“Good rest stop”

Holiday Inn Express At JFK
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Shuttle bus from jfk was quick and easy - good check in - comfortable clean room - breakfast starts at 5 and was good - shuttle back to jfk on the hour so took cab to alamo car rental instead good value hotel - perfect rest stop after overnight flight or between connections

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Angela W,

Thank you for writing a review on the Tripadvisor website. I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary full hot breakfast buffets served from 5 AM to 9 AM daily and found our shuttle to be convenient. We are all looking forward to your next visit from the United Kingdom.

Regards,

Brent A. Hnatow

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel provides shuttle pick-up and drop from JFK airport which is very convenient . The hotel is very close to the airport and it takes a max of 10-15 mins to reach. Breakfast was included in the package and it was again really convenient as we has an early morning flight to catch from JFK. The front desk staff are friendly and extremely helpful.....really appreciate their efforts !! One would require to take a taxi to reach the nearest subway station and the hotel is not close to any of the tourist attractions as it is close to the aiport. We stayed here for a night and this hotel is ideal for a stop-over.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I selected the hotel mainly because it was close to the airport and I arrived late and was leaving early.

the arrival to the hotel was ok, although I am still puzzled by why the Holiday Inn Express, any express does not provide drinking water at no charge.

The room was ok...but....

In the morning the hotel offers free shuttle to the airport 24 hrs but fail to mention if every 15 mins or 30 mins...needless to say I missed mine and had to get a taxi.

I asked the clerk to call me a taxi and as the taxi arrived I noticed that he came towards me and then started to walk toward the clerk of the hotel that called the taxi...

The clerk stated to say something but noticed me walking toward the desk and looked at me and stop. It was obvious that she wanted a private conversation with the taxi driver. the taxi came over and took my bag and loaded into the vehicle.

As I sat in the taxi, the driver grab a few dollars and put it into an envelop and walked back to the hotel clerk and came back empty handed, it was obvious that he was a commission payment in cash.

As we drove away I stated to the driver that I asked for to take credit card as I did not have cash, he then stated that the minimum is 20 dollars and my ride did not qualify for 20 dollars.

I stated to him tha I will pay the minimum as I have no time to debate the issue, I then remembered the money that he provided to the clerk for calling him...or what I assumed is a commission payment.

It would not have been so bothersome if the taxi would not have said a 20 dollar minimum on the credit card.

I called the hotel manager to let him know that I was displeased about this and keep getting their voice mail and left messages before posting this, and no return calls.

I would expect this in other parts of the world not here... (sorry world)

After seeing the commercial for the Holiday Inn Express about how smart you get for staying at their hotel...and after having this experience, needless to say the smart thing to do is change hotels.

I am bothered that the hotel did not look after my interest in calling for me the taxi service because of security and confidence but rather because of a kick back that the hotel clerk was receiving and it seems that I paid twice.

Not that I received a kick back for staying at this hotel or even getting a free bottle of water which cost 3 dollars.

Room Tip: Skip the hotel and get another
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank fracolon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear fracolon,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Hotel is located in the suburb of Jamaica adjacent to the JFK Expressway and the Belt Parkway and very close to the JFK Airport. While it is close to the airport it is not close to much else. There is no restaurant in the Hotel and there is not much nearby in the way of food outlets.

The hotel does provide TV Dinner style meals for sale in the hotel, it also provides a number of flyers for restaurants in the area that deliver, this is fine if you don't have any food restrictions, it however, is a bit of a problem if you do.

The rooms were small but very functional. The "Complimentary" breakfast was basic but did provide something to start the day with.

The hotel is excellent if you are looking for a layover near to the airport, if you are looking for a longer stay, I suggest you try somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John_W97
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear John_W97,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room being functional.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our location. We will look into ways that will make our guest more comfortable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We picked this hotel mainly because of its proximity to JFK. Just like other airport hotels in the area, courtesy shuttles are provided from Federal Circle (reachable from JFK by the AirTrain) to the hotel. The rooms although small is clean and comfortable with good beds providing the usual Holiday Inn Express choice of soft and firm pillows. The free buffet breakfast offering a choice of hot meals and the cereal (the cheese stuffed omelets tasted awesome) provided a fresh and energetic start to the day! The front desk has to be commended for their friendliness. Seeing I was an IHG Rewards member, they even offered me a free snack from their snack corner!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice and booked the parking package both times. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful, especially Brian who has gone out of his way to help during each stay. We plan on staying at the HI Express JFK in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kidsaregone65
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A good hotel to stay overnight after a long flight from Aust. Shuttle bus runs 24/7 on the hour to JFK, good sized room, free WiFi and breakfast included. Excellent example of the Express chain. Good choice of meals can be ordered from outside caterers. Although close to busy road, no traffic noise. Nice touch was bedside lamps with power points. Only downside was noisy air con.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple