“Comfortable Hotel but Awful Surroundings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area

Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Brisbane, Australia
“Comfortable Hotel but Awful Surroundings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a difficult hotel to rate. The hotel shuttle bus arrived at JFK Federal Circle as it is supposed to with only a 20 minute wait. The hotel is about 15mins from the airport and is quite new. Checking was quick, friendly and efficient. My room, while small, was modern with a great bed and huge television. I had a front facing room with a view of a small river but faces the afternoon sun so the room was quite warm. Despite comments from other reviewers I found the air conditioning to work very well. The hotel bar and restaurant was fine with friendly staff, probably a bit expensive but there is really nothing else around. You can walk to a dreadful strip mall, about 10 mins away and eat at Applebee's or Pizza Hut. I found the hotel quiet - yes, you can hear and see the aircraft landing but it isn't too noisy at all and I actually enjoyed watching the aircraft come in to land.

The problem with the hotel is the awful location. To the rear of the hotel are disused factories, to the left is an eight lane highway, to the right a cement recycling plant and in front there is desolate land leading to the river. There is a once quaint fishing village nearby but hardly worth a visit. So, in short, once you arrive, you are here for the duration of the stay. There is no where to walk or jog although the hotel was a very basic gym.

On reflection I probably should have travelled into Manhattan while in transit. The hotel staff were great, room comfortable and shuttle bus fine. But the location is really tragic. JFK really does not have airport hotels of the quality you find in many other cities.

Room Tip: A high room might have a better view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear MarkLaurence,

Thank you for leaving a review of our property. I am pleased to hear you appreciated the room accommodations received and efforts of our hotel staff. However, I am sorry to read that you did not find our hotel in a convenient location for your needs. The team will be informed of your experience and disappointment. I truly value your comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG. Once again, many thanks for posting your comments.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

A very comfortable and reasonably priced airport hotel. Slept very well in the comfortable bed and there was little noise from outside, even though the room looked on to a busy main road. The bathroom was very small but clean and perfectly adequate. The restaurant served an excellent dinner and breakfast for a reasonable price, although note that it does not offer a breakfast buffet. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Although a free shuttle bus between the hotel and JFK is provided, this only runs every half hour. This was not a problem when going to the airport but did mean we had to wait a long time to be collected from Federal Circle, and by the time the bus arrived there were so many hotel guests waiting that there was only room for some of them and the rest had to wait for the next bus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louis G, General Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We would like to thank you for allowing us an opportunity to provide you with your lodging needs while you were in New York City.

We would also like to thank you for providing us with some feedback about your recent stay.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a great hotel for business and our company has booked quite a number of room nights for various staff, including one that stayed several weeks. I'd have given a 5 rating, but it's not easy to access the subway or LIRR from here. The answer to that is to take the hotel shuttle to JFK (10 minutes) then take the SkyTrain ($5.00) to Jamaica Station (LIRR and E and F trains). The staff at this hotel is exceptional. The restaurant, while a bit pricey, offers great service and good food. The hotel is less than a year old. The area around it isn't much to speak of but if you just need a reasonably priced, safe and clean place near JFK, this is it.

Room Tip: Stay on the back side of the hotel to avoid the bright afternoon sun on the entrance side.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your valued feedback and for choosing the Holiday Inn Hotel JFK Airport. I hope to WOW you during your next visit so that we can get that 5.

Thank you again and we hope to se you again in the future.

Louis Gonzalez
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here during Hurricane Sandy while I was displaced from my residence. I had stayed at another hotel the night before but since availability was scarce I was forced to hop from hotel to hotel on a nightly basis.

The hotel advised me that night that FEMA workers would need the room and that I would need to vacate the premises the next day. This stay was being paid for myself in hope that FEMA would later reimburse me. This was not on the original "approved" list of hotels, my alternative was to go to a homeless shelter. All relatives were without power and/or heat.

Upon arrival at my next hotel, my credit card company calls me and advises me that strangely I'm being billed for a stay at my current hotel and for a stay at the Holiday Inn. It turns out that the Holiday Inn put down that I booked for the next night and that I was a "no show". I called the manager and disputed this, reminding them that THEY asked ME to leave but the manager upheld his assertion that I booked two nights and left unannounced.

I think it's deplorable that people would prey upon others during a time of crisis. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Andrew V,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Queens.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Jamaica hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Their front staff is quite friendly and helpful, they treat you as a guest and not just a number. The room we got was right at the buildings air conditioner so the view and noise were not very nice. Breakfast was sruprisingly diverse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear mary b,

Thank you for your candid review. It is nice to know you found our staff friendly and helpful. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We are sorry your stay was negatively affected by the noise challenges you experienced. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you would give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Again, thank you for your time and for staying with us.

Connie D
Hawalli, Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

quick shuttle from the airport but don't get confused with Holiday Inn express shuttle... Close to the airport. Quick check in. Clean room and a small modern bathroom. Very good for a one night sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Jenan2000,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear you found our location convenient and appreciate your positive feedback regarding the rooms. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that you would consider us again on your next travel.

Connie D
Syracuse, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

there is nothing special about this hotel. we stayed here on a stop over, the hotel is a bit far from the airport so if you have to take a taxi, (we had many bags and a very tired 2 yrs.) be prepared to pay a bit. the room we had (a king size) was ok, relatively new, but no curtain so difficult to sleep especially in the summer when the sun rises early. also we were over the main entrance so the green light was coming to our room. the bar was horrid. very loud, the bar tenders were actually encouraging people to be loud, which was very unpleasant. we had to buy milk for the baby, ($4) and 4 pieces of toast with avocado came to $8. shuttle was also a nightmare, we had to leave at 7am, but there are so many people going to the airport and its first come, first servce (shuttle leaves every 30m minutes, whether it is rush hour or not) it is highly unlikely that we will stay here again

Room Tip: if you need a taxi make sure the driver knows where he is going. don't face the courtyard
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New York JFK Airport Area, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Jack J,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A