“Thumbs UP”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
NW Illinois
“Thumbs UP”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

6/23/2009 Trip was 6/19/2009-6/22/2009 Let me put this in perspective, we live in out in the country in NW Illinois where the nearest neighbors are 1 mile away in any direction. We tend to be nervous in the “big city”. With that said, I tried to research where to stay and found a number of reviews on this hotel. I was very impressed with what I found when we got there. We were allowed to check in at 11:00am 4 hrs before the stated time. We went to the room and freshened up. The room was very clean as was the bath room. We parked the car and purchased subway tickets (7 day unlimited for $25). The subway was 8 min walk up the street and the ride was only 20-25 min to Times Sq. We never had to drive anywhere except back and forth to LGA. (We could have taken a cab but are not really sure about the ins and outs of that) When we do it again I will take the bus from LGA to one of the MTA stations. Safety wise, there are bars on the windows at the near by food places but we felt comfortable at all times. The breakfast area was clean and we loved the fresh waffles. We inspected the rest room near the breakfast area expecting to find it less clean then our hotel room but found it in the same clean orderly fashion as the room was. The hotel staff was very friendly all 4 days we stayed.

Concerning Manhattan and surrounding area, the only rude people we found were non-Americans who found it necessary to push wherever they went. The Statue of Liberty wasn’t going to be moving so I am not sure why they had to be the first ones off the ferry. When we needed directions the uniformed officers seemed more then happy to answer the questions. Next time I will have a small compass to get my bearings coming out of the subway stations. When waiting in line at the TK office in Times Square one should make up their mind with at least three options of what they want to see BEFORE then get to the windows. It was kind of frustrating hearing people time and time again ask the ticket taker “What’s playing” They could have read the sign for the 30 min they stood there. You might want to skip Coney Island…didn’t feel real safe there off the boardwalk. Some one said in another post to stay clear of the rest rooms at the subway station at Coney Island. They were not kidding. What a mess. I guess we should have gone to Central Park instead.

Would we do it again at the same hotel? Without a doubt yes.
I posted this in YAHOO as well.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Stonebarnfarm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
denver
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Hello! I recently stayed in this hotel on a visit to New York with my husband. It is what we have come to expect of a Best Western; clean, comfortable, and the staff is very helpful. We got to explore NYC at non-NYC prices. The subway into Manhattan is very near to the hotel, plus the a cab to the hotel from LGA was very cheap. If you are coming in from JFK, you can easily take the subway to the hotel as well, I found out its only a few stops from the airport by train. I plan to stay here again during the US Open, as you can easily take the train to Arthur Ashe Stadium in just ten minutes.
The breakfast was great, and helped us maximize our day as we didn't have to spend time trying to find something to eat in the morning. There are grocery stores, restaurants, and a coffee shops located by the hotel as well. The hotel is located on a major street, so I felt safe and comfortable walking to and from the subway station to the hotel.
The amenities were great, including a small gym and wifi. The hotel was very clean, it seemed brand new! The staff was curteous, and helped us plan our trip by giving us directions and helpful tips.
I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to explore Manhattan. I looked around quite a bit, and have stayed at other hotels, and this is by far the best in terms of location, convenience, cleanliness, and price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilovetotravel2000
Alabama
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have not stayed at this hotel, but am anticipating doing so in October of this year. I've read the reviews about this hotel - some good, some bad. One person said that it looked like it had been recently renovated and so i decided to contact the hotel directly. They said it has recently been renovated last month (April 2009) and so everything is pretty much new.

For those of you who may be skeptical about staying here, this is practically a brand new hotel.

