“an ok hotel, if you have no option”

Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 30 July 2014

there is nothing special about this hotel. we stayed here on a stop over, the hotel is a bit far from the airport so if you have to take a taxi, (we had many bags and a very tired 2 yrs.) be prepared to pay a bit. the room we had (a king size) was ok, relatively new, but no curtain so difficult to sleep especially in the summer when the sun rises early. also we were over the main entrance so the green light was coming to our room. the bar was horrid. very loud, the bar tenders were actually encouraging people to be loud, which was very unpleasant. we had to buy milk for the baby, ($4) and 4 pieces of toast with avocado came to $8. shuttle was also a nightmare, we had to leave at 7am, but there are so many people going to the airport and its first come, first servce (shuttle leaves every 30m minutes, whether it is rush hour or not) it is highly unlikely that we will stay here again

Room Tip: if you need a taxi make sure the driver knows where he is going. don't face the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Jack J,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a very perfect choice. Location was spot on and the Wi-Fi works excellent. Check inn went smoothly and reception was at all times very friendly and helpful. Linen fresh and clean. Bathroom is small , but we left in the morning and only came back in the evenings .Housekeeping however was not up to standard. One morning we spilled coffee all over the tray and although our room was cleaned this was left just the way we left it the morning when we returned in the evening. We used the bathroom rope and in all the other hotels I have stayed in worldwide housekeeping hang it back into the cupboard. This housekeeping just left it where we put it on the chair everyday . Breakfast was not included in our package , but we tried it one morning. Disaster: We ordered the continental which included croissants and my daughter explained to the lady that she really wants her egg well done, no runny yellow. When we received the food her egg looked like soup. The egg all runny and brown toast. No croissant as were on the menu. Must however say that when we complained the lady in charge immediately apologise and offered us a free breakfast the following morning.We stayed on the 20th floor right under the rooftopbar and we experienced no noice.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor Empire state building view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

We would like to thank you for allowing us an opportunity to provide you with your lodging needs while you were in New York City.

We would also like to thank you for providing us with some feedback about your recent stay.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stay for 10 hours, just after arrival from ultra long haul flight from Bali via KUL and HKG. Took a hotel shuttle from Federal Circle at JFK airport. It is around 10 minutes from JFK. It is a new property. Staying on 2nd floor. New room and modern, enough space, plenty of towels.

It is very difficult to operate the TV remote control. I do not have time to learn how to use it. End up having 1 local channel TV for the duration of 10 hours.

It is a fine hotel and recommended, for pre and post NYC trip and using JFK airport.

The remark are for the front desk people, who are willing to help. Make sure you have to ask.

It is said breakfast is only on a la cart, but I do not take it as I have leave to Manhattan early morning.

Bath tub is useful to help recover the jet leg btw.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel JFK Airport. We are so glad to hear your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel is almost new, so it's pretty decent. Does it live up to other comparable Holiday inns - not really, but it's not the worst either. Especially if you're just staying a night before catching a flight, it's okay.

One thing is alpha and omega when booking airport-hotels; The shuttleservice. And here this hotel really failed big time. We arrived at night and called them as instructed from the hotel manager. We waited aprox. 10 minutes and the shuttle arrived, which was okay. It was a small shuttle with only 7 seats, but my girlfriend and I was second in line and were the those who had waited the longest time. There was a lot of bags, so while my girlfriend stood in line for the shuttle, I helped the driver with bags. When we returned to pick up more bags from the side of the shuttle, a couple jumped the line and the man physically pushed my girlfriend out of the shuttle and she almost fell backwards on the ground. She yelled at them, but they just took our places in the shuttle. The driver saw everything but did nothing about it - now the shuttle was full, so he just said that there was going to be a shuttle later. I

was shocked that a hotel can be so indifferent about their guests. Worst first impression ever. If we didn't have a prepaid booking, I would have skipped this hotel and chosen another one. I wrote the hotel manager to tell him about this episode, but here two weeks after, I still haven't heard from him.

After this episode I didn't feel safe at the hotel, since the staff obviously doesn't care about their guests security, and that's a big issue when the hotel is located in a sketchy neighborhood in the middle of a nowhere next to a junkyard. I'm never coming back, and I will definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anders B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear AndersBruhn,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent 2 nights at this hotel during a recent visit to the NY area and I was quite disappointed on several things and the hotel didn't make any effort to correct the issues:

1) Check-in took well over an hour, even for a Priority Club Platinum member - never in my life have I experienced such a long wait. When I arrived at the hotel, there was a long line of people that already lined up past the front door. While I was waiting, I kept noticing the shuttle dropping off more and more people - enough that the line was well into the parking lot and wrapped around the building! I then realized everyone was holding a voucher and found out American Airline had a disrupted flight and sent a lot of passengers to this hotel. I tried to use the Platinum check-in line but was declined. What's the point of that line if they don't plan to honor it. I feel sorry for the disrupted airlines passengers but none of them have plan but to wait at the hotel for their new flight - why should that disrupt other guest that have nothing to do with the flight disruption, especially elite guests that are loyal to the chain that should be able to use the priority line under this exact circumstance.

