“Convenient and welcoming ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express At JFK

Holiday Inn Express At JFK
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Brisbane
“Convenient and welcoming ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel online via booking.com, and only ever having stayed at the JFK area a few times before, I was hesitant to stay at a different hotel. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

I finally made it to the hotel after a long delayed flight from Toronto. The shuttle was on time at the airport, and it was a quick ride to the hotel.

Even tho it was quite late in the evening (approx 8.30pm), the reception desk was quite busy, and there were a few people checking in. Taneisha who was working at the desk when I arrived was super friendly, very professional and efficient. There was a man ahead of me who was checking in, and she apologised to me for the delay, and said she wouldn't be long. I wasn't bothered at all by the wait - it was only a few minutes at most, and Taneisha was so polite and friendly. When it came to my turn to check in, Taneisha remembered talking to me on the phone earlier during the day (when I called from Toronto to say my flight was delayed), and I was impressed with her recount of our conversation. Check in with Taneisha was smooth and without and problems. She apologised that all the king-bedded rooms on higher floors were sold out, and there were only king-bedded rooms on the first floor, or she could give me a queen-bedded room on a higher floor. I wasn't fussed at all, and took a king-bedded room on the first floor. Taneisha then explained everything about the hotel to me - breakfast, wifi, ice machine, vending machine etc., and also gave me some menus for local restaurants that deliver.

Overall, I was quite pleased with my room. Even tho it was sub-level to the road and faced the car park, it was clean, quiet, and everything I needed for an overnight stay. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the other room amenities were great.

Breakfast the next morning was great! Even tho it wasn't a full buffet breakfast as you'd expect from a full Holiday Inn, it was still very satisfying for a free breakfast. They offered hot dishes - cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon and pancakes; there was cereal, bread, muffins, fruit, yoghurt, juices, tea and coffee. I picked a bad time to have breakfast at 9.30am, and it was quite busy with a lot of other hotel guests, but I couldn't fault the attendant who was promptly restocking the breakfast supplies during the meal service.

Having stayed at 2 other JFK airport hotels on a few occasions, Holiday Inn Express Kennedy is now my top choice if I ever need to transit through again.

And a special thanks to Taneisha - that girl is a super star!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Solo_Flyer1
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Solo_Flyer1

Thank you for writing such a detailed review of my property. I truly appreciate you sharing your experiences with all our future guests on Tripadvisor. I also have to agree that Taneisha is a super star! We all look forward to your next visit from Toronto.

Brent A. Hnatow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We checked in around 10:30PM. The staff at the desk could not have been nicer or more helpful. The next morning we tried to take the shuttle to the airport. We had a lot of luggage, so even though we were first in line, when the shuttle arrived the other folks pushed past us and we missed it. When I asked the manager to call us a cab, he promised to get us on the next shuttle. When the next one arrived he personally loaded our luggage and made sure we had a spot. The room was clean and comfortable, service was outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Matt T,

We appreciate the time you took to write a review of our property. I was glad to read you found my front office associates helpful and that they provided outstanding service. We all look forward to your next visit.

Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked because this was a Holiday Inn Express, but it was no where near the quality we expected. You have to take one elevator down to the breakfast area to get to the other elevators that go to the rooms. There were only two, and one was broken. We waited forever for the one remaining elevator; it turns out the maids were using it and keying it to a stop on each floor as they picked up towels and sheets. There are no restaurants within walking distance and no microwaves in the rooms. If you want to buy one of the little microwave dinners they sell in the lobby, you have to use the lobby microwave and then tote your hot container down to the unattractive breakfast area or wait for an elevator until your dinner gets cold. The staff at the desk were very friendly, but one had such a loud, shrill voice that I had to cover my ears to avoid pain. Given the high cost of cabs, you are better off paying more to stay at a hotel that has its own restaurant. And more than one functional elevator. And doesn't require two different elevators to get your luggage to your room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Visitor44535,

I was disappointed to read your recent review. It is true that there are not many restaurants within walking distance but there a quite a few local establishments that deliver and are open very late. Our market in addition to microwavable meals also sells freshly prepared salads, wraps and sandwiches. I along with most of my associates are native New Yorkers and we do speak a little louder than our counterparts in the rest of the USA. I have shared your comments with my front office team and they will be more mindful of the volume of their speech moving forward.

