“Typical airport hotel preying on desperate travelers”
Review of JFK Inn

JFK Inn
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Yes, you get what you pay for but felt like we paid $150 for a shower at a YMCA. Our flight was cancelled at 11pm and rescheduled for 7am so we opted for a hot shower and bed instead of sleeping at airport. With the weather every hotel was full so we ended up here. Magically the rate was twice what was advertised even though we only needed it for 6 hours. There were mattresses stacked in every hallway, in our room an extension cord ran up from the floor to power the lamps, cable line running in from a crude hole in the ceiling, and a space heater to heat the room which was on 3 out of 4 legs and was one of 5 things plugged into the extension cord. They offered a "free" airport shuttle every half hour BUT BEWARE, they only take you to a place you can get the plane train which can mean another 45 min to your actual terminal (if it's running). Actual drop off at the terminal was available again magically for an up-charge, which they only explained after loading our bags. We opted for a $10 cab ride instead which dropped us right at the gate. On the positive side, in a pinch we had a hot shower in an old but clean bathroom, mattress and bedding seemed clean and front desk was as helpful as needed. If you are stuck and need something close to airport I'd try all the other brand names around here first, but in our situation it was fine -- if it hadn't been twice the cost of our very modest Courtyard Marriott the night before, I wouldn't even bother to write a review, but I guess I can't fault them for taking advantage of desperate travelers to make a buck. They have to make a living too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather D
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

We would like to thank this guest for this review which, though is forgivable, for most parts exhibits a lack of information where hotel operation is concern in the New York City area, at least.
We are a 2-Star, Airport hotel offering free Shuttle service, parking, wifi, telephone calls, breakfast etc. Our spacious, self contained rooms with its bathroom are furnished with huge flat screen tvs, latest comfort beds, telephones, fridges, microwaves, AC/heaters, hair dryers, etc. 24-hrs Frontdesk staffs, Room Attendants, shuttle pickup from the Airport, are there to take care of guests’ needs. (It is kind of our Guest to make mention of this)And yet with all these amenities and comforts, we offer the best prices in comparison to any hotel within the JFK Airport area.Hotels, such as that our guest recommends, prices are double that of ours.
Hotels are within their Rights of Operation to adjust their prices within a price range depending on the circumstances and events in the area.etc, – just as the Airline Industry. It is the reason why they operate on a pre-reservation basis so that clients can take advantage of cheaper rates, which is not a guaranteed factor on ready-to-use bookings.
What our Guest did not mentioned is that there was a snow storm that night and, not only was hotel rooms very limited, but it was at much higher than regular prices. Our room rate was the cheapest at that price; that is why our Guest chose us and not their hotel of choice, which way too exorbitant. Where hotel day stay is concerned, unless a hotel operates on Short-Stays, full price is charged whether the guest choose to stay for 1, 6, or 20 hours.
As for Shuttle drop off point, the Airport Authority mandates that all hotels’ shuttles pick-up and drop-off guests at the Federal Circle, located in the airport, and from there to board the Air Train to terminals. However, there are taxis available that can deliver guests to the terminals for $10-$12.

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Was forced to stay here during a blizzard which canceled my flight at JFK (literally was the last choice all other hotels were full). They were price gouging which is illegal if I'm not mistaken and charged twice the usual rate for a BASEMENT hotel room. Everything was dirty the mattresses, carpet, luggage rack, phone, etc. No outlets for charging and the heater was sealed with masking tape (are they serious?). Someone had stolen the drawer on the nightstand. Seriously the people that own this place must rely on desperate travelers because nobody would stay here with other options available. They should be ashamed.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Obamas_elephant
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I chose this hotel because it was, or so I thought, I decent value for the location. I stayed here for 3 nights. Here is a list of things to consider before choosing this hotel:

