“Poor service and cheap to the bone”

Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent 2 nights at this hotel during a recent visit to the NY area and I was quite disappointed on several things and the hotel didn't make any effort to correct the issues:

1) Check-in took well over an hour, even for a Priority Club Platinum member - never in my life have I experienced such a long wait. When I arrived at the hotel, there was a long line of people that already lined up past the front door. While I was waiting, I kept noticing the shuttle dropping off more and more people - enough that the line was well into the parking lot and wrapped around the building! I then realized everyone was holding a voucher and found out American Airline had a disrupted flight and sent a lot of passengers to this hotel. I tried to use the Platinum check-in line but was declined. What's the point of that line if they don't plan to honor it. I feel sorry for the disrupted airlines passengers but none of them have plan but to wait at the hotel for their new flight - why should that disrupt other guest that have nothing to do with the flight disruption, especially elite guests that are loyal to the chain that should be able to use the priority line under this exact circumstance.

2) Restaurant service is below horrible - I tried to get some food through room service but no one would answer the phone. A visit to the restaurant show no wait staff but a group of customers waiting for the food vouchers from the airline.

3) In-room amenity is so extremely scarce - It's clearly evident the hotel is very very cheap in a distasteful manner. I booked a room with two beds for a total of 2 people. Yet, they only have 1 pack of single-serve coffee that's good enough for one cup. Instead of leaving at least 2 bars of soap, 1 at the sink and 1 at the bath tub, like most Holiday Inn, this hotel only put out 1 tiny soap bar...for a room that is supposed to allow up to 5 people. Even if the 5 people are willing to share the soap, it's not big enough to last 5 people... I called the front desk for 1 more coffee pack and 1 more soap, but no one ever came up...

4) Traps that are called elevators - 2 extremely slow elevators that are programmed with crazy logic. I would entered at the lobby for elevator that goes up, I then hit 6th floor. Instead of going to 6th, the elevate goes to the cellar, then clears my request for 6th. I request 6th again, the elevate than returns to the lobby floor and clears my request for 6th again. It seems that the elevator will only go up, if there is no pending call from the cellar (basement) floor or lobby floor. The elevators are also insanely unreliable. During my 2 day stay, I got trapped in the elevator 4 times while on the way down from the 6th floor. The elevator would suddenly stop with no warning. I would have to resort hitting the open/clock door button many times until the whatever fault condition is cleared.

5) RFID door key would keep losing programming, which caused repeated needs to go to the lobby to get both keys re-keyed... And yes, that's why I hate the crazy elevator even more. The staff was no apologetic at all and ask if I "de-magnetize" the key. Are you kidding? This is a RFID key, not the old kind with a magnetic strip, so it cannot be "de-magnetized". Even it could be done, why would I do that to cause more headaches for myself?!

6) Very small rooms - this is new build hotel, so maximize room count was the priority. The rooms are very small such that I can't even pull out the desk chair without hitting the bed. Bathroom is even smaller - vanity counter space is virtually non-existent.

Anyways, this hotel has a lot of weaknesses and the only reason for the extra star is the fact they offered me a choice for points or drink, for my Platinum status and they did post the points as promised, without having to call. But other than that, this place is truly bad enough to deserve a 1-star or no-star.

Room Tip: I don't think they exist...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank knowmyhotels
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear knowmyhotels,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the policies of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 July 2014

If we were doing an overnight at JFK we would return to this hotel.
The area around the hotel is not one which you need to visit. There is a breaker's yard next to the hotel and the walk to shops and restaurants described on the website requires negotiating a pavement covered in four to five feet high weeds. The restaurants are a Popeye, a Burger King and IHOP and an Applebees.
It is possible to use this hotel as a base, but it isn't a question of taking the shuttle into the airport and then getting onto the train into Manhatten. You first have to use the Airtrain and that cost $5 per person per journey. The Metro season ticket is cheap and good value, but is less so when, for a couple, you add on $20 per day for the Skytrain. There are also two Jamaica stations, neither is in a particularly desirable area and only one has the Skytrain.
You do not need to phone the hotel about the shuttle as it will eventually turn up at the Federal Circle.
The prices in the hotel restaurant are not exhorbitant for New York and the portions of what we ate were good. The bar prices were also pretty standard for New York and they do have local a local microbrew.
All the staff we engaged with were friendly and efficient.
The room was spotless.
There are no room safes at all despite what it says in the hotel guide. The security boxes behind the reception desk are very narrow and rather shallow.
The pricing for JFK/New York is good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GC22014
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

