“Very nice dining and bar experience”

Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
GreenLeadersGold level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very nice dining and bar experience”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I travel often for work and end up in NYC about once a month. I usually stay at this Sheraton because it is close to the airport and always has very attentive staff. My favorite employee is a bartender named Mya. She always remembers my name and what I drink, even though I don't see her that often. She is always smiling and very pleasant to deal with. I have never had a mistake in my food order and she doesn't mind answering questions about items on the menu. And besides that, she is kinda cute:)
I would recommend this hotel to any one based on location, cleanliness, and helpful/friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Govtrav1, On behalf of the Sheraton JFK we would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel.We're delighted to know our services exceeded your expectations and our staff provided a memorable experience during your visit with us especially Mya. We are proud of our Sheraton JFK team and delighted to provide excellent service to wonderful guests like you!

We look forward to having you back with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Colorado
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I did not have a very good experience at this hotel.

Arrival at the hotel was easy enough. You have to take the Airtrain to Federal Circle, and then get picked up there. The bus was packed as it houses both the Hilton Garden Inn and Sheraton.

Check-in was very friendly and was probably the best part of the stay.

As I am a SPG Gold member, I was assigned a room on the "SPG Preferred" floor, but it was far from special. I was not offered Club lounge access, either. Other than being on a higher floor, I don't think I was really upgraded at all. The room was very small (think European sized hotel room small). The noise level from landing jets was loud (I was surprised that the hotel was not soundproofed better given its proximity to the airport). Sleeping was made difficult between the landing jumbo jets and the street noise below. The bed was the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and was very comfortable. The bathroom was large and featured a nice shower and a good amount of bathroom amenities. The wi-fi in the hotel was fast and free, which was appreciated.

There is really nothing around the hotel and other patrons advised me not to go outside to explore as it is not in a good part of town. I decided to eat in the restaurant in the hotel and was pretty disappointed. While the food was good, the service left a lot to be desired.

The shuttle return to the airport was friendly and efficient.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel given the area its in, small rooms, and lack of upgrade, and will likely search for a different hotel next time I am in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Fzedlach, Thank you for taking the time out to share your reviews regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton JFK. We're sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent visit to our property. As we continue to strive to deliver the best customer service there is, we are glad for all feedbacks both positives and negatives. These feedbacks are used as training materials in hopes to help us better our Brand. We thank you for the great comment about our front desk staff, we have to agree they are the best. They will definitely learn about your kind words.

Thank you again for choosing the Sheraton JFK.
Anytown
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed there two weeks ago for two nights. I was surprised how small the room was but it did not really impact my stay. The bed wasn't as good as my recent MIA airport stay but good enough. Bathroom was fine. The room was clean. FWIW, reviews of the JFK Hilton state the rooms are "normal" size and not Manhattan size.

The biggest problem is the parking. Both days it was not possible to park in the main parking lot. It was late the first night (after 11) and around 5PM the second day. I had to park in a lot across the street behind the hotel. I was lucky to get the last usable space. Otherwise I would have been stuck with street parking. The lot is cramped and it was a hassle to get in and out. I think there's a bus stop at the corner of the lot and I believe I saw some people living on the street at the end of the block. It may be perfectly safe but I'd rather have a more traditional parking situation. This may be normal for other area hotels but I was hoping to find an airport hotel with a normal parking lot or garage. The HGI next door certainly has the same problem. The upside is that it was easy to deal with the front desk to get a parking pass for the extra lot.

The breakfast was great. I like it when the buffet includes cooked-to-order items like an omelet. I am SPG Gold and not sure if it should have been free. The MIA airport hotel gave me a voucher and JFK did not. Otherwise, I was glad the cost was $15 instead of the usual $20+ at some other full service hotels. For business, the breakfast was worth the money. Room service was also good for dinner that night.

The location relative to JFK was great. It was really easy to get back to the Hertz return area.

