“Tired place”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Ithaca
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Tired place”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Average is a because its a good location. Very tired and limited hotel. Price warrants more. Only stayed here because I got in on points and needed a place in town. Check some other options but Ithaca hotels do seem to run higher than you would think.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was very disappointed in our stay at the Hotel Ithaca. Their website shows renovated and well appointed rooms. I reserved a queen sized room and paid the queen bed price. At no time on the site or on the phone (had to eventually call because their online reservation system wouldn't process payments) did they say the "special rate offer" required you to stay in a different part of the hotel. We ended up in a postage-stamp-sized room with a full sized bed (not queen as we reserved and paid). It is generous to say the rooms were last updated in the 1980s. A/C barely worked, and the only window in the room was to the hallway, so you could not get any natural light if you wanted any privacy. Shower curtain was moldy. If I had booked the Super 8, at least I would know what to expect...I have stayed in budget hotels that looked better than this. This was misrepresented at every step. Save your money. It is not worth the price (the "special rate" was $160/night, $187 after taxes, etc) to be close to the Ithaca Commons. Even during the summer there is plenty of street parking by the Commons. Book a few miles away and get a hotel that doesn't cost $$$ and misrepresent itself.

Room Tip: Do not book unless you ask to be in the newly renovated main section of the hotel.
2 Thank cbgifford

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here in July of 201 and this past weekend - both for a conference at Cornell. I like the location. I can walk to restaurants and it's a very close drive to my meeting place. Last time I stayed on the floor in the back with a very old/weird/creepy indoor hallway that faced the garage. I didn't feel that safe - esp being a woman alone and in a state where they don't respect my 2nd Amendment rights (like PA does). It was fine. Free wi fi is nice. This time they asked if I wanted 1st or 2nd floor and I was told the 2nd was quieter (note: noise wasn't a problem for me before). I chose the 2nd but glad I didn't have a lot to carry as they have no elevator for that level. The room was also newly renovated. AND it was nicer than my 2010 room. (I'm still wondering how one gets "in the tower" section.) However, it was like trying to be luxury but NOT QUITE getting there. The painted over areas were poorly done and you can see it WAS old. Floors were nice, beds were ok. Pillows FAR too soft/squishy. I didn't find the room dirty at all. The bathroom/shower were very nice. I would've liked higher water pressure. I wish they had different lighting though as the current ones make one look icteric. I also think a small magnifying mirror is a nice touch that many nice places have AND a room safe would be nice too. I also am really sorry that the room had no Bible. Thankfully I brought mine but it speaks to A LOT. The front desk was always very very pleasant and helpful. I like having a restaurant (though it's not great) and the fitness room right there too. The fitness room isn't bad but maybe an elliptical or stair machine would be nice instead of 2 treadmills. They say they are working on continued renovations and I do hope they continue to move upward a bit. The parking lot in back gets filled quickly and then you have to park on the far side which, again, if you are a young woman alone can be a bit dicey at night IMO.

Room Tip: Go for the 2nd floor if asked. No clue about the tower - quality or availability.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Purrduedvm
Silve spring, Maryland
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We were here for a college visit. On check in we were offered a renovated room upstairs with no elevator or an unrenovated first floor. We took second floor. Visual appearance of room was nice and modern but closer inspection showed it was not clean. We had long black hairs on pillows in both beds, floors that needed vacuuming and dust animals (not bunnies) under bed. There were only two towels in bathroom for three people. Passable for one night but not what I expected.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MDTraveler1964
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were here to visit friends on our way through the wine country, and wanted to be close to downtown Ithaca. There are only two choices that are right downtown: the Hilton Garden Inn (which is pretty new) and Hotel Ithaca (formerly a Holiday Inn and Ramada in its past lives of 40+ years, and definitely not new) (the classic Ithaca Hotel was torn down many years ago). The HGI was booked so we ended up here.

We stayed in a tower room, from which you get a nice view of the city from the elevators (2, of which 1 was out of order). The room had been refurbished at some point, and the carpeting replaced by laminate (fake?) wood floors. Tons of pillows, lots of outlets for all your electronic gadgets, and well appointed bathroom (really liked the curved sliding door on the shower - no tub).

When they replaced the carpets with laminate they did not replace the doors, so there is a substantial gap under the door that lets light and noise in. Our floor was quiet, but other guests have complained about the noise. The door is also slightly undersized for the frame, so indirect light (and presumably noise) comes through the jamb.

Read other reviews - the experiences have varied widely. The nightly rate was pretty steep - I guess they feel that they can get it - but the HGI is much nicer for a similar (or even cheaper) rate. They need to up the ante overall, as Marriott has announced plans to put up a hotel about 2 blocks away!

If you are looking to spend time shopping or being entertained on the Ithaca Commons, you might want to wait a while. The entire pedestrian mall is under massive reconstruction to replace the urban infrastructure, and they are a long way from being done.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are in better shape and have been refurbished more recently. You may have to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here with my bf for a wedding on campus.

PROS:
-Very convenient location in the heart of town. Was able to walk home from the after party at a bar nearby. Walked around in the morning to have brunch and grab some ice cream after.
-The staff were polite and helpful as we asked them to call cab to take us to the wedding.
-Room was clean.

CONS:
-No major cons. Not a fancy the hotel, but very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie R
Ontario
Reviewed 15 July 2014

It's my second time staying at this property (last time it used to be a Holiday Inn).

If I can offer some advice, stay in the hotel tower if possible. The rooms are newly renovated and beat the 'motel 6-like' plaza that is ground-level. The elevators are very quick and you get a nice view of town too.

Prices here are fair for Ithaca (high for anywhere else, but everything is overpriced in Ithaca).

Service at the front desk was exceptional and I've never seen such an impressive sample of toiletry items in the event you lost something. You name it, they got it. Even if they don't, the gas station next door will have what you need.

The best feature of this hotel is it's walking distance to everything in downtown Ithaca. It's literally in the heart of town and makes walking to the commons in town a breeze.

Parking in the back lot is not so great and can be tight, but that's the only major drawback with the place.

The pool and exercise room look a little dated, but function well. That said, might be time to clean the pool skylight guys ;)

If I come back to Ithaca, it's a no-brainer that I'll be coming back here. I'd say they actually improved on their Holiday Inn days.

1 Thank Ontario_Guy80