca in the future, you will give another try. Please don't hesitate to contact me at 1-607-272-6100 and I will make your reservation personally.
Long Island, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family of five stayed one night for a college visit; the room was spacious enough for us to fit comfortably with the pull-out in use along with the two double beds- The bed linens were a bit Spartan, could have been a bit more sumptuous- Breakfast was ample, with a decent variety- Coffee was good- Accommodations were fine for our purpose-

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Eric,
We appreciate your kind words during your Cornell stay with us. We hope that when you decide to come back to Ithaca, you will give us a call. Don't forget Homecoming this fall!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Dirty room, stains on bedding! Dirty bathroom, looked like, it was not even mopped... will not stay there again and will not recommend. Very nice person at check in! Great location if you want to visit the universities in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your constructive review of the hotel. There is no excuse for the state of the bedding and bathroom during your stay. We keep track of who cleans the rooms and that person will be given this review and put in their file. I hope that you will give us a second chance should you return to Ithaca in the future.
Jim McMann

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was one of the hotels offered for a recent wedding and having stayed in other Best Westerns, I expected a lot and was deeply disappointed. Everything in the room looked outdated. The bed was so uncomfortable, my wife and I never got any sleep. The hotel also didn't offer a free breakfast. I don't think I've ever been to a BW that didn't offer free breakfast. I won't be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Best47958, Director of Sales at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thanks for taking to time to let us know about your recent stay. I regret that you felt the hotel was outdated. We have just received all new bedding that we will be putting in the rooms this week. All of the bathrooms were updated last year.

I am a bit confused about the breakfast comment. We do serve a full hot breakfast daily 7am-10am. The breakfast room is on the right when you enter the hotel. Out front desk staff is instructed to let all guests checking where the breakfast room is located. If you have more comments, please don't hesitate to contact me at 1-607-272-6100.