“They forgot that they are in the hospitality industry”
Review of The Hotel Ithaca

The Hotel Ithaca
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Even though Holiday Inn is still all over this property, it is not a Holiday Inn and no Holiday Inn would have such sad service. I travel constantly for work, I am not a prima donna or a demanding tourist. But I do show up early often, just because I want to drop off my luggage early before a meeting either in a room or often with a bellhop and speed up getting in later.
So I walk in at 10:45am and instead of being given a room (which is often the case) with the usual gracious reminder that check in is much later or an offer to check me in and give me a room later, I had to deal with all sorts of crap. First was a lecture on check in times, then a well, we may be able to get you in but charge you a day rate (good grief) then a "go away, we have no idea if we have any rooms available".
No offer to get the paperwork done or check my bags, even when I said that is what is normal. So I had to drag all my stuff back out to the parking lot. Fast forward, I come back at 8pm. I don't even think to drop my bags because there are big Fire Lane signs at the front door. So I go back to the back and unload. The back door from the parking lot is locked, so I have to drag my bags clear around the building in a dark driveway worried that at any moment a car will come careering around. So I get back in, and it still takes fifteen minutes to check in. Then I am asked if I want first or second floor. i say second, then when I am wandering the hall I realize there is no elevator and have to drag my stuff up the grimy stairs. Don't they even vaccum here? Then the next morning when I am leaving and trying to balance my stuff going down the steps, the cleaning people coming up the stairs made me get out of their way, instead of waiting for me. I really am not going back. No chain hotel is so inhospitable.
So, as for the room. It was acceptably clean and furnished with fine towels. The free internet worked fine. But I am still really annoyed at the treatment. Next time I will go back to the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank CSSnowshoer
HotelManagerHIIthaca, General Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Please let me assure you it is our intention to provide our guests with comfortable and elegant surroundings, as well as a sincere, friendly and professional staff with the desire to make your stay with us a pleasant experience, however we sometimes fall short of our goals. I appreciate hearing your feedback which allows me the opportunity to share your comments and concerns with the appropriate staff/departments to make sure our future guests do not encounter a similar situation. I am happy to hear that your room and its furnishings, as well as the complimentay internet service met your expectations. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to regain your confidence by letting us extend our hospitality and services that all of our guests are deserving of on your next visit to the area. If you would like to discuss your stay with me any further please feel free to contact me at any time.

Bradley Zimmer, GM

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel desk staff were helpful and friendly,I had a room in the newly refurbished tower , the beds were comfortable and the was very nice, excellent bathroom and shower! And the bar in the lobby was good too!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank John M

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! I have passed along your praise to our front desk associates. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will allow us the pleasure to extend our hospitality and services to you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Bradley ZImmer, GM

Reviewed 22 March 2014

you see the pictures of the hotel on the website, the pictures that you don't see are the two story no elevator wing that is comporable to a motel 8. As I sit here and write the review there are students pounding up and down the hall, motor coaches backing into the already over crowded (constuction storage trailers) parking lot. I understand that they are going through a construction stage but the prices should reflect level of accomodations. I had two options for my trip to Ithaca, to stay at the Comfort Inn off Hwy 13 and pay $98/night or The Hotel Ithaca for $169/night for a little more refined stay. At this point the comfort inn would be worth the $169.

Room Tip: until the renovations are done in 2015 there are no "good rooms"
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris D

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am disappointed to hear that our hotel did not meet with your expectations. We are currently in the renovation stages of updating our product and would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered during your stay with us. It is our goal to insure all of our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us, however we sometimes fall short of our goals. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend our hospitality and services to you in the future should your travels bring you back to the area. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay any further.

Bradley ZImmer, GM

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Don't bother to visit the website because the pictures are not valid. This hotel has a grew location but no one to take care of it. Room was clean and shower was ok but everything was broken in the bathroom, shades, bedside light, etc...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you found your room to be clean and the shower satisfactory, however we were saddened to hear that the furnishings in your room did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal to provide our guests with the best accommodations possible, however we sometimes fall short of our goals. Our hotel is currently in the process of renovating/updating our guest rooms, which in return will alleviate such problems as you encountered during your stay. We are happy to say that our website has also recently been updated to reflect our current look, as well as many changes to come! Your feedback allows us the opportunity to take the necessary steps to insure that future guests do not encounter the same misfortunes that you experienced. Again, we appreciate your comments and hope that you will give us another chance and return to our hotel should your travels bring you back to the Ithaca area. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your stay with me any further.

Bradley Zimmer, GM

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights between Christmas and New Year's. Our room was nice. We had a king bed room that was plenty big enough (we did get a couple of extra pillows - which were brought to us promptly). The renovations were still going on in the tower, but it was quiet and nice. Above all, we loved the ability to walk to the Commons and great eating, the chocolate shop (Life's so Sweet), and the movie theater. We were able to enjoy adult beverages and simply walk back to the hotel.
We used a 3rd-party site and got a great deal (back when it was the Holiday Inn). We'd gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I read over some of these reviews prior to staying here. I had booked our room through a 3rd party service, so we couldn't choose where we stayed. Regardless, we got a great value. However, after reading the reviews, I got a bit nervous. Upon arrival, there really wasn't anything to complain about. We had a room on the ground floor, and I truly was expecting the worst, but it wasn't bad. It was dated and worn, but that was expected as they are undergoing a renovation. There were no odd smells or funky stains. My husband said he thought the bed was too soft, and early in the evening, we could clearly hear our neighbors, but that was not an ongoing problem. The young man at the service desk was friendly, and the location was excellent. We could walk everywhere. I would stay here again for the reduced price. If I paid $130 or up, I'd probably be a little disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dherrm
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Made a last minute stop on our way between New York City and Niagara Falls. The rooms were adequate but the staff were just ok. They did what was required but not much more. It was a busy weekend and the town was almost full but that shouldnt be an excuse.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
FrontOffice M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Ithaca, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a survey, we truly appreciate your business and your recent stay! I am so sorry that we did not "wow" you during your visit. We strive to excel our guests' expectations and are constantly training to get better at customer service. We will use this review as a training opportunity! We hope you do visit us again in the future!