1. It advertises free wi-fi, but in reality it never worked in our room
2. I know its a 2 star hotel. but isn't working plumbing a standard for any hotel or motel?
In my room, the handle was left down on the toilet, and water was leaking all over the floor before we noticed that the floor was underwater. We had to use 4 towels on the floor to soak up the water. The hotel didn't care, and didn't do anything to resolve it.
3. The hotel advertises free breakfast, but in reality, it was just stale muffins and doughnuts, imitation juice and dry cereal. Yes its free, but you wouldn't want to eat it.
4. There is a $25 cash deposit required upon check in.set

The good points for this location, is just that , the location of the hotel. It is close to the Q6 bus stop, which is a 1/2 block down from the hotel. You can take this bus for about 20 minutes to the nearest subway. The hotel offers free shuttles to the airport. It is close to Burger King and a 7-eleven, if you want to grab some snacks. The closest sit down restaurants are bout a 15 minute drive away. If you absolutely need a room for one night, then pay the cheap price and get it over with. If you need multiple nights, and want some comfort, then I strongly urge you to reserve somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Adrienne C
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

We would like to thank this Guest for this review, which at times though seems one-sided and lack knowledge of hotel operation.
It is unfortunate that there were a couple of dissatisfaction (from the abundance of free comforts) but our Guests never once mentioned in this review that they addressed their issues to the Frontdesk Clerk for anyone. At least, had they addressed their issues to the Clerk, a room change would have been in order.
We maintain we are 2-Star hotel offering great services and amenities (many free-of-charge) at probably the best room rate in the JFK Airport area. It is where Guests’ dollar goes a long way. 24hrs Shuttle pick and scheduled drop off, parking, wifi, State-wide phone calls, continental breakfast, café bar etc. – all free of charge. Our spacious rooms with its own bathrooms are furnished with latest comfort beds, huge flat screen TVs, phone, radio/clock, fridges, microwaves, coffee-makers, iron/boards, etc.
Rooms are equipped with both wifi and hard-wired internet, although from time to time a few rooms experienced difficulty with the wireless internet. We only collect a deposit of $25(which is now only by credit card) at check-in, unlike most hotels that charge more. In the interest of the hotel, (since hotels do get to choose their guests) experience dictates that it is mandatory a security deposit is collected at check-in. When Guests check out, providing there is no incidence, the security deposit is returned.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Hello my family and i stood in this hotel and it was pretty good staff where great especailly Jackie i think thats her name she help me with everything when i came in she was really friendly and she took her time with me even tho my english is bad Also there a other girl Sarah was really nice i lost my luaggae in the airport and i ask her if she could call them and find out and she was kind and took her time to call the airline to check if my bag was there and it was there and i thank her for that. The housekeeping lady was so sweet and nice. My room was clean and nice and the service was great . I dont think this hotel is bad at all i have no complaint toward this hotel.

Room Tip: second floor is better
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne Marie G
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel and hotels staff is very kind. They are very helpfull for everything. I appreciated. I want to come and stay again. Hotel is very near the airport. so transportation isnt hard to go airport... I want to came back newyork . I am from Turkey..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Serap B
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

We would like to thank these guests for their patronage at the JFK Inn hotel and for taking the time to express their appreciation in this review. We are committed to making all our guests feel comfortable at the hotel and assisting them in whatever way we can to make their trips hassle-free and enjoyable.
Our staffs are well-informed and friendly to help you navigate your trips with the least effort. Our great hotel location provides for excellent commuting ease between the JFK Airport and the hotel. Also, traveling to Manhattan is very convenient for those who prefer to stay at our hotel to avoid expensive City hotels.
With our furnished rooms and the many amenities and comforts offered we will make your stay a very convenient and stress-free one.
Once again, special thanks to this guest and hope to see them soon again.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation to this hotel with the hope that this place would at the very least be safe for myself and my family. This wasn't exactly the case. I pulled up and the clerk was outside with several people loitering outside the hotel. This caused me some concern. Not half the concern however that I had when I entered the hotel and learned that there wasn't an elevator for my handicap parents to access our room on the second floor of this hotel. Not to mention, there was an open access point to the roof of the hotel (which was open, might I add) outside of our room. The room was filthy and I couldn't imagine what that was on the wall and the chair that was in the room. This hotel was so bad and such a safety hazard that I refused to stay in this room. They had the nerve to refuse to refund too. Please find another hotel. This hotel is a health and safety hazard.

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Cheryl J
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

I read through this unproductive review trying to justify the complaints of this Guest but cannot substantially validate any claims. Consequently, it strongly renders this review as being just vindictive (void of any constructive criticism even so) - usually an action resort by some when they cannot have their way.
To begin with, the much concerns of safety issues was a futile exercise because there was no casualty - anywhere. As a matter of fact, we have never had any serious issues where anyone of our guests’ safety was compromised. We have 24hr Frontdesk Staff and also other staffs members responding to guests’ needs and comfort.
For this Guest, who it seems has done some traveling, it is very surprising that she has not queried in foresight about the handicap friendliness at the hotel, neither was any special request made. Our hotel is a 75-room, 3-Storeyed structure without any elevator. There is one stair to the 3rd floor and one to the 1st floor since Front desk is located on the 2nd Floor. When guests notify us of handicap requests, we secure the ground level floor for them so that they have the shortest walk to their rooms and are more accessible to other conveniences.
It is presumptuous to assume that because the frontdesk staff is seen outside with other guests that he is loitering. A lot of the guests new to the area need direction and other assistance. At JFK Inn we take care of our guests. It is very unusual that guests have to wait more that 10 minutes to be checked in, unlike most hotels.
It is difficult to grasp what this guest was expecting but we operate as a 2-Star hotel offering the best rates in the area with lots of amenities, many free of charge, such as breakfast, internet, parking, café-bar, shuttle services, etc. Our clean rooms have the latest comfort beds and huge flat screen TVs and other comforts. Where cleanliness is concern, we strict control regulations.
At JFK Inn you can be assure we will take care of you so that you can SAFELY enjoy a good night’s rest and be ready to start a new day – just notify us of special requests, it will be much easier on everyone.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I booked this hotel for a group of 7 traveling the next day to South Africa. The actual hotel was OK but the transportation to and from was a disaster. We waited for over an hour and once the van arrived only 1 of our party boarded while the passengers rushed to get on. .We waited 1/2 hour again for another bus for the rest of our party. Once at the hotel since we were 7 we arranged a shuttle for our party the following day back to the airport. We were promised a separate shuttle which never happened. We waited for 1/2 hour along with a dozen others leaving some behind again. The breakfast provided was included and was a good selection. There are many hotels with transportation in the JFK area which I would choose on my next trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna C
JFKInnCharles, Director of Sales at JFK Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

After querying with our Staffs the grievance of this review, an apology is in order for this Guest and company.
Although we have two shuttles for those occasions when one is under maintenance, emergencies do occur. On that occasion in question one of our vehicles was under maintenance but then the other had a minor problem with light indicators. Because our mechanic promised that it would not be a lengthy fix, we decided not to rent a van for that one hour. Of course, by then there was more guest in-waiting at the airport. As we offer courtesy transportation between the hotel and airport, it is in situations like these that we have to prioritize and give preference to departing guests (who have flight schedules).
What our Guest could have done was to take a taxi which would have cost just about $15 since they were a big group that wanted to travel together. It helps us a lot if our Guests would inquire or make these special requests beforehand when making their reservations.
As a matter of fact, we have extended our schedules for pick-up and drop-offs to round-the-clock operations just for our Guests’ convenience. It takes less than 20 minutes for our shuttle to make a round trip to the airport and back to the hotel. We advise guests to be a few minutes early when there are many drop-offs because the shuttle will be making repeated trips every 20 minutes so that everyone enjoys the free service.
We are glad to know that all else seemed to be to our Guests’ satisfactory with their stay at the hotel.
We are always pushing the limits to bring more services to our Guests without compromising their expenses. However, a little patience and cooperation might be required.
Once again we apologize to this Guest and company and will seriously consider this type of situation to correct in the future.