I would stay there again if I did not have a car. This assumes the shuttle is reliable. Otherwise, I may try the Hilton assuming they have more real estate for parking.

I am giving this hotel an average rating due to the room size and parking situation. Otherwise, it would be "very good".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sam1496, Front Office Manager at Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear jimpeterson, Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with TripAdvisor. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you endured while staying with us. We value your comments and also you being a loyal spg member. As a spg gold member you get a welcome amenity of either 250 Starwood points, free wifi or a drink at the bar. Our property offers complimentary wifi so you have the option between the other two.
We thank you again for sharing your feedback, we look forward to having you back soon.

Warm Regards,
Philadelphia, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Overall a very good experience. The room was very nice especially the stylish bathroom with its retro modern appearance. My only complaint is it is difficult to get to from the east bound belt way.
The staff was courteous and helpful. I stopped by the bar for a night cap and found the bartender there especially helpful. Mya was courteous and efficient in her service and made that part of the experience especially pleasant
This hotel was an accidental booking but I must say this tired traveler found the experience and welcoming staff refreshing.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Philip C, Thank you for taking the time out to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We're truly delighted to read your amazing comments about our staff and that you enjoyed staying at the Sheraton JFK. Your kind words will be shared with Mya she will be very happy to hear she had make a difference in your experience. Thank you so much for recognizing her and the entire team, I would have to agree with you they are AMAZING!!

We thank you again and look forward to hosting you when the time permits.

Warmest Regards,
London
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Chicken parm was delicious. Adity, my server, was attentive and prompt. Will definitely eat here again. The bartender, maya, was excellent and professional, and thankfully I didn't miss my flight! Will stay here again no question. Felt right at home straight away.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cpkiwi
Dear Cpkiwi It’s fantastic to hear such positive feedback regarding your experience from you. I will be thrilled to share your comments with Adity, Mya and the entire restaurant Team. Our mission is always to offer the best service to our guests. We are delighted to know we achieved this goal and that our associates made your stay one to be remembered!

kInd Regards,
Sam
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Like another patron had stated, it's an airport hotel. I typically stay here for a quick stop over. However, the staff at the front desk both day and night shift are very accommodating. The restaurant and bar staff are nice and friendly. Special thanks to the female bartender for her recommendation and suggestions on drinks. Very personable and attentive.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Iamfamiliar, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Sheraton JFK. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback about our hotel, and the wonderful service we uphold daily.
Thank you again and we hope to host you soon.
Kind Regards,
ny
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Our room was wrong by their error...1 bed for 4 ppl! Then they told us they'd send blankets up for ppl to sleep on the floor! I finally raised such a ruckus and threatened to call the fire marshal, the moved us to the hilton which is their sister property next door. Both properties have awful staff...not helpful at all! Then our second night (our first night was transferred to Hilton, them night 2 we were moved BACK here), my husband and I went to the bar for a couple of drinks. The bartender (dark hair, Indian looking girl), was so rude. She was more interested in gossiping to her coworkers than serving customers. They were literally out of anything we asked for. Finally she was like, "well I guess I have to look for it downstairs". I have a feeling she never stocked the bar seeing as how lazy she seemed. After that she was unbelievably rude to us. Later more friends joined us and I was embarrassed that we even asked them to come there and be treated that way. She needs a lesson in customer service, bar tending, and a major attitude adjustment.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sicilianprincess1
Dear sicilianprincess1, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Sheraton JFK. We're sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations , but we thank you for your very valuable feedback about your experience. We must say your comments regarding our staff not being helpful came as a surprise, we've always been praised on the excellent service we provide. We always try to accommodate all our guests with their needs the best way we can. In your case we were unable to do so. Your reservation was booked through a third party and it was booked for a room with a King size bed. That room type was reserved for you and was given upon check-in. Unfortunately we cannot take a guaranteed room type from another guest to give to you who did not book it. We recommend that you book directly through the hotel website to differ from incidents such as this.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize again.

Kind Regards.