“Convenient location,decent room”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
West Orange, New Jersey
“Convenient location,decent room”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here with my bf for a wedding on campus.

PROS:
-Very convenient location in the heart of town. Was able to walk home from the after party at a bar nearby. Walked around in the morning to have brunch and grab some ice cream after.
-The staff were polite and helpful as we asked them to call cab to take us to the wedding.
-Room was clean.

CONS:
-No major cons. Not a fancy the hotel, but very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Ontario
Reviewed 15 July 2014

It's my second time staying at this property (last time it used to be a Holiday Inn).

If I can offer some advice, stay in the hotel tower if possible. The rooms are newly renovated and beat the 'motel 6-like' plaza that is ground-level. The elevators are very quick and you get a nice view of town too.

Prices here are fair for Ithaca (high for anywhere else, but everything is overpriced in Ithaca).

Service at the front desk was exceptional and I've never seen such an impressive sample of toiletry items in the event you lost something. You name it, they got it. Even if they don't, the gas station next door will have what you need.

The best feature of this hotel is it's walking distance to everything in downtown Ithaca. It's literally in the heart of town and makes walking to the commons in town a breeze.

Parking in the back lot is not so great and can be tight, but that's the only major drawback with the place.

The pool and exercise room look a little dated, but function well. That said, might be time to clean the pool skylight guys ;)

If I come back to Ithaca, it's a no-brainer that I'll be coming back here. I'd say they actually improved on their Holiday Inn days.

1 Thank Ontario_Guy80
Mansfield, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed 2 nights with my teenage daughter. We had a room in the executive tower and found it clean and comfortable. The 2 queen beds had duvets and feather pillows. The bathroom had a beautiful walk in shower with curved glass doors and a rain shower head. The addition of a in room fridge was a plus. The rooms were very quiet and the staff was very friendly. We would definitely stay again and recommend The Hotel Ithaca.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the executive tower and were on the 8th flooor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathie C
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our room was clean, but worn. We got a good deal on priceline and it was a perfectly average nice hotel. My husband clogged the toilet within min of getting there and maintenance responded super fast, was very friendly and fixed it immediately. The proximity to downtown Ithaca was what really mattered to me and it was perfectly situated for that. And they let us check in over two hours early.

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We arrived tired, hot & hungry. We were asked if we wanted to take the stairs to our room or stay on ground level - they have NO elevator! Really? So of course we said ground floor as after a 6 hour drive we didn't want to carry luggage up flights of stairs. Well our mistake - our room was OLD & DIRTY! The AC was more like a FAN. Bed & linens were terrible. I don't even think you could call them pillows. We were so tired that we decided to try Max's Grill (hotel restaurant). OMG I didn't think it could get worse...but it did. Food was so bad that we ate (2) bites and left. Our room, meal & taxes were $355!! What a total rip off!!!... please DO NOT stay here. I am so mad at myself that I didn't stay at the Hilton Garden or Courtyard Marriott. Which is where I will be staying next visit!

2 Thank Steph7168

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm 8 months pregnant and have a 1.5 year old. I called a few days in advance to confirm the reservation and see if I could get a room on either the first floor or on an elevator floor. Also, we preferred a tub for the little one. It took a while to find the front desk to find the booking (we used a third party vendor) but once he did, he was able to confirm and assure me that we would have an easily accessible room with a tub...

We arrived Friday night at 9 on Cornell reunion weekend. There was only one room left. On the second floor. No elevator. You know, if the person I spoke with said they couldn't guarantee it, I would have been fine, but to say that it was fine and then not have it is just annoying...

The room itself was newly renovated but it wasn't cleaned very well. There were hairs on our bed sheets and the bathroom also had hair. The shower (no bath tub) also had a ring of black on the outside and some possible blood stains... But there were no other rooms in the hotel.

The beds are also very very high. Let's just say it was amusing to watch a very pregnant me climb into one. I'm 5'5" and am I'm good shape, but the bed was lofted. Who thought that was a good idea? And the pillows were really weird, the were square from how the case was tucked in and super lumpy. It felt like they were decades old. Needless to say, not the best night sleep.

The next morning we went down for the free breakfast. Apparently, there was none. We showed the front desk our booking confirmation and they said that was a mistake. Nothing else...

And finally, the day after we checked out we noticed a duplicate charge. The hotel charged us for rooms that were prepaid!!! Scam? When we called, they were prompt in correcting this but this shouldn't have happened at all!

I wouldn't ever go back here despite its convenience to the commons. It just wasn't worth it.

2 Thank Suzy S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We checked into The Hotel Ithaca on June 5th only to find our hotel room to be filthy and nothing like what was pictured on the website. We also found evidence of a bed bug infestation. We immediately vacated the room and ask the manager at the front desk to either find us another hotel or to get us into a room that was clean and free of bed bugs. Management was friendly and very helpful getting us upgraded to one of their newly renovated rooms in The Tower section of their hotel. Overall, our stay was uneventful and the new room was very clean.

Room Tip: Make sure you watch YouTube videos on how to check a room for bed bugs. This helped me immediately...