Brent A. Hnatow

Travellers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having read some of the negative reviews, I was ready for anything. What I realize is that some people stay here by necessity (flight cancellation) so they are not in a good mood. So the fact that the staff here is SO courteous and friendly is impressive, since they have to deal with some pretty angry people. I'm a Platinum member of Priority Club, and let me tell you, it's rare to have house maids or kitchen staff say hello anywhere, let alone in NYC.

I inspected 2 rooms before deciding on the third room. All were clean and attractive. Yes, the price is higher than the suburbs, but a whole lot cheaper than Manhattan! Oh, and Pizza Port, recommended by the front desk staff, delivered delicious food for ten bucks. You bet I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the back corner to avoid expressway traffic noise if you are a light sleeper.
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
RC,

I truly appreciate the time you took to write a review of my property. It is extremely gratifying to read the review of a well-traveled guest who acknowledges how courteous and friendly my associates are. John F. Kennedy International Airport also known as JFK is the United States' 6th busiest airport and originally opened in 1948 so even with the recent improvements it is not always the easiest airport to navigate especially during periods of inclement weather. My associates and I always try to make everyone feel at home no matter what the reason for their stay. Thank you for pointing out what a great value we are as we include a full hot complimentary breakfast buffet served from 5AM to 9 AM each morning, complimentary Wi-Fi and shuttle transportation to and from JFK airport 24hrs a day. We do also offer a pizza package which is another great value as the price of the room includes one large New York style thin crust pizza, with two toppings and a two liter bottle of soda.

We are all looking forward to your next visit.

Brent A Hnatow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times and I will use again and again.

I'd say this is an average holiday inn express.

Pros:
- it's clean
- it's a stone throw away from the airport
- it's got free and ample parking facilities
- staff is friendly and welcoming
- free wi-fi
- good and prompt problem solving (I had issues with WiFi, I called and after 5 minutes I was called back by the ISP customer service who fixed it for me, no hassle at all).

Cons:
- the neighborhood is what it is
- no good restaurants in the proximity of the hotel
- breakfast at the hotel is terrible
- rooms are tiny

Hope this helps

Marco

Zibbu,

Thank you for writing a review of my property. I was glad to read that my associates were all friendly and welcoming and that you found the hotel to be clean. It is true that we do not have a restaurant within walking distance but there are quite a few local restaurants that deliver. They will even bring beer and wine with your meal. Our market also features freshly prepared sandwiches and salads which are great for a late night snack. There are many options for evening meals for just about anyone’s palate. Our complimentary hot breakfast buffet offerings have also recently changed as we now offer several alternatives to the typical American pork breakfast. We now feature turkey bacon and turkey sausage as a more healthful option. We are all looking forward to your next visit.

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The stated policy on their website is to hold your room until check out time after your first night. Sounds great right? Well our flight was delayed due to rain and they canceled our reservation without notice excuse we were late. So we arrived to find ourselves without a room (and they were fully booked). I guess if you know for sure that you'll arrive without delay they may be a fine choice but with that kind of customer service, I'd stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Brent H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At JFK, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Jdsherm,

We honor all guaranteed and confirmed reservations. We always suggest providing contact information when booking a reservation and informing us if you will be a late arrival. I am not sure what transpired with your reservation and why it was cancelled. I would like to discuss your individually situation so that it can be addressed appropriately. I can be reached at 718-977-3100 extension 455 or if you prefer email at bhnatow@mrhotelgroup.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Front staff was very friendly, courteous and accommodating. It appears as though the rooms were recently updated, so they are very clean and beds super comfortable. Breakfast is so-so, but it does the trick. If you have to overnight near JFK, I would recommend as prices are reasonable, they offer free on-time shuttle service, rooms are spotless, and the staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly.

Sleep Quality