“Reasonable price and right downtown”
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I used hotwire to book this place, so I got a bit of a discount.

I was in town for an event at Cornell, but I wasn't interested in paying Cornell prices to stay in Ithaca for the night. For under $100 a night, this place wasn't bad.

I've been to better and cleaner Holidays Inns, but by no means was this a bad hotel. My room room faced the front of the property and was surprisingly quiet given how close we were to the street.

The hotel is right downtown and a four minute drive to Cornell. You can also walk to the pedestrian mall they have downtown for some nice stores and good eats.

The hotel also had a nice business centre with a door for some privacy.

I'd go back any day.

Room Tip: Avoid staying near the back parking lot. It's noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Basically exactly how the title describes. This hotel was OK but the rooms were extremely expensive for a holiday inn that definitely didn't blow me away. The room smelled damp, the pool was extremely small and could hardly stay in the room because of the strong smell of cholorine, The staff was friendly but the maids were slow and don't knock very loud before barging into your room. We were there for a wedding and the rooms were booked way in advance but we were allowed the earliest check in which was 3:30. Most other guests didn't get into there room til after 4 and we had to be at the re-hearsal dinner by 5. This was very inconvenient and seemed very late to check in. They kind of have a monopoly on the Ithaca area because its just them and the Hilton so they can charge what they want. Also the night after the wedding the fire alarm went off (I realize this isn't the hotels fault) but it just added to my overall dislike of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear nimrod2518,

We appreciate your honest and candid feedback about your stay. I am happy you were able to check in early. I am sorry some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the unusual smell of the room, pool and housekeeping services received during your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and we strive to provide competitive rates within the area. I'm deeply sorry that we fell below your expectations. I have noted you valuable comments and I will make sure that this will be looked into and be forwarded to the departments involved for improvements.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and concern. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for Cornell's graduation weekend this past May. Our reservation was made 3 years earlier whereby we were required to pay in full (approx $1500 for the 3 night minimum), by check. I guess our $500 a night room was deemed an economy rate, as we were sent to a wing of the hotel that was 5 minutes away from the main lobby. Luckily we were overlooking the parking lot so we were able to keep an eye on our car overnight. The room, with 2 Queen beds, was small and decor very dated. Linens did not appear clean and the next day my daughter found stains on the bedsheets. We were grossed out. The day after our arrival, we ran out of toilet paper. We made numerous calls to the front desk asking housekeeping to bring us reinforcements, but they never came. My son had to go out and buy a roll of TP for the bathroom. Additionally, housekeeping never came by to make the beds or straighten up the bathroom, even after I called the desk and left a note on the housekeeping cart outside my room. This hotel is so sub-par, we checked out after 2 nights willingly forfeiting the monies we paid, since we could not bear to spend another night here.

I realize how atypically hectic any graduation weekend can be, but one would expect a hotel to be prepared for the additional demands the event would create and plan accordingly. While we knew how grossly overcharged we were due to demand outstripping supply for hotel accommodations in Ithaca, we at least expected to be comfortable and able to enjoy use of a clean room. The Holiday Inn corporation should strip this hotel of its right to use its name, as its such a blight on the chain and its reputation. If you're coming for graduation weekend, let alone any other time; either find somewhere, anywhere else to stay or opt for the Cornell dorms at graduation time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NYCityfoodie
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have stayed here before and had a decent experience, however I wanted to share my most recent experience which I'd describe as sub-par.The weekend was busy, so i can understand their inability to accomodate my request for a room with two beds instead of one (it was last minute). I was placed in a room located essentially in what is an extension of the hotel into the parking lot (cars driving by at 2am sounded like they were driving through the room). My father joined me on my trip at the last minute and since we are both full grown men, it was not possible nor comfortable for us to share the queen and since i was racing an olympic distance triathlon the next morning, i was forced to make my father sleep on a roll away which was not much more than a large bag into which someone had thrown a handful of metal springs. The section of rooms im describing are located in between the parking lot and the pool (the hallway to these rooms is seperated and is not air conditioned) I believe its because of their location adjacent to the pool and lack of temperature regulation in the hallways that makes these rooms smell like a wet dog inside of a bar before the no-smoking in bars legislation was enacted. Staff seemed friendly enough, and again i know that the rooms located in the central part of the hotels are nice. In the end i paid $200 to sleep in a smelly room in a parking lot.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Nolan T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear Nolan T,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am pleased that you mentioned that our hotel staff was friendly. We are very proud of our hotel and our high standards for service, cleanliness and quality as well as competitive rates in the area. I would like to sincerely apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I'm truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered due to the room accommodations, unusual smell of the room and noise brought about by the cars and other guests. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Nice city, hotel clean, staff friendly. We did not eat at the Hotel Restaraunt... Free parking, no hassles. Hotel is close to downtown Commons area and Restaurants, we walked to a nice restaraunt for dinner, although we were warned most stopped service dinner after 10pm. A short drive up the hill to Ithaca College or Cornell.

Room Tip: be patient driving to Ithaca... rural area...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2012

If you get a good price, it is an acceptable budget hotel close to Ithaca Commons, with attentive fron desk service. Room could have been cleaner.
Adjacent parking lot was small, and parking was difficult to find.
Avoid the onsite restaurant - food was overpriced and not so good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Good hotel, centrally located, clean rooms, ample parking. Not a deluxe hotel, but certainly a fine hotel, and a good value for your money.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view. Annex has only two stories.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family