We would like to thank you for allowing us an opportunity to provide you with your lodging needs while you were in New York City.

We would also like to thank you for providing us with some feedback about your recent stay.

I was happy to hear that you were ale to take advantage of one of the many options to get into Midtown Manhattan.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Shuttle picks you up at Federal Circle, quick check-in process, nice clean rooms. Not sure if Restaurant/Bar is part of Hotel ownership or separate, but pass if you can. Foods not bad, but room is cold & service is horrible. We left early to get breakfast at airport rather than at hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

was sorry to hear that we could not meet your expectations in the restaurant. I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage Team so that they can make corrections to ensure you will not experience this again on a future visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Taxi drivers hard to locate this place because of poor gps locator
It's like you go to other side of hotel
Great shuttle drivers but you need more shuttle and proper planning for customers specially u have lots of clients going to the city or airtrain transpot
One day there were 20 big luggages for 5 clients check out and no shuttle enough to accommodate everyone
Great bed and clean
More water bottle, better complimentary bottle in room
Ok front desk
Edward,Natasha are great, front desk...very patient
Maggie was ok
Mr. Louis is great
Good and affordable place to stay
What is with the breakfast dining people? They are grumpy and Unclean tables.
Better breakfast selection

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

On behalf of all Employees of the Holiday Inn Hotel at JFK Airport, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit in New York City. We realize there are many hotels to choose from and appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback about your stay. We will use your feedback to help us improve the levels of service we provide all our guest in the future.

Because we are a new building, some GPS devices are not able to locate our address yet.

I will share your comments with Margie, Natasha, Edward and the Dining Room Staff.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Near JFK, hotel provides 24 hours complimentary shuttle. Just stayed here one night to catch a flight in the morning. I don't believe, there is much to do around the area. Manhattan is around 18-20 miles. The cheapest way to get to Manhattan is to go to the airport taking the hotel shuttle. Take Air-Train to Jamaica, and from there subway E train to NYC.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shujaul B

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel JFK Airport. We are so glad to hear your stay was enjoyable and you found the staff friendly and helpful. I hope a had the chance to enjoy the City during your visit.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Pleasant night staff, dealt very well with many tired and cranky guests whose flights were cancelled. Up to date property, beds slept great, not noisy at all, very pleasant stay. The waitress in the restaurant ran her butt off, she was so busy but still got the job done. Free shuttle between hotel and jfk. The staff was great to call us a taxi at 4am for our new flight out of lga.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I will share your kinds words with our Staff. I'm glad we were able to get you to LaGuardia for your continued travels.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My sister and I are born and bred New Yorkers but have moved to other states and decided to go visit. The house where we were raised was sold last year. Although we have family there, we decided to stay in a hotel instead. This hotel was not too far from JFK airport and has a free shuttle to & from the hotel. This location has been open for about a year and it still smells new. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a decent size and even though it's close to the airport, was very quiet. I would definitely stay there again. There is a restaurant / bar at the hotel although there is no continental breakfast. The food was good but the service was slow because they did not have enough servers. Overall, good place to stay, It's not close to any attractions and you'd either need to take the shuttle, cab it, or rent a car (not advisable unless you know where you're going!)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dahlia G

Thank you for sharing your valued feedback. I was sorry to hear of your unexpected flight cancellation, but was happy to hear we made it a bit better for you.

We hope to see you again in the future.