“Layover at JFK”

Radisson Hotel JFK Airport
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Weather cancelled flights created a very tense attitude in passengers and standing in line for an hour waiting for rebooking just added to the excitement.
The airline (Delta) booked me a room at the Radisson JFK and, after taking a train and a bus arrived.
The hotel is perfectly fine as an airport hotel. The room was clean and mostly quiet.
No noise from other hotel guests but the traffic noise, and occasional siren, weren't drowned out by the fan.
Cheryl, the bartender in the Lounge, was very pleasant and extremely helpful when this tired old traveler just wanted a drink and something to eat.

Room Tip: High, even numbers (XX22+) are farthest away from the highway and face oncoming traffic.
1  Thank PA_Larry_Z
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Greetings from the Radisson at JFK Airport

We are glad we could meet all your expectations during your recent stay and would like you to think of us as your home away from home when ever you are in the New York area.

manage Operations

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel JFK Airport

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel since my flight out of JFK was canceled. The hotel was extremely clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. A number of passengers and airline staff had to be put up at the hotel due to weather so naturally everyone wanted to leave around the same time the next morning. The hotel put extra shuttles into service to get everyone to the airport on time. My flight was later in the day so I wasn't in big rush like most of the other so the hotel staff comp'd my lunch. The front desk staff at check out and check in were great - special thanks to Farah, Richard and Arti.

2  Thank Tim N

Valued Guest

We are glad you had a pleasant stay on your short stop here at the Radisson Hotel JFK airport. The front desk staff that you compliment in the review will get a pat on their backs for the "Yes I can" attitude that the Radisson brand is known for. We look forward to hosting you again in better circumstances.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was traveling from Brussels, Belgium back to the Pacific Northwest band due to airline delays I missed my connecting flight in New York. Delta set me up with a room at the Radisson for the evening.
The front desk was very helpful and friendly especially Farah and Aarti. The breakfast was very good with plenty of options. The price was a bit high at more than $15.00.
The Radisson provided shuttle service to and from the airport which after a long day of travel was appreciated very much.

2  Thank Daddad44
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after your recent stay. We will make sure the front desk team get the kudos they rightly deserve. We hope to serve you again in better circumstances.

Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Similar to a previous hotel guest, I had some major problems at this Radisson. First, the hotel shuttle didn't come and I had to freeze outside in the cold. Then, the hotel shuttle broke down in the middle of a bridge with traffic coming on both sides. We sat there for about 20 minutes with a baby on board. Finally, another shuttle came and we had to change shuttles on the traffic lanes in the dark. I don't even want to mention the dangers involved of walking on icy roads in the middle of a dark night with cars coming on both sides... At the hotel, no-one said "sorry", it was just hushed up. No appology, it was only stated "yes, we know...". The dinner was $35. Even though it was paid by the airline and it was a nice buffet, it was never worth $35!!! Cheap all-you-can-eat restaurants are beter than what we were served. There are no other restaurant options in the area. As I had an early morning flight, I dared to buy two muffins. Instead of charging me $8, I was charged $80 and $50 - total $135! I NEVER gave Radisson permission to make these credit card charges. What I experienced was far below standarts (even for a JFK hotel) and I have no desire to stay at this hotel again. I don't recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: Don't buy any food from this hotel !!!
4  Thank LukiLukeGO
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest

This has been one of the most severe winters that the North East has seen in the past few years and has taken a toll on both the roads and vehicles. We are sorry and apologize for the situation that stormy night and will have that addressed with the staff. As for the over charge was this human error corrected before you did leave the property.

At the Radisson Hotel JFK Airport we try our best to resolve every guest issue before the guest has even left our doors but if this was not the case we would appreciate if you could reach out to our accounting team who would be glad to help.

Manager Front Office Operations

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was staying at the Radisson on 1/26/14 after my flight was cancelled so I was stuck in NY. My wake up call was 15 minutes earlier than I asked which was not a huge deal (there are bigger upsets in this world). However, what I was upset about was when I went downstairs I was waiting for a cab which was late. In order to kill some time I asked the front desk if they served a continental breakfast. The young man said yes they did and to go right in. There was no one at the entrance of the food area so I waited a bit then decided to just take a seat. I had a glass of orange juice and some toast and then went out to check on my cab. As i was leaving a woman asked me "where I thought I was going" and that I needed to pay before I left. I tried to explain to her that the young man gave me the impression that the breakfast was included. She said that I "needed to wait right there" while she called the front desk. She said that some girl "never told me that" so obviously I must be a liar. I was extremely offended as I told her that it was not a woman and a gentleman that told me this and she said that it didn't matter what he said and that "I needed to pay." I asked to speak to a manager where she claimed that she was a manager. So i went to the front desk where a young lady was who was very polite (and i apologize for me being upset) told me that the guy that told me this was new and that she was very sorry. My issue is I have been a waiter for 11 years. If i EVER treated anyone that way I would have been immediately reprimanded. I tried my best to explain my situation and that the hotel told me it was included. I should not have been treated like I was a thief or trying to pull one over on them, nor should I have been charged when the hotel told me it was included. Not to mention, where was she the whole time I waited to be seated??? When I asked her this she had no answer for me. So although the Radisson got their 11 dollars from me for watered down OJ and a couple of sausage links (and that's all i initially ate) I will make sure to spread the word about her lack of customer service to ensure that she doesn't CHEAT anyone else.

2  Thank David Z
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Valued guest

On the human front I would like to first apologize for the situation. Apart from just offering you the $11 refund the Director of Food & Beverage is making sure we address this issue in all internal stand up meetings. The front office manager is making sure new hires are aware of the amenities that guest receive.

Can I request that you contact us so that we can resolve this issue and put it in the past with a re-assurance that it will not be repeated.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had the opportunity last week to stay at this hotel and unfortunately it was not what I thought, the staff was not very corteous, with the low temperatures I arrived at JFK and the driver saw me arrive, I call the hotel regarding the shuttle and I asked the operator to await for me and the driver saw me and left me there with that cold (-8 c) almost freezing myself I had to wait for almost 30 more minutes of snow for the driver. Not recommended at all.

3  Thank Alfredo Jose G
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Valued Guest

As a frequent traveler and one who has 114 K in travel miles we know that we failed on this visit of yours. We are in an industry where courtesy has to come without training; so we want to reach out to you and all our patrons to reassure you that we take these reviews seriously. Corrective measures will be put in place especially for areas of concern that you mention.

We want every guest experience to be one that will make them a repeat customer and want you to give us another chance to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Flight delay.
Flight cancellation,then postponement at JFK
High cost in and out of city. For an 16 hour turn around
The next best thing, a warm comfortable place to stay with 3 great meals and a staff that jumped to it at a short moments notice when inundated with 250-300 suddenly arriving guests.
Not much more to say other than the ambience provided a nice prelude to meeting many of those that we were about to spend a vacation with on a group tour.
And, it was freezing cold outside .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Savio M, Manager at Radisson Hotel JFK Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review- Like you mention the team at the Radisson Hotel JFK Airport strives hard to make every event here a pleasant one. We have hands on crew who manage large airline layover groups of 150+ people at the desk as well as our restaurant outlets.