“Terrible maintenance”

Garden Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 5 March 2014

First I paid too much -- distressed travellers booking from JFK pay more than the walk-in rate, and while the staff was friendly, the rooms were awful. First room I was sent to smelled strongly of chlorine and when I tried to use the phone to call the front desk, the phone was broken. I then went downstairs and got a different room The TV remote was missing, but I went straight to sleep. Next morining I found the handle controlling the hot water in the shower was broken, so I was stuck with a very cold shower.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jonathan M
There are newer reviews for Garden Inn & Suites

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Close to JFK but nowhere near Manhattan. At first they gave me a room which was already occupied...I walked in on someone...OOPS. I asked for a late check out and they told me to call in the morning. I called in the morning and was told my room was blocked for a group. They couldn't have told me that the night before??? The vending machines don't take dollars so I went to the front desk for change. I was told they don't HAVE quarters. I asked how I could get a soda and was told the machines take dollars. I replied that if they took dollars I wouldn't be asking for change!!!! Where was the customers service??? Does anyone believe that they don't accept cash for room stays. Wouldn't they have to make change sometimes?? Does this person not have change in their wallet or could they have asked a coworker if they had change???? Motel 6 has better customer service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I checked in as my flight was canceled. Requested late checkout. Front desk woman said I could checkout at 1:00 pm. I got a call at 12:15. The lady (Lorraine) told me I need to check out at 12. I told her someone told me I can checkout at 1. She then proceeded to give me the worst attitude I have ever received in my life. She told me "she's not someone and I need to leave now" I said I already requested a late checkout. She said she's not going to argue with me and that she would send up a manager and security. She then hung up on me before I could say anything. I was extremely upset so I called again asking for her name so I could speak with the manager. She mumbled her name and when I asked her to spell it she told me that the manager and security were on their way up and hung up on me again. I don't know what happened as it escalated from me requesting an extra 30 minutes (which I was promised originally) to getting security knocking on my door.

She sent up security because I told her I was not ready to checkout... not to mention that I was already promised a later checkout. The whole situation was embarrassing and frustrating. She actually sent up security. I left the room without showering, brushing my teeth, or shaving. I wore dirty clothes and my bags were in a mess. I have travelled around the world and stayed in hundreds of hotels. Never have I had any serious issues. I've never felt the urge to go write a bad review about anything. This situation is seriously unacceptable and was a terrible ending to my New York City trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew Z
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We only stayed one night - to catch a morning flight out of JFK, but that was more than enough. When we checked two people were standing behind the desk. One was on the phone, and the other was just standing there saying nothing. The one on the phone did not speak to us, but I put our reservation on the desk with our IDs and credit card, so she started to look at them, but then continued with her phone conversation. Then another person came to the desk, and she directed her attention towards him. When I started to look impatient, she checked us is in while still on the phone. She put the key on the desk and went back to the phone. Since our flight was leaving at 8am, we wanted to be sure to have time for breakfast - so I indicated I had a question. She put her hand over the phone and said no problem, shuttles ran continuously and breakfast was at 6. No offer to help us with our bags. No one showed us to the room. Breakfast room was not open at 6 and the shuttle runs every half hour, first-come-first served. The icing on the cake was that when we got to the airport by 6:35, the shuttle driver had off-loaded one of our bags before our stop. It was a nightmare of a morning, and we almost missed our flight minus a bag.

5  Thank ah2010
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We would like to say that we really enjoyed the stay. The location was very good for us and the service was amicable and appropriate. We enjoyed the lobby setting and courtyard and the rooms were fine. For future tenants, it is very easy to walk to Rockaway Blvd. to catch the q6 bus to the Sutphin stop in order to take the E subway train to Manhattan. Really easy and saves you some $$$. Also, while waiting for the q6 you can grab some tasty grub at Kim's Deli. Thanks to all. We are having some serious NYC NYE nostalgia.

S & J

1  Thank 564Julie
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The man who checked us in never greeted us, took forever, offered no assistance. The room was cold, so that we were shivering all night long, they promised us an extra blanket which didn't come, refused to call a taxi for us, refused to give us a phone book so that we could order food, nevertheless fen offered us the name of a popular place to order from. Not a good nights sleep, which is all I ever ask from a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank amy j
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We were placed here by Delta because our flight was cancelled. Delta still had my luggage and told me that the hotel would have complementary toiletries and personal care items when we got there. Wrong! They charge $3 for travel-sized tooth paste, another $3 for a cheap tooth brush, and another $3 for travel-sized deodorant. On top of that, the room's walls were very dingy and they only have one old computer in their "business center." I do not plan to return.

1  Thank FleurDeLis1222
GardenInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Garden Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a mix review of our hotel. I'm concerned about the inconveniences you experienced at our
hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to
bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

The Management Team