2) Restaurant service is below horrible - I tried to get some food through room service but no one would answer the phone. A visit to the restaurant show no wait staff but a group of customers waiting for the food vouchers from the airline.

3) In-room amenity is so extremely scarce - It's clearly evident the hotel is very very cheap in a distasteful manner. I booked a room with two beds for a total of 2 people. Yet, they only have 1 pack of single-serve coffee that's good enough for one cup. Instead of leaving at least 2 bars of soap, 1 at the sink and 1 at the bath tub, like most Holiday Inn, this hotel only put out 1 tiny soap bar...for a room that is supposed to allow up to 5 people. Even if the 5 people are willing to share the soap, it's not big enough to last 5 people... I called the front desk for 1 more coffee pack and 1 more soap, but no one ever came up...

4) Traps that are called elevators - 2 extremely slow elevators that are programmed with crazy logic. I would entered at the lobby for elevator that goes up, I then hit 6th floor. Instead of going to 6th, the elevate goes to the cellar, then clears my request for 6th. I request 6th again, the elevate than returns to the lobby floor and clears my request for 6th again. It seems that the elevator will only go up, if there is no pending call from the cellar (basement) floor or lobby floor. The elevators are also insanely unreliable. During my 2 day stay, I got trapped in the elevator 4 times while on the way down from the 6th floor. The elevator would suddenly stop with no warning. I would have to resort hitting the open/clock door button many times until the whatever fault condition is cleared.

5) RFID door key would keep losing programming, which caused repeated needs to go to the lobby to get both keys re-keyed... And yes, that's why I hate the crazy elevator even more. The staff was no apologetic at all and ask if I "de-magnetize" the key. Are you kidding? This is a RFID key, not the old kind with a magnetic strip, so it cannot be "de-magnetized". Even it could be done, why would I do that to cause more headaches for myself?!

6) Very small rooms - this is new build hotel, so maximize room count was the priority. The rooms are very small such that I can't even pull out the desk chair without hitting the bed. Bathroom is even smaller - vanity counter space is virtually non-existent.

Anyways, this hotel has a lot of weaknesses and the only reason for the extra star is the fact they offered me a choice for points or drink, for my Platinum status and they did post the points as promised, without having to call. But other than that, this place is truly bad enough to deserve a 1-star or no-star.

Room Tip: I don't think they exist...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank knowmyhotels
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear knowmyhotels,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the policies of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 10 July 2014

If we were doing an overnight at JFK we would return to this hotel.
The area around the hotel is not one which you need to visit. There is a breaker's yard next to the hotel and the walk to shops and restaurants described on the website requires negotiating a pavement covered in four to five feet high weeds. The restaurants are a Popeye, a Burger King and IHOP and an Applebees.
It is possible to use this hotel as a base, but it isn't a question of taking the shuttle into the airport and then getting onto the train into Manhatten. You first have to use the Airtrain and that cost $5 per person per journey. The Metro season ticket is cheap and good value, but is less so when, for a couple, you add on $20 per day for the Skytrain. There are also two Jamaica stations, neither is in a particularly desirable area and only one has the Skytrain.
You do not need to phone the hotel about the shuttle as it will eventually turn up at the Federal Circle.
The prices in the hotel restaurant are not exhorbitant for New York and the portions of what we ate were good. The bar prices were also pretty standard for New York and they do have local a local microbrew.
All the staff we engaged with were friendly and efficient.
The room was spotless.
There are no room safes at all despite what it says in the hotel guide. The security boxes behind the reception desk are very narrow and rather shallow.
The pricing for JFK/New York is good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GC22014

I was happy to hear that you were ale to take advantage of one of the many options to get into Midtown Manhattan.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Shuttle picks you up at Federal Circle, quick check-in process, nice clean rooms. Not sure if Restaurant/Bar is part of Hotel ownership or separate, but pass if you can. Foods not bad, but room is cold & service is horrible. We left early to get breakfast at airport rather than at hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

was sorry to hear that we could not meet your expectations in the restaurant. I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage Team so that they can make corrections to ensure you will not experience this again on a future visit.