“Don't do it!”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Undisclosed
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation to this hotel with the hope that this place would at the very least be safe for myself and my family. This wasn't exactly the case. I pulled up and the clerk was outside with several people loitering outside the hotel. This caused me some concern. Not half the concern however that I had when I entered the hotel and learned that there wasn't an elevator for my handicap parents to access our room on the second floor of this hotel. Not to mention, there was an open access point to the roof of the hotel (which was open, might I add) outside of our room. The room was filthy and I couldn't imagine what that was on the wall and the chair that was in the room. This hotel was so bad and such a safety hazard that I refused to stay in this room. They had the nerve to refuse to refund too. Please find another hotel. This hotel is a health and safety hazard.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Cheryl J
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
I read through this unproductive review trying to justify the complaints of this Guest but cannot substantially validate any claims. Consequently, it strongly renders this review as being just vindictive (void of any constructive criticism even so) - usually an action resort by some when they cannot have their way.
To begin with, the much concerns of safety issues was a futile exercise because there was no casualty - anywhere. As a matter of fact, we have never had any serious issues where anyone of our guests’ safety was compromised. We have 24hr Frontdesk Staff and also other staffs members responding to guests’ needs and comfort.
For this Guest, who it seems has done some traveling, it is very surprising that she has not queried in foresight about the handicap friendliness at the hotel, neither was any special request made. Our hotel is a 75-room, 3-Storeyed structure without any elevator. There is one stair to the 3rd floor and one to the 1st floor since Front desk is located on the 2nd Floor. When guests notify us of handicap requests, we secure the ground level floor for them so that they have the shortest walk to their rooms and are more accessible to other conveniences.
It is presumptuous to assume that because the frontdesk staff is seen outside with other guests that he is loitering. A lot of the guests new to the area need direction and other assistance. At JFK Inn we take care of our guests. It is very unusual that guests have to wait more that 10 minutes to be checked in, unlike most hotels.
It is difficult to grasp what this guest was expecting but we operate as a 2-Star hotel offering the best rates in the area with lots of amenities, many free of charge, such as breakfast, internet, parking, café-bar, shuttle services, etc. Our clean rooms have the latest comfort beds and huge flat screen TVs and other comforts. Where cleanliness is concern, we strict control regulations.
At JFK Inn you can be assure we will take care of you so that you can SAFELY enjoy a good night’s rest and be ready to start a new day – just notify us of special requests, it will be much easier on everyone.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of 7 traveling the next day to South Africa. The actual hotel was OK but the transportation to and from was a disaster. We waited for over an hour and once the van arrived only 1 of our party boarded while the passengers rushed to get on. .We waited 1/2 hour again for another bus for the rest of our party. Once at the hotel since we were 7 we arranged a shuttle for our party the following day back to the airport. We were promised a separate shuttle which never happened. We waited for 1/2 hour along with a dozen others leaving some behind again. The breakfast provided was included and was a good selection. There are many hotels with transportation in the JFK area which I would choose on my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna C
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
After querying with our Staffs the grievance of this review, an apology is in order for this Guest and company.
Although we have two shuttles for those occasions when one is under maintenance, emergencies do occur. On that occasion in question one of our vehicles was under maintenance but then the other had a minor problem with light indicators. Because our mechanic promised that it would not be a lengthy fix, we decided not to rent a van for that one hour. Of course, by then there was more guest in-waiting at the airport. As we offer courtesy transportation between the hotel and airport, it is in situations like these that we have to prioritize and give preference to departing guests (who have flight schedules).
What our Guest could have done was to take a taxi which would have cost just about $15 since they were a big group that wanted to travel together. It helps us a lot if our Guests would inquire or make these special requests beforehand when making their reservations.
As a matter of fact, we have extended our schedules for pick-up and drop-offs to round-the-clock operations just for our Guests’ convenience. It takes less than 20 minutes for our shuttle to make a round trip to the airport and back to the hotel. We advise guests to be a few minutes early when there are many drop-offs because the shuttle will be making repeated trips every 20 minutes so that everyone enjoys the free service.
We are glad to know that all else seemed to be to our Guests’ satisfactory with their stay at the hotel.
We are always pushing the limits to bring more services to our Guests without compromising their expenses. However, a little patience and cooperation might be required.
Once again we apologize to this Guest and company and will seriously consider this type of situation to correct in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

None
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel not long ago and here what I think:

1. Location. As I need to go back and forth from the JFK airport, this hotel is ideally located and the hotel provides shuttle that works pretty much 24/7. If we dont have to go through highway, I could even walk to the airport, considering exercise at the same time. I arrived at the airport in the beginning of evening and the staff was very helpful and kind enough to send a shuttle to pick me up from the airport. I got a driver helping me storing my luggage into the mini van. So, the location is brilliant and helpful for those who need a short escape from the airport. Bus stop is less than 8 minutes walking. 24/7 convenience shop and well-known fast food resto are around. Walking is enough.

2. Staffs. In my opinion, all the staffs were very helpful. I made a phone call when I was still outside the US and the staff explained how the payment works, how to get to Downtown Manhattan, NY Times Square etc. Upon arrival at the hotel, the staff once again explained everything I need to know during my stay. Apparently, I could also buy Metro Card for public transport at the front desk, which I can recharge at station. I had a gentleman helping me with a big luggage that I brought into the room.

3. Value. In the region, I could easily see Marriott (cmiiw), Holiday Inn Express, and some other 5 stars hotel and the rate that I paid at JFK Inn was at least 1/2 of what they would have costed me. Seriously, I would not pay more than 600 USD for a place to stay just outside the airport, yet I still had a chance to flee to the Town Square, 60 minutes one way, via bus and metro. The main road in front of the hotel was not very busy during my stay, maybe you can consider me lucky for that, considering it is next to the highway.

4. Facility: WiFi is available and I found it more helpful if you stay at the lobby as the reception inside the room might not be as strong. Breakfast is available from 6 AM - 10 AM, with selection of cereals, and some cakes/breads which is sufficient to keep your stomach filled. The room has air con which was working well, so I was pleased for that.

Advise: If you are in the search for fancy, 5 star, red-carpeted, family holiday, then Downtown Manhattan/ Times Square will surely have answer for you, of course with the price that you have to pay for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IRT_1
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
A special note of gratitude to our well-traveled ‘Senior Reviewer’ for his honest evaluation of our establishment. We will go out of our way as permitted to help our Guests, even running our shuttle off-schedule to our guests peace of mind and comfort. We recently included free trips to the Grand Resort Casino. Our prime location (just about 7-8 mins from the airport) caters well to travelers through the airport. Yet, as our dear Guest mentioned, going to the City can be an easy-going, one-hour($2.50) ride without breaking the bank to take abode in the City. A growing number of our guests have been taking advantage of this dough-saving convenience, and also taking multiple days stays at the hotel to enjoy further discounts.
If there is one factor that we place great emphasis on, it is our Staff performance, since we have a much greater and more immediate control over this area. Our well-informed and friendly Staffs are there to answer your questions and provide the services to make your stay hassle-free.
Our goal is to provide the most affordable of the best 2-Star services in the area; and we will keep adding to our services for our guest satisfaction.
Many thanks to our insightful 'Senior Reviewer' for this lifting review and hope to see you in the near future and to maybe to identify yourself (for the sake of our good favor)
Lviv
Reviewed 22 October 2013

What can you expect? If you need a room near JFK airport, they have that. If you need it to be a real bedroom, without the weird professional sewing equipment, well, that one might not be available. If you need a room where windows have shutters because you like sleeping in the dark, you are starting to be demanding. If you want to be able to switch off the air conditioning, this is not possible, please remember you are in the country that invented it, and refusing it is at best stupid, at worst communist. If you like noise however, you will enjoy the loud electric sound of the white electric bed lamps (is there another country where tungsten lighting makes noise?). The whole thing for USD110, and they'll say Europe is expensive. But the Inn is 10 mn away from the airport (free shuttle bus), so what can you expect?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PIerre M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

It's fair to say this hotel would fit into the budget category based on its price - and it certainly lives up to this.

Whilst it is clean, it is very dated. If you are just looking for somewhere to get your head down whilst waiting for a connecting flight then this hotel is fine.

