“Could be okay but where are the curtains?”
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel got barely lukewarm reviews in Trip Advisor, but we really needed a hotel room for my daughter's Ithaca College concerts, so we made a reservation for one night at the Holiday Inn. The location is great. The room was clean. We got a complimentary water and small bottle of wine for signing up for the rewards program. The staff were friendly. Everything good so far. The room was fine - it's a Holiday Inn - not a five star hotel - a good price, nice room EXCEPT we were facing the parking ramp and there was no curtain to draw! There was only the sheer curtain. Several times during the night I woke up and the room had an orange glow from the parking garage lights. Seriously? I would definitely stay there again if they invested in some room darkening curtains. I heard from a local that they were renovating the rooms. Maybe they hadn't made it to the curtains yet. I would definitely consider staying there again, if I had a room with curtains, because it is a great location, and otherwise the hotel was fine - a Holiday Inn at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

We appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn- Ithaca Downtown to stay while your daughter visits Ithaca College. We are in fact starting renovations this November. Unfortunately it is a common oversight but there are black out curtains behind the sheers which sometimes get hidden but the drapes. Please next time if you have difficulty finding them contact our front desk and we will be happy to show you. Hope to see you on your next visit to Ithaca.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for a recent wedding. The rooms were well appointed and the staff was extremely friendly. We lost our luggage on the way to Ithaca. The luggage was delivered at 2 am, and the staff kindly held the bags until early the next morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

We are pleased to hear that our staff was helpful for your stay here in Ithaca. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the wedding you were in town even with the hiccups you encountered.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

The hotel choices in Ithaca are fairly slim pickings; aside from the Statler, you're not going to get luxury. That said, the Holiday Inn is very conveniently located near the Commons and not too far from the college campuses. I found the hotel to be extremely clean and comfortable. We stayed in the tower, and had nice views of the surrounding area. The highlight of our stay was the friendly front desk staff, which checked us in efficiently, came through in a pinch with a Blackberry charger, and loaded us up with awesome free bath amenities (Tom's of Maine toothpaste!) when we realized we'd forgotten our own. I think I dealt with about five different people over the course of our stay and every person was friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that the parking lot filled up at night so we had to park on the street, but meters are free overnight and the lot had cleared out by the time we needed to move the car the next morning at 9am.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

HI has tried to update this very dated property - lobby lovely, rooms leave much to be desired. I asked for the room the front desk mgr would choose for herself. Right off lobby and main corridor, 1st floor. Door not fully closed by ? Housekeeper -swells and must be forced closed. Old smoke smell greeted me. Room decor somewhat welcoming. Dirty, dirty window sills over noisy room ac/heat source. View - my car parked outside my window. Checked bed for bugs - always do that - and found mattress pad very deteriorated. Clearly not laundered regularly - would not have made it thru washer in one piece. Dirty glass rings on the night stand from previous occupant. Towels folded to look cute.

Internet use password used month and date. So on 9/30 @ midnight my login no longer worked for my am of 10/1. huh?..... This must happen about 12 times per year......

$170/night. No re-fridge, dated, not cleaned well, linens very shabby. 3block walk to attractions dark and with minimal foot traffic. Would only return if I had to. Hilton Garden Inn 2 blocks away, $40/night more, clean, fresh, friendly - very worth price difference.

Room Tip: Can't offer one. Front office mgr placed me in her room of choice and you have seen what that yi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Reluctantbsnstravel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Holiday Inn Ithaca is a clean hotel in a good part of Ithaca, downtown, 2 blocks from the Commons, a nice multi-block section of shops where the street is permanently a pedestrian mall.

15-20 years ago, he Holiday Inn was THE premium hotel in Ithaca (excluding Cornell's Statler Hotel). I stayed in the two-story section, which seems more dated than the tower.

The room was generally clean. Decent size. But dated decor. Parking lot was full, but spots were available across the street. AC unit was quite noisy.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MPCLDC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear MPCLDC,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

The first room I was given smelled like a musty basement, I asked to be changed and they were very amenable and apologetic. The second room I was given had some nice surprises for me. A non-working heater, a toilet that ran all night, a dirty band aid on the floor.....and a PUBE on the sink! Gross!! I mentioned all this to the front desk the following morning and again, they were very nice and apologized by giving me a coupon for a free breakfast. They assured me that they would make sure the cleaning staff did a good job on the room while I was gone for the day. Well....just got back and there's still someone else's dirty bandaid on the floor. Seriously gross is all I can say.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Robyn R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Robyn R,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our hotel. We really appreciate that feedback you have given us as we are always looking for ways we can improve. We take great pride in having a clean hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services. We are really disappointed to hear about your experience particularly the poor cleanliness of the room accommodations you encountered. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I first stayed here in May of last year and my review is posted for that period. Since then I have stayed twice more this year including last week and want to add a couple more observations. First while the location is nice in terms of being in the middle of town with movie and performing theaters, bars, restuarants, banks, transportation center, dirt mall etc there is a significant amount of street people that tend to hang out near the hotel grounds and sometimes on as well. Cayuga st kind of has an interestinv turnover of people at night. There is a security guy Jay who keeps an eye on things. Second the first floor rooms are just fine. Really need in room fridge however and easier access to ice machine. As far as being over priced if you can't book a room here for 60bux on a travel site look harder. They really push the bar/restaurant Maxs on ya. Don't remember the place being that overpriced when I stayed last year. Maybe they were trying to keep out the street people who seemed to inhabit it the first time I stayed.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank tsar811
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear tsar811,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D