“good value”

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“good value”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

hotel was clean, service of staff was good and the have an excellent shuttle service to the air train at JFK, makes getting around New York easy and affordable. breakfast is good for a free breakfast. able to make your own waffles fresh, good bread selection boiled eggs cerial and Jogurt, juice and coffee. coffee available in room, all in all good value for new york decent property with reasonable facilities

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow, what a fantastic review of our hotel! We greatly appreciate your kind words. Please feel to contact me directly at MGuillen@gardeninnjfk.com to further discuss any associates you felt exemplified superior service. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back the next time you are in the JFK Airport/New York City Area!

On behalf of our Management TEAM & Staff, Thank you for your review.

Michael Guillen | Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My sister and I stayed at The Garden Inn four nights. I picked this hotel because it looked good okay pictures, it had free breakfast and an airport shuttle. The hotel is average, I think the lobby, restaurant, breakfast area and bar are in great conditions. On the other hand the rooms are okay if you don't play spending all day in there. Stay away from the second floor. We had a view looking over a bunch of garbage cans. Beds are quite comfortable, the bath tub is literally black, we had to step on towels, there is dust on corners of doors. Carpets have nasty yellow stains, plugs on wall falling off. The elevator has finger prints everywhere which is discussing. The customer service we were provided was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! When we arrived around 11ish there was a transition of shift with the two ladies at the front desk. There was Mariana (Mariela) who was starting her shift, and the other lady wasn't wearing her name tag so I didn't catch her name. When we arrived neither one of them grated us, they were having a problem with their computers and did NOT tell us anything at all. They just kept us waiting for about 15 minutes. The girl hooping on board Mariela (Mariana) doesn't matter; kept saying out loud to her co worker "This computers never work, this is frustrating, its annoying"...The other lady responded back saying..."Because you're stupid" right in front of us and guest behind us. After all this little scene between them the girl on board said "ID and Credit Card" nothing else. These two ladies were not only RUDE to us as guest but also to they're own co workers. Mariela kept answering the phone with a rude tone, making faces and slamming the phone after hanging up. They gave us wrong information about the shuttle it DOES NOT run until 11:30 it runs until 12:30. I am a front Desk Agent in San Francisco and My expectations were high and I was very disappointed, The shuttle drivers were AWESOME and very helpful. Breakfast is little, they're space is bigger than they're breakfast but if delicious that I enjoyed a lot. If it wasn't because the customer service was so disturbing I would probably consider staying here again. I would much rather pay double at a hotel in Times Square where I will be guarantee GREAT customer service.

Room Tip: Nothing on the second floor, the views are horrible.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay during recent trip to the New York City/JFK Airport Area.

At the Garden Inn & Suites we certainly do strive on providing every guest with 100% Satisfaction. Without a doubt this was a terribly disappointing experience for you and an embarrassing one for us. I do apologize for the inconveniences encountered and would like to one day do so in person.

Please feel free to contact me at MGuillen@gardeninnjfk.com so we may discuss your review in more detail.

On behalf of the Management Team, our apologies and we hope to host your stay in the near future.

Michael Guillen | Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

St. Thomas
Reviewed 17 September 2013

On our way home from a fabulous trip to Namibia/South Africa, we chose to stay at Garden Inn & Suites due to its proximity to JFK and a very early morning flight. We go to our room after check-in and it is not ready...as in no sheets on the bed and dirty towels strewn about. After reporting this to the front desk, they give us another room and we have to schlep our stuff there while the Asst. Manager leads the way to our new room empty handed. We requested a wake-up call since we did not have our cell phones with us. (They did not work in S. Africa so we left them home) We never got the call and woke up an hour late. We dashed down to the lobby, told the manager on duty of our predicament, but we might still be able to make our flight if we left immediately. He replied, from his lounge chair, that the next shuttle was in 15 minutes. He did not offer any type of service to help us. We finally got him to get off his perch and call us a taxi. How nice to be back in the good ol' USA! NOT!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 September 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We picked this hotel because it was "dog friendl" and close to JFK airport. There was no disclosure that there would be a $50 fee for the dog, so what appeared to be a reasonable room rate suddenly got as pricey as a Sheraton ( our second choice). Our room was right next to the lobby and they had both a loud player piano in the bar and a TV going when we got there. The walls are paper thin and we were afraid we'd never get to sleep. They agreed to turn off the piano.

