I have stayed in many different hotels around the world, ranging from 2 to 5 stars...and therefore my expectations with hotels and the amount I pay for their rooms is reasonable. While this hotel is very affordable, the quality of service (especially since it is in N. America) is much lower than what you pay.
They offer an airport shuttle, so I e-mailed for details as well as giving details of my own flight. (We were at JFK with an 12 hour layover.) ETA was 8:35pm, but with the flight delay and re-checking of baggage, it was more like 10:55pm when we arrived at Federal Circle. We called this hotel and we were told that there are no shuttle services past 11pm. (Extremely frustrating, as we just had an 8-hour flight. PLUS, in my e-mail I detailed the flight number, arrival time, and contact cell phone number. No one bothered to check on our arrival, call my cellphone or even to inform us in reply to the original e-mail that shuttle service ends at 11pm!!!) We had to get a taxi (another $20) and wait outside in the cold (January 4th and we weren't wearing much as we had just flew in from Peru).
Got to the hotel and waited an extra 15-20min to check-in. Wanted to buy a Dasani water from the vending machine, but ended up getting Poland Springs? (My sister-in-law also bought a drink from the vending machine and the brand that came out was totally different.)
In the evening, we signed up for shuttle service to the airport for 6:30am. We were told it is first-come, first-serve. There was one gentlemen and a family of 3 with a lot of luggage also wanting the shuttle service. We were waiting in the lobby first, but I didn't realize that first-come, first-serve would mean having to line up outside near the shuttle. (AGAIN IT WAS COLD!) Didn't think we were going to fit in the shuttle. Luckily, we did. But, all the time I kept thinking, why did we even bother to sign-up for shuttle service, when it is a first-come, first-served basis. And instead of waiting outside with all the luggage, why couldn't the hotel have a policy (such as ticket numbers) such that we could wait inside and maintain some sort of order?!?
I will never stay at this hotel again and seriously rethink about staying at any Howard Johnson in the future.
Note: While this hotel stranded us at the airport without a shuttle, the shuttle driver for Hilton was especially helpful in getting us a taxi to get to Howard Johnson. If I ever find myself at JFK for an extended period of time again, I will be staying at the Hilton!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Newly Renovated Howard Johnson Inn at JFK Airport, NY. A modern two story interior corridor hotel with an elevator awaits your arrival. Located in the fastest growing area of New York City, this hotel puts you right in the middle of all that New York City has to offer. Within a few minutes of the Hotel you will find JFK Intl Airport, LaGuardia Airport, Jones Beach State Park, Rockaway Beach, Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Arthur Ash Stadium-US Open, Shea Stadium, Belmont Race Track, Jacob Javits Center, Green Acres Mall, Roosevelt Field Mall and New York Aquarium. Resort World New York Casino is 2 miles away. Start your stay off right with coffee, tea, hot chocolate upon check-in. During your stay, enjoy our fitness center and countless other amenities such as free high speed internet access. Before departing in the morning, make sure to visit our warm and inviting breakfast area where we offer complimentary USA Today newspaper and serve Continental Breakfast. Enjoy our fresh baked hot waffles which compliment our expanded continental breakfast offerings of fresh fruits, cereals, juices and a coffee bar. All the while, feel safe and secure with our nightly hotel-only dedicated private security that is here for your peace of mind. All of our finely appointed rooms were recently renovated and include premium one cup coffee makers, iron/board, hair dryers, premium massaging shower heads, safes, AM/FM radio alarm clock, Electronic locks, satellite television, activity table and chair, New Beds and granite bathrooms. Yes, we are pet friendly with a fee of 50.00 per night per pet. Our hotel takes pride in the Earth Green practices. We utilize 100 percent fluorescent lighting throughout the hotel. We urge you to please turn off the lights if you are not utilizing the room and conserve water. Limited Parking Available. Sorry No Park and Fly available. Must have one adult 21 years or older in each room. Airport guests take the Air Train on second floor to Federal Circle. Once at Federal Circle give the hotel call to pick up from 5AM to 11PM EST. Authorization forms must be obtained from the front desk if using company's CC or the credit card in different name than the guest name prior to arrival. In 2011 all our rooms were updated with new paint, beds, comforters, pillows and granite bathrooms. All smoking rooms are constrained to one floor and wing. 57 rooms were designated exclusively non-smoking and pet free after the renovation was complete. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, HostelWorld and Hotels.com so you can book your Howard Johnson Inn Jamaica JFK Airport NYC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jfk Airport Hotels Howard Johnson Inn, Jamaica, Nyc Hotel Jamaica
- Jamaica Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Jamaica
- Howard Johnson Inn Jamaica JFK Airport NYC New York