“Ok for a night but overpriced.”

Holiday Inn Express At JFK
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent the night here on a recent trip back from Europe since it is close to JFK and they run a free airport shuttle. The shuttle service was slow, the overall condition of the hotel was barely acceptable, it was loud with construction worker type guys hanging out in the hallways and dining area (drinking beer and eating popcorn. The room itself was with a great bed, but the air conditioner was too loud and it smelled a little musty. We had to have our dinner delivered because there do not appear to be any restaurants (or anything else) in the area. This place was not worth the money we paid and not to the Holiday Inn Express standards.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Flyb0yz,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a review. While we are pleased to read that you liked the bed, it is regrettable that the shuttle service, air conditioning system, and hotel condition. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had with the noise challenges. As hospitality professionals, we provide product and service rates that are competitive in the area while simultaneously ensuring that our facilities are well maintained. It is not our intent to inconvenience you, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

As a valued guest, please be assured that all comments will be acted upon and used to continually improve guest satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next future visit.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The staff at this hotel continues to impress me. From the shuttle driver to the desk clerk to the ones cleaning the room to those working in the breakfast area. They all go out of their way to make you feel at home. The room might be slightly smaller than one is used to, but the staff more than makes up for that.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The quality of service was very poor. The hotel had a power outage upon my arrival. The front desk staff was in total disarray. I arrived at the hotel roughly 10:30 pm after driving 7 hours. The hotel cancelled my reservation without noticed because they could not get an authorization from my card the day of my arrival So instead of calling to confirm if I was arriving late; they cancelled it. Mind you I am a priority club member. I was informed by the staff that this is their policy. I questioned, why would you try to get an authorization from my card in my file, what if I planned to use another card. He just kept saying it ways thier policy. I told Bryan that in my confirmation there was nothing stated about them doing it. Tiffany, another front desk staff member did not want really help with checking in that night do to it being very hectic so she walked away from the customers waiting to get helped to continue chatting with someone from her country and returned to only stand at the counter and not offer her help to anyone. Byran, was able to find me a room but it was one bed vs. two beds and I was traveling with my daughter. The room I was in was a very small corner room. Bryan tried make a REALLY bad situation better by discounting $50.00. I was ok with it. I requested something in writing from him; his computer was now having issues and Tiffany reluctantly helped. Bryan explained to her what needed to be done. Needless to say, she charged my card incorrectly. I was never informed that I needed a password to access the internet; once I was aware, I called from my room numerous times only to have the call be disconnected. I send my daughter downstairs to get the code while she is downstairs I decided to call again from the room and call from my cell, Bryan answers the line that my cell is coming in on. I am furious.
The night manager was never on the property even though there was a sign that stated she was there. The crew that worked June 28, felt like it was the keystone cops. They were tripping all over each other. I understand things happen but this team did not have a plan in place to keep the customers calm and happy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Simbaprice

Dear Simbaprice,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. It is regrettable that you were not able to experience an exemplary hotel stay. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional information about your experience. We hope to hear from you soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I needed a safe pleasant place to stay for a one night layover at JFK. This worked out perfectly and for a moderate price. I knew the hotels faced the Belt Parkway and was not expecting much of a neighborhood, but was a little put off as the shuttle approached and it went by a yard with all the garbage trucks for the borough of Queens, the snow plows, a beehive shaped building filled with sand for the roads and the school bus yard. There are four moderate major chain hotels in this cluster and the Holiday Inn Express faced the parkway and the view of the garbage trucks was blocked by the other hotels.
The interior of the room was great- soundproof, good AC, a great mattress and clean all white modern bedding, HBO on a big TV. The front desk staff were super friendly and efficient, even did little things like run over to the elevator to call it if you were approaching. The shuttle bus drivers were polite and fast and explained the layout of the airport to those who were not familiar with it. It was very refreshing after some service in the airport that was sullen to the point of being bizarre.
Of note, the more expensive chains had locations on the other side of the highway that did not look any better and were much more expensive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a night at each end of our trip. I have nothing but good things to say about the whole experience. They offer a prompt shuttle service from/to the airport. The front desk staff go above and beyond.They offer menus for local restaurants. We used two of the restaurans and ordering was easy and delivery fast. This will become our choice for our clients when they fly out of JFK early in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel at midnight by cab as we had seen a show in NYC. Check-in was quick as we were the only customers. We literally were there just long enough to go to bed and get up the next morning to catch a flight. The bathroom had a bit of a musty smell and the carpet was not great in the room but the bed and linens were fine. We had to take the elevator down so we were more below ground than above. The hallway to our room upon arrival and departure was taken up by laundry trolleys and other carts. It was difficult to get by with luggage. There was no room service or any other information I could find about ordering food or wine. Breakfast was OK but nothing special - the "full hot breakfast" from what I could see consisted of a round meat sausage and precooked omelettes that looked like just egg. I didn't try either. The shuttle is every 1/2 hour except during a few hours in the very early AM hours. It left a bit late, but we had lots of time. So points for the free WIFI, breakfast and shuttle but the ambiance of the room and hotel overall was not great and alone would rate a 2.5.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is above street level.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear CanadianIslanders,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad that you liked our bed and linens. However, I apologize that the bathroom facility and the carpet of our room did not meet your standards. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience the same scenario in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.

Best Regards,

Charisse V

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed one night in June 18 2014, prior to our flight back to home. We arrived late in the night due a delayed flight from Amsterdam, so we called for the shuttle. The receptionist was very professional. The shuttle is quick and effective .The beds were so comfortable with nice sheets and great pillows, clean and really good . Maybe a little noisy because the room was near the Cafeteria, but we are so tired that really don't bather. Very convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room faraway the Cafeteria.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends