“OK, but was hoping for better”

Sleep Inn JFK Airport
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 17 June 2013

4 of us head to New York for the Belmont each year. I changed to this hotel as I watched reviews of our other reservation decline as the months went by. The reviews here are very accurate but I had a few problems that I have not seen others address.

First, there are good things. We had a car so the location for us was excellent with adequate parking. We found the rooms modern and clean as many others have indicated. Beds were comfortable, AC performed well and we found it very quiet.

The problems: Local TV and many other channels were not available. Not what I would usually consider a problem, but I love tennis and missed the French Open finals. Staff said the problem was actively being worked on, but I never saw a contractor vehicle over our entire stay. Breakfast was dismal. There were many choices if you count them on your fingers, but basically they were all carbs plus hard boiled eggs and some kind of sausage. The layout was poor (breads on one side of the room and toaster on the other, waffle maker right in the middle of the counter) and the selection was identical both mornings. With no choices in the neighborhood, this needs improvement. There were no newspapers available. The front desk acknowledged this by telling me that they just stopped a few weeks ago. Again, no real choice for picking one up nearby, so unacceptable. And finally, when we returned after a full day away, all 4 of our room keys, carried by 4 different people, did not work. The front desk wanted to explain that we ALL probably were carrying them wrong rather than acknowledge that they were likely misprogrammed at our check in.

I think this can all be improved, much of it quickly, but am sorry to say they probably won't see me again next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Monica H, Front Office Supervisor at Sleep Inn JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2014

Monica Hutcherson
Front Office Supervisor
Sleep Inn JFK

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The hotel is a fair distance away from the airport and the airport shuttle doesn't run 24/7 so you might end up paying $25 for a taxi to/from the airport.
The hotel rooms are modern and clean, however, they are tiny. We actually struggled to find enough space for our luggage. Rooms can be quite noisy if you get one that is facing the road.
The selection at breakfast wasn't great but it was enough to get us going for the day.
The closest metro stop is about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel which was ok for us.
The front desk staff seemed overworked and not very friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the main road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

If one arrives at JFK airport between 1 and 3pm and get to Federal circle to catch the shuttle bus to the hotel, one will be sorely disappointed as it doesn't run for those 2 hours. Had I known that in advance I would never have booked this hotel, let alone paid in advance. Other shuttles were coming and going whilst I waited until 3:45pm for that shuttle bus. Driver was most apologetic but I had wasted precious resting hours on a bench in the cold wind. I just needed a place to nap before my long haul, transatlantic flight to Dubai at 11pm (having to check in at 8pm!!)
The actual address is in a really run down part of Jamaica, NY, with no restaurant within walking distance!
Room was nice and clean but facing the carpark area so was too noisy to have a nap, despite the comfortable bed and great pillows. The bathroom, with standard amenities, was spotless and if one had forgotten anything, the front desk was willing to provide it. Coffee maker in room was not working unfortunately.
Front desk was manned by 2 young men who were very kind to me and wished me a Happy Mother's day which made everything else not matter as much. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel was clean, and the beds and pillows extremely comfortable. My room, which was on the parking lot side, was on the smallish side (fine for 1 person, cramped for 2), but it was tastefully decorated and I heard very little noise from the parking lot or adjacent rooms.

Breakfast was average.

The airport shuttle has limited hours of operation. As a consequence, I ended up going to the airport almost 3 hours earlier than I needed to. Of course, you could always take a taxi if the shuttle times aren't convenient.

Customer service is great. After a long international flight, I was very nice to be welcomed by such a pleasant shuttle driver and friendly receptionists!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jolenejentilly
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This property is clean, safe, well maintained. However it is a bit far from the airport - cab ride was $25 each way.

Rooms are small but efficient with internet and decent TV package

Was OK for a quick stop over between flights but I would book closer to the airport depending on the room cost ($50 worth of cab rides allow for a bit more expensive room)

Staff was friendly

Location in an industrial area so not much to see or do if you stayed more then just to clean up and rest

Room Tip: The lobby level rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We missed a connection at JFK and were completely stranded in October 2012 on our way to Ireland. Out of all the hotels we called the Sleep Inn was the only one to offer us a room. The young girl at the desk was so nice to us and made sure we were taken care of (She definitely deserves a promotion, out of our entire trip she was one of the nicest to us by far). The room was clean and comfortable and allowed us to rest after a very stressful day.
Breakfast the next morning was very good and the shuttle to JFK was an added perk after a long night. One suggestion is to take an early shuttle back to JFK as the last one around lunch time filled up quite quickly and many people don't understand how to form a line. One suggestion for the hotel is to create a list and allow people to sign based on when they arrived in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I missed my connection at JFK and needed a room for the night. Sleep Inn was the least expensive hotel I could find. All I expected was a bed and a shower. I was pleasently surprised when I entered my room. Very clean room. microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker and a nice flat screen TV. The hotel has free Wifi throughout the building too. I got in late but the girl at the front desk provided me with quite a few takeout menus of places that deliver late.
The only problem was actually getting to the hotel!!
Shuttle service is absolutely terrible! From the time I got off my plane to check-in was almost 2 hours! Not good!!
12 noon is also the last shuttle back to the airport until 3 pm. After that it runs until 10 pm. It's not the drivers fault. The hotel is about 4 or 5 miles from the airport so they really need 2 vans.
None the less, once I finally got to the hotel I was very comfortable .. Good Value!

• Stayed: April 2013