However, don't rely on a wake up call from the hotel as whilst they promise to do it, they don't. They then have the audacity to lie to you saying that they did do it and the call was answered!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew131
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Foremost, we apologize to this guest for the wake-up call failure, despite the cause for it. This Guest can be assured that was an isolated instance, because surely there must have been numerous others who had an on-time wake up call that particular morning. Because we are an airport hotel, it is imperative that Guests’ requests for wake-up calls are prompt. We even instructed our Staffs to knock on Guests’ Room doors just in case there was a phone line problem. Surely, there must have been some misinformation for this mishap, and was not deliberate.
We especially are aware of our airport passengers needs in that we provide free shuttle service transportation to the airport, a continental breakfast, and yes, wake-up calls too among many other amenities.
We are committed to do our utmost, within our budget as a 2-Star hotel, to bring the best comforts and amenities to our Guests, especially those passing through the airports.
We take the complaints and advises of our guests seriously so that we are better able to be of service.
We thank this Guest for this review and issue an apology.
west country
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Have read many unpleasant reviews about this 2 star hotel which we stayed in for 1 night prior to our flight back to London. I therefore will try to make this review more positive. People must realise that you get what you pay for, and if you are looking for a 4 star hotel, then book into one! It is that easy!. Yes, it needs refurbishment but I found it to be clean in all the right places. The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in for a long time and, the linen was spotless. Free Wi Fi worked well in our room. We arrived early after a cruise from New York and were surprised to find that our room was available , this being only 11.30 am. Okay, the location looks a bit scary and the carpets are old and shabby but it is near JFK making it really a really convenient location. We were a little disappointed with the shuttle as it does not take you to the terminal but it was FREE. We had to catch the train there which was not a problem.
With regards to the staff on reception, we found the young lady who checked us in helpful and she kindly ordered a taxi for us to go to the Outback Steakhouse in Queens. . As previously mentioned, you get what you pay for and I am happy that we probably got more than we paid for. ( booked through Booking.com for £48)

Room Tip: Look beyond the decor!
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanWestCountry
We would like to thank this guest for the time and keen observation in constructing this impartial review, whereas others can be recklessly vindictive and tend to be influenced by the ‘herd mentality’.
While there are still issues to be addressed, our primary goal is to cater to the travelers through the airport offering them the best services and amenities a 2-Star hotel can provide in the area; in other words, that they ‘get more than their money’s worth’ as commented by our Guest. We will do our best to accommodate the traveler with the necessary amenities and clean comforts, such as, the recently upgraded new 40” LCD TVs and new contemporary comfort beds installed in all rooms.
As an airport hotel, there are some operational limitations in the offerings regarding the view, shuttle pick-ups and drop-offs, and walk-to attractions. Nevertheless, our informed Staffs are ready to offer alternative advice to Guests so that their stay can be a more enjoyable experience. In fact, we have added to our services free taxi pick-up and drop-offs to the Resort Casino located 1.5 miles away. Not surprising, many of our returning Guests are taking longer stays both for business and pleasure trips.
We are very concern over our Staffs performance, and we altogether seek as team new ideas to do better. We have great plans for the future for this hotel and it is currently a matter of prioritizing our goals so that we keep growing in the field of hospitality.
We would like again to thank this guest for this realistic and critical review…… one that we would definitely be taking into consideration in our operational planning.
Reviewed 23 September 2013

the personnel it s not that friendly and it s not true what they said on their descriptio. of the hotel. it iss free shuttle but they leave you far away from the airport and the discounts are not available.... it s ok just to come for one night but the quality is to low considering the high price of the hotel

• Stayed September 2013
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
We thank this guest for the review. It is natural to be critical, especially when expectations are not met. We, nevertheless, are grateful even for such comments; for it motivates us to push the limits to do better for our Guests’ sake. However, there are limitations under which hotels have to operate within also, something our dear guest may not have given much consideration to.
For instance, the Shuttle service: To facilitate traffic flow at the JFK Airport terminals, the Port Authority has designated Federal Circle Station for Hotels’ Shuttle pick-ups and drop-offs. From there Air Trains stop by every two minutes to take passengers to terminals for free. A Guest leaving the hotel on our Shuttle for the Airport terminal will have to allocate between 15-20 minutes, which includes the Air Train ride also.
Although we are an Airport hotel, we have a growing number of multiple-nights-stay clients, especially because of our affordability, friendliness and comforts. We do offer promotions and discounts (can be seen online) especially to guests of multiple nights stays. We are on a continual pursuit to upgrade our services and amenities, and also a lot of attention is devoted to our staff hospitality conduct and training. So, whenever we are confronted with complaints, justifiable or not, against staff members we take immediate steps to investigate and rectify inappropriate conducts.
Rest assured, our prices are almost always the best in the area, considering we offer free-of-charge shuttle service, continental breakfast, internet, parking, 24-hrs café bar, etc. with lots of in-room amenities also.
Once again, we thank this guest for the review and issue an apology for the complaint of ‘staff unfriendliness’.