See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 August 2018

A taxi to JFK was $20 and took only about 15 minutes so is a good hotel if you need to stay near the airport. The staff are friendly and the hotel is clean and modern. I went to reception and asked for a taxi and it was there within 5 minutes.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

It’s so bad here. As soon as I opened the door to our room, we were hit with an overwhelming smell of urine. It was so bad it made my so sick to my stomach. I asked for a new room and they said they had another but then suddenly they didn’t. They said they would come spray the room to fix the smell. First of all, it’s not only that it smelled but WHY does it smell is the bigger issue! Well, they never even bothered to come by. We were desperate to sleep and finally just had to deal with it. The toilet had body hairs all over it and there were cornflakes and bobby pins on the floor. It obviously had not been cleaned. Never stay at this property. Don’t let the pictures of the updated decor fool you. Stay far far away.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2018

I would give this Hotel a "0" if it was available. On 8/18 my family and I had reserved 2 rooms thru Wyndham, using my points, to stay for 1 night. When we arrived at the Wingate/Howard Johnson, Alex Patel told us that he did not have any reservations for us. The problem was that on this day, due to heavy rain, several airlines at La Guardia airport had cancelled several flights for the day and people were now trying to leave from JFK the following day and hotel rooms in this area was a hot commodity. Alex Patel held on to my points and cancelled the reservation in their system. Stay away from Wingate by Wyndham Jamaica NY/ AirTrain Jfk/Howard Johnson, they are Scam Artists.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Given all the bad reviews I read, I had expected the worst and paid extra attention. For example, we either locked the medium valuables in our suitcase or carried the most valuables with us (i.e. passports and cash) when we were out. The safety deposit box provided in the room was a joke, too thin and too small to be of any use. Besides, we couldn't figure out how to push the bolt back in, well we didn't really bother. You can tell that Jamaica is not a very safe neighborhood and I would not want to get back to the hotel after dark, given you need to walk around 10 minutes from the station on a quiet street along the tracks. With all the precautions taken, it was actually not too bad a stay. Very convenient to get in and out of he airport and to get on Long Island Railway (same station). Easy access to subway station as well. Otherwise, the room is small but comfortable with very basic amenities furnished, free wifi but with frequent cut offs, staff okay friendly and price was okay if you book early enough, I mean, this is New York, right?

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2018

We came into JFK from an international flight past our connecting flight departure. It was such a mess at JFK and we spent probably 3 hours in lines trying to get a flight home. There were so many delayed flights that night they ran out of hotels to recommend so we were on our own to find a hotel. We teamed up with another couple and we ended up at this hotel. The Lobby was clean so that was a good first impression. Although they had signs posted that it was a non-smoking hotel I could tell when we entered the room that smoking was once allowed in that room. They had remodeled the room but I think they forgot about painting the walls and changing the drapes to remove the smoking smell. All night long you could hear doors slamming. We had an awful night and didn't get to sleep much. Their rates were ridiculous. Paid $299. We would have been better off sleeping at the airport! Avoid this hotel at all costs!! Oh, and in-between the two top sheets was a blanket riddled with cigarette burn holes. Nasty!

Room Tip: make sure you have internet access on your phone to pre-check reviews for where your thinking of staying. Wish I had been able to do so.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple