I spent 2 nights at this hotel during a recent visit to the NY area and I was quite disappointed on several things and the hotel didn't make any effort to correct the issues:
1) Check-in took well over an hour, even for a Priority Club Platinum member - never in my life have I experienced such a long wait. When I arrived at the hotel, there was a long line of people that already lined up past the front door. While I was waiting, I kept noticing the shuttle dropping off more and more people - enough that the line was well into the parking lot and wrapped around the building! I then realized everyone was holding a voucher and found out American Airline had a disrupted flight and sent a lot of passengers to this hotel. I tried to use the Platinum check-in line but was declined. What's the point of that line if they don't plan to honor it. I feel sorry for the disrupted airlines passengers but none of them have plan but to wait at the hotel for their new flight - why should that disrupt other guest that have nothing to do with the flight disruption, especially elite guests that are loyal to the chain that should be able to use the priority line under this exact circumstance.
2) Restaurant service is below horrible - I tried to get some food through room service but no one would answer the phone. A visit to the restaurant show no wait staff but a group of customers waiting for the food vouchers from the airline.
3) In-room amenity is so extremely scarce - It's clearly evident the hotel is very very cheap in a distasteful manner. I booked a room with two beds for a total of 2 people. Yet, they only have 1 pack of single-serve coffee that's good enough for one cup. Instead of leaving at least 2 bars of soap, 1 at the sink and 1 at the bath tub, like most Holiday Inn, this hotel only put out 1 tiny soap bar...for a room that is supposed to allow up to 5 people. Even if the 5 people are willing to share the soap, it's not big enough to last 5 people... I called the front desk for 1 more coffee pack and 1 more soap, but no one ever came up...
4) Traps that are called elevators - 2 extremely slow elevators that are programmed with crazy logic. I would entered at the lobby for elevator that goes up, I then hit 6th floor. Instead of going to 6th, the elevate goes to the cellar, then clears my request for 6th. I request 6th again, the elevate than returns to the lobby floor and clears my request for 6th again. It seems that the elevator will only go up, if there is no pending call from the cellar (basement) floor or lobby floor. The elevators are also insanely unreliable. During my 2 day stay, I got trapped in the elevator 4 times while on the way down from the 6th floor. The elevator would suddenly stop with no warning. I would have to resort hitting the open/clock door button many times until the whatever fault condition is cleared.
5) RFID door key would keep losing programming, which caused repeated needs to go to the lobby to get both keys re-keyed... And yes, that's why I hate the crazy elevator even more. The staff was no apologetic at all and ask if I "de-magnetize" the key. Are you kidding? This is a RFID key, not the old kind with a magnetic strip, so it cannot be "de-magnetized". Even it could be done, why would I do that to cause more headaches for myself?!
6) Very small rooms - this is new build hotel, so maximize room count was the priority. The rooms are very small such that I can't even pull out the desk chair without hitting the bed. Bathroom is even smaller - vanity counter space is virtually non-existent.
Anyways, this hotel has a lot of weaknesses and the only reason for the extra star is the fact they offered me a choice for points or drink, for my Platinum status and they did post the points as promised, without having to call. But other than that, this place is truly bad enough to deserve a 1-star or no-star.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area Jamaica