In the morning, we asked them to order a cab, but they ordered a car service that charged $7 more forr a 2.5 mile trip and 10% more if you wanted to use a credit card. They refused to order a cab that had a meter and takes credit cards. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a mix review of our hotel. While there were some things we did right, it is evident that your stay was not perfect due to noise disturbances.

Please allow me to address the concerns you presented as I do keenly recall your visit.

We do have associates that continuously do a walk-through of the property to monitor guest safety & security, as well as identify any possible disturbances. We identified that the piano was on and immediately turned it off to ensure your stay was comfortable and quiet.

In regards to the pet fees, I noticed your reservation was made through a third party and when reviewing to ensure all guests are receiving correct information, the website you booked with does state that "charges may apply" for pets. Pet fees are charged because of the extra/deep cleaning required after a pet stays in a room to ensure they are up to standard in cleanliness.

Third, according to NYC Law, Yellow Taxis are prohibited to be called on private properties. Yellow-Taxis can be flagged on street level or picked-up from a designated Taxi Stand (i.e. Airports). The tradeoff is that Private Livery Services can be called on private property, however may not be flagged on street level. We are affiliated with a Car Service Company (Separate Entity) which was contacted when a taxi was requested.

I am apologetic at the fact that you were not satisfied with your overall experience despite the different courtesies that were extended throughout your visit. I certainly would like to welcome you back to our property for a future stay so that we may have the opportunity to exceed your every expectation and restore your trust with the Garden Inn & Suites. Feel free to contact me directly at MGuillen@gardeninnjfk.com to discuss further. We look forward to hosting your stay in the future.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Great value for a hotel close to JFK. Transport to & from airport was free & easy We were particularly happy with the free breakfast as it included eggs & waffles.Rooms were clean & very quiet! I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with us and want to thank you for sharing it with the Trip Advisor Community.

In an increasingly competitive industry, we do realize that there are many choices and we thank you for choosing the Garden Inn & Suites JFK Airport. Thus we continuously strive to deliver exceptional service while maintaining a great product. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please contact me directly at MGuillen@Gardeninnjfk.com the next time your travel needs brings you back to the JFK Airport/New York City Area. This will enable me to personally ensure your next stay with us is nothing short of spectacular.

Thank you for you staying with us and we certainly do look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Upon arriving to the hotel myself and friend had quite a lot of heavy luggage, a staff of 5 watched us struggle to unload (we are both very tiny) all of our bags onto a trolley and push it with one commenting from her chair "that tire is flat". We then had to load the luggage into the elevators at separate times due to its weight. Still with no help. We were told upon booking we could also return our rental car to the airport and be picked up from the rental cars location point by the hotel service.. When we called, as advised, to be picked up we were told to get a taxi service to a complete opposite area of JFK before we could be picked up. We ended up paying for the taxi back to the hotel as it would have been the same amount of time. Very disappointing customer service, the ladies at front desk were genuinely unfriendly and unhelpful. On a plus side, the rooms were clean, however we were giving an adjoining room to a stranger, where we were able to hear anything and everything from their room.

• Stayed September 2013
GardenInnManagement, Operations Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 September 2013

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Breakfast was ok but size and cleanliness of BF room bad; reception staff friendly depending on who you get; taking the airtrain from any terminal at JFK will get you to the Federal Circle, and from there you can take the hotel shuttle for free every half an hour, approximately - allow extra time, for there could be delays both with the shuttle and specially the check out process. Shuttle is a van and most of the time travels full, but the hotel is not far. They store your luggage for the day at no cost.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Julierb67
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad your stay with us at the Garden Inn & Suites was enjoyable however, I would like to apologize for the appearance/cleanliness of the breakfast room. I ensure you that this matter has been addressed and should not repeat itself. We take guest reviews very seriously because they let us know what we are doing right and in what areas we need improvement.

You have pointed out that the staff was friendly but depending on who our guests get. I would definitely like to hear from you via email for more details so that I can ensure that all of our front office staff are trained properly on how to provide outstanding guest service. Our goal is to ensure all of our guests leave with a smile.

You may contact me at MGuillen@gardeninnjfk.com.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you as well as seeing you during your next visit to New York City.