“Avoid If Possible!”

Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
San Jose, CA
“Avoid If Possible!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

One big plus–it's one of the "cheapest" hotels close to JFK Airport, if you call $135 a night cheap. And the East Indian night clerk, a super nice guy with a great sense of humor, adds a little class to a classless dump. The clerks are impersonal. Rugs are rags, toilet leaks but flushed one of two nights. Sheets seemed clean, shower works, hot water flows. Breakfast includes hard-boiled eggs, cereal, milk, cheap pastries, watery canned orange juice and coffee. One lazy clerk said it was impossible for her to make reservations wrongly insisting that they could only be made on-line. Internet seems to only work if you're in the lobby. The shuttle service did pick us up promptly and takes you to the airport every half hour.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwalk, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I don't think this hotel is bad at all i have no complaint toward this hotel...Good, comfortable with a nice clean room... Breakfast was included -- a bonus. Friendly shuttle service was nice to have.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sosua, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm all about budget hotels, but puh-leeeze!

No restaurant. Surly, sullen staff. Food available from various take-out places in the area that promise delivery in 45 minutes and show up 2.5 hours later.

Scary bed. Bedspread I didn't even want to touch. Room decor includes a full wall mirror next to the bed....

I was glad I had my brown noise on my computer, as there were (not-so) muted sounds from other rooms and a child screaming for a very long time.

The best I can say is that the water is hot in the shower.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mollybloom51

Travellers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked a room online but when I checked in with my fiance' we were given the worst room in the hotel. It was down a stinky, musty hallway, the last room at the end. There was an old lamp and broken wardrobe in the hallway. There was water and water damage on the carpet and on the walls. The room was dirty and smelled moldy. It was not what was in the picture and all the rooms in that section should have been blocked off. The clerk claimed she forgot that that area had a leak! She knew exactly why she gave me that room. She looked at our color and figured we just wanted a nasty room for a few hours. The hotel looks like a place that rents by the hour (to rats and roaches). I demanded a different room which was equally as unattractive with messed up walls. It was dark and dank. The 'breakfast room' was small and cramped and it looked like the food was thrown in the cabinet with no care at all. I had asked the clerk over the phone, prior to check-in, if there was a microwave in the room and she said yes. There was no microwave in the room. The bedside table was broken. The drawer was missing. Do not ever stay in this hotel. They do not care about cleanliness, they do not care about the customer and they obviously do not care about their own reputation.

Room Tip: Read the reviews before you book. Don't let the website pictures fool you. Look at the travele...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rocknrollcowgirl
North Tonawanda NY
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night of 11 April. This was our second stay here. I guess I had a memory lapse from the last time.
Our main reason for staying here was the price and the 24-hour shuttle.
We wanted to go to sleep upon arrival, as we had a 5:45 flight the next morning,4/12.
Despite sleep aids, pillows-over-the head, etc., sleep was impossible. I am sure you can imagine every noise you could possibly hear at a a hotel. Now, pretend there are no walls. The sound was unbearable!!
The worst was yet to come. We were to take a shuttle at 3:45 a.m. for our flight. There was another gentleman waiting as well. We were told the shuttle would not leave until 4 a.m. The driver was there and available. However, we had to wait until 4 a.m. to depart.
As our bags were loaded on the shuttle, the driver told us that the air train, which one takes to get to the airport shuttles upon arrival, was not operating. He could take us to the shuttle area, but, we would have to wait for a bus which would take a while to get there and we might miss our international check-in. He said that the airport shuttles were not allowed to take people to their terminal. I told him that I knew this was not true, as we had stayed here before and were delivered to our terminal. As we fly out of JFK often to catch international flights, I know that other hotels take guests right to the terminal.
He said that if we wanted to be driven to the terminal, it would be a $15.00 charge. As there were two parties on the shuttle, we wanted to then split the cost. He said this was not possible, as we were going to terminal eight and the other gentleman to terminal five.
I told him that this was ridiculous and was not the practice. I told him that I was a contributor to TripAdvisor and that both he and the inn would get an unsavory review.
After a pregnant pause, he' radioed' someone and told us that now the air train WAS in fact working, and that we could pick up the train and go to the terminals
We luckily made our flight, as I had checked in ahead of time.
Again, I KNOW that hotels deliver guests to the terminals. On our departure Easter Sunday, the Marriott drove us directly to the terminal.
I want to know how many individuals have fallen for the 'inoperative air train' excuse at 3:45 in the morning and paid the $15 fee. There is NOTHING on the website about this. This is a scam!!!!!!!!!! I guess he realized we weren't that stupid after all.
I do plan on contacting the management about this. If I get no where, I will contact the tourism bureau in New York and the Attorney General's office.
So, if you do decide to stay here, please be aware. I would hate to see anyone taken.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanne-Chiarmonte
JFKInnCharles, Guest Relations Manager at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
PLEASE GET THE FACTS FIRST!!!!
For a RETURNING Guest (Not because of “amnesia” but great service and price- No previous complaints) who honestly believes that a hotel personnel is not acting in accordance to hotel policy, the considerate and insightful thing to do firstly is to contact the hotel’s management concerning the ‘errant’ personnel. AT LEAST, TRY TO GET THE FACTS FIRST BEFORE ENGAGING VIEWERS AND THEN TRY TO POLISH YOUR STANCE. It disheartening to see that upon sheer presumption our guest decided to air her frustration first on Tripadvisor (after initial threats), THEN intends to approach the hotel’s management.
While some hotels in the JFK Airport area DO NOT provide COURTESY Shuttle services at all, we have been increasing our COURTESY Shuttle operations. In fact, we have 24hr pickup from the airport (Federal Circle), and scheduled drop-off because of flight considerations. Guests are informed of this schedule (begins at 4:00am, upgraded from 4:30am, can be seen also) upon checking in the hotel. Those whose departures do not fall within the scheduled timing will have to arrange for a taxi (cost about $20), unless Staffs guarantee otherwise. Surely, these guests were aware of the schedule upon checking in.
Why should this guest be so presumptuous and insist to be taken at 3:45am when a 4:00a appointment was made??? What would happen if a guest showed up for the 4:00am shuttle if the driver went off for an unscheduled 3:45am??? That guest might very well be late for a flight since guests usually show up for a schedule drop-off without any prior notification.
Our COURTESY Shuttle route of operation (like other hotels, and not as our guest presumed) is between Federal Circle and the hotel, unless we pledge accountability for a guest going directly to the terminal. The Airport Authority, in managing traffic control at terminals, has DESIGNATED Federal Circle for hotels guests’ pickup and drop-offs. Case in point, the shutting down of services at Terminals 2 and 3 has caused further concentration of traffic at the other Terminals. OUR DRIVERS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID GOING DIRECTLY TO TERMINALS OTHERWISE THEY WOULD BE HELD PERSONALLY ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENCES SUCH AS TICKETING AND GETTING STUCK IN TRAFFIC. Also, whenever there is no Air train in operation, the Port Authority provides buses to transport hotel guests to their terminals from Federal Circle.
There is no need to vilify everything about the hotel (even the past no-incidence visit) upon sheer presumption concerning the actions ($15 for extra service) of one personnel: it put these guests in the same or worst position than the driver (that is, if he was at fault). In any case, this Driver was confronted about this review and administration has reinforced the restriction on Drivers out-of-bounds activities.
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have booked via internet but arrived late at night (but I send and email to them advising); they told me that no room was still available. But they took money from my credit card. THIEVES. Don't book. Don't go.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank drarduinopg
JFKInnCharles, Guest Relations Manager at JFK Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
This person is obviously upset. Since there is not much details on this matter it is even more difficult to make an inquiry because staff at the hotel cannot recollect an irate guest with such a problem. It would be a lot helpful if this guest can contact the management with the details of this situation.
While hotels have specified check-in hours, for our guests who are expecting to be late, we have 24-hours shuttle pick up from the airport and 24-hr Front Desk but with a limited room service during the night. If our guests contact us with their special needs such as, check-in, traveling, etc., we will try our utmost to help and accommodate them.
The only way this guest could have been charged was if the hotel staff were convinced it was a No-Show on his/her part and he/she failed to do a 24-hr advanced notice.
As for credit card charges without consent, credit card companies are strict concerning their policies towards their clients’ protection, therefore it is impossible for the hotel to commit credit card theft.
Highspire, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

If I read the reviews I would never stopped here!

Thanks goodness I read it when I was checking out... I spend 4 hours looking for an affordable, clean and secure place to stay during my short visit to NY, the front desk lady was nice and she was very pleasant to talk to, we asked for something close to the front office for security (I'm always trying to feel secured) and she did everything to find one even though we knew the hotel were almost on its full capacity.

Yes small rooms! but when you come to NY you want to go out and enjoy the city, then come back to a nice room to sleep. I checked the room and it was CLEAN, no like the previous reviews said, (and trust me I know what I'm saying!) I used to work in the hospitality field and I have the custom to ask for new sheets and towels when I check in, at any hotel but here it wasn't necessary we checked the bed and sheets, bathroom and towels and everything was PERFECT.

Bathroom yes really small! but hey, you just use bathroom to take care of your business, not to throw a party inside of it.

Prices....well I paid 120.00 for the night, humm it hurts at the beginning, but after 4 hours and no hotels available on an affordable price, this was a great deal!

I have a great experience, Im comming back!

Ps. They even have breakfast great extra to start your morning!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends