“Why would you go here?”

Ranked #3 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Ithaca
Paris, France
“Why would you go here?”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

If you want a standardized product that is the same everywhere you go then Starbucks is the place for you. But in a place full of lovely little cafes exuding charm and individuality with different options and homemade for I do not understand why Starbucks is even in business. Its not even cheaper.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Wizak

• Korean first
Mid-Atlantic
“Gimme Starbucks”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I've tried the local coffee shops, always up for a new coffee experience especially if the beans are just roasted and ground, and the shop offers an extra bold dark brew.

Really, I got weary of inconsistent coffee at some of the "renowned" shops. The coffee at Ithaca Bakery in Collegetown is pretty good - really hot on a bitter cold day which might be why I liked it better than other places. Gimme Coffee was my favorite place for quite a while, but then I had 3 poor experiences in a row, one with bitter coffee that I couldn't drink.

Lately, I've been getting my coffee at Starbucks. Yes, Starbucks, the place I've assiduously avoided for years. I really like the coffee - full bodied, super hot, and a good size even for the smallest take-out cup (which has a nice, tight lid and keeps the coffee hot for a long time).

My complaint is that customers who just want a basic cup of joe can end up standing in line for a very long time, waiting for the baristas to prepare complicated drinks with flavors and toppings. I wish there was an express line - a sort of "grab-and-go."

I am surprised at how much I really like this particular Starbucks.

1 Thank Seaurchin1
Ithaca, NY
“There is a much better local place!”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

If you like sweet dessert drinks or simple coffee, Starbucks is fine, but it is not cheap. Their coffee is good. Their espresso drinks are a joke (weak and overpriced)! Ithaca is the home of Gimme! coffee, which makes espresso that matches what you will find in Italian (coffee) bars. I'd rather spend my money on a local business that makes far superior products...Gimme! (there are several locations in Ithaca...and recently in NYC...check them out)!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“COFFEE - what can I say?”
Reviewed 3 January 2008