The only downside I see is there is no shuttle to and from the airport and you'd have to take a taxi.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank qteejackson
Virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I recently stayed at the Best Western Jamaica hotel. I was alarmed by some of the bad reviews but I have stayed at Best Western hotels while traveling in Europe and in the US and have generally had a good experience. This hotel looks like it has been recently renovated and was very clean! It is close to the airport (took me about 10 minutes from JFK by cab) and is right off the highway. It is close to the subway (the F Line I think) which goes straight to Manhattan without any transfers. There are a lot of mom and pop restaurants nearby and a supermarket as well. The area feels safe (it's off Queens Blvd which seems to be a major road in Queens). The rooms were spacious by NYC standards! I've lived in a hotel in Manhattan before and vowed never to do it again! You can get a large room in Manhattan but you end up paying so much more!
Free breakfast and free wifi was included as well as free parking, all great luxuries in New York city!
You get more than what you pay for at this hotel (considering that I just paid more than $300 at a hotel in Manhattan recently and they didn't even include breakfast or free wifi - such a ripoff!) If you are budget minded (specially in these times) then this is a great place. I'll certainly look at staying here again next time I'm in NYC. They have a little gym in the basement where you can get a little workout in as well. It's not a big gym by any means but has a couple of basic exercise tools.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Altamonte Springs, FL
Reviewed 2 September 2008

The first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was the smell....seriuosly it smelled like urine and it didn't go away the whole time we were there. Everyone in the room smelled it, it was pretty nauseating at times. Also the room was tiny. We had four people in it and we were extremely cramped for space. We literally had to crawl on the beds to get around each other. The continental breakfast was ok. The waffle maker was a nice touch but a few more hot items would have been nice. The proximity to the subway was a big plus. It's maybe a five minute walk down a main road so even late at night we felt safe. I'd POSSIBLY stay there again but definitely not in a room with 3 other people and hopefully in a better smelling room as well.

• Liked — Proximity to Subway
  • Disliked — Terrible smelling and small room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
MN
Reviewed 27 March 2008

New York city, like Paris, has so many hotels to choose from, it can be a daunting experience for the traveler. I heard about this place from a friend who had stayed there previously. He recommended it because it was close enough to Manhattan (a short subway ride away on the "F" train) and reasonably priced for the city.
My own personal experience is as follows:
Pros:
1) Close to the airport and to Manhattan - a short cab ride away or you can take the AirTrain to the Jamaica terminal and take the "E" train to Van Wyck Expressway stop. Cabs are preferred if you have bags in hand. I travel light so I can choose either. The subway station is 5 minutes away and you can take the "F" train to Manhattan (about 30-40 minutes). The "E" sometimes stopped at the subway stop too and you can take that train to Manhattan as well. I figured it out on the last day - the "E" usually stopped there on weekends and at nights, the "F" stops there all the time.
2) Nice, quiet residential neighborhood off the highway. It's not Central Park but there are grocery stores, and mom and pop delis and restaurants that are reasonably priced! There is even a McDonalds nearby! The hotel is off the Van Wyck Expressway, so it's easy to find.
3) The hotel staff is very courteous and tries to help out! I'm not sure what bad interactions the reviewers below had, but I didn't have a single bad experience. The staff does work in shifts so I'm not sure of all the employess - everyone I met during my 4 day stay was very pleasant!
4) Clean room. I travel a lot and a clean room is extremely important to me. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for a stay at the Ritz so I try and stay at affordable places. I usually just sleep in the room so I don't care to spend too much money on the room. That way I can splurge on a good meal or theater or a good bar! I do require comfortable beds and a decent bathroom. This room was reasonably priced and had all your basic amenities. I slept quite well and had a clean bathroom - so no complaints!
5) Breakfast was free but very basic. It was satisfactory though. I've paid a lot more for worse!

Cons:
1) It is still a short subway ride away from Manhattan. If you're the type who wants to live in Times Square, then this place is not for you!
2) The internet terminal in the lobby is really slow! But if you have your own laptop (as I always carry) they have free wifi!

• Liked — Reasonable price, decent sized rooms for New York!
  • Disliked — Subways needed to Manhattan
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackmdmn
Grass Valley
Reviewed 19 March 2008

The service at this hotel was great. All the front desk staff were great and friendly. They checked our bags happily and were surprised when we tipped. As far as value, it saved us about 300 a night compared to staying in Manhattan. To get to the city you just need to walk across the street about 5 minutes to catch the "E" train into Manhattan. It takes about 20 minutes to get there. The neighborhood was plenty safe. The rooms were clean and had plenty of room to move around. The money you save on the room can be better spent in the city.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Cabs to the airport are not regulated, about 30 bucks for a few miles.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business