“Good place to rest”

Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the night and were impressed with the service and staff. Food was yummy and staff were friendly and polite. Room was clean and had lots of lovely spa toiletries that were complimentary. Bed was excellent with lovely pillows (and I'm fussy with pillows).
Highly recommend for an overnighter near the airport. Would come again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CrowneJFK, General Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I will share with the team. I'm glad you had the opportunity to use the sleepless advantage bath amenities and also to taste the food in the restaurant. We constantly train our staff to make a difference in the guest experience and empower them to make decisions. Please let me know if I could assist in any way regarding future travels to our hotel. You may contact me at agm@cpjfkairport.com.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We arrived at JFK airport at 2:00 am because our flight was delayed. We saw many hotel shuttle buses, but I did not see Crowne Plaza's bus. After waiting for 20 minutes I finally called the hotel to ask for a shuttle. The lobby was quite small, and the check-in staff was...odd. Our room rate did not include breakfast so I asked him how much a breakfast is. He said "about 18 dollars". I said "What do you mean by about? Is the breakfast buffet or not?" He responded "I'm not sure..." Really odd. The room is modern and well appointed and features two comfortable queen beds. I find the complimentary bottled water quite useful. The bathroom is a little small, though. When we checked out the other day, we requested a taxicab to Manhattan. The hotel staff told me it would be 55 dollars, but the driver wanted to charge me 63 dollars. However, eventually the drive agreed on paying 55 dollars. The overall experience is great, but my suggestion is that if your flight arrives at JFK later then midnight, you are better off booking a cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your stay. I apologize for the staff not providing clear accurate responses to your questions. Our restaurant provides breakfast buffet as well as menu options. The breakfast buffet is $18.00 inclusive. We have reservation packages which include breakfast if you are interested for future travels. The packages are based on availability. We do have 2 shuttles running during the overnight, since we provide complimentary 24hr service. When you arrive to Federal Circle and the shuttle is not waiting for guests, then you must give us a call for a pick up. Our shuttles could be in route to terminals with guests or possibly left Federal Circle with guests in route to hotel. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and please feel free to contact me if you require assistance in future travels. You may contact me at agm@cpjfkairport.com.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Where to start? Hmmmm. We arrived late into JFK to go back out early AM. So we didn't have much bum scratching time. The 2-bedroom family room I booked online didn't exist. Apparently it is a glitch in the IHG booking system that they know about, but couldn't be bothered to tell us about until we arrived at the desk at 10PM with 3 small children. It gets better. They had no other adjoining rooms, so we either had to split into two family groups or all sleep in one small room. Wait, there's more. They spent 45 minutes working this out. So now its 1045PM with 3 small children. Oh yes, and when we got on the bus at 5AM to go back to the airport, it turned out that two other families of five had booked the same non-existent room, and all had to split up, because no adjoining rooms. So bad, I couldn't even make this up.

Front desk staff about as much use as a custard watch. One guy behind us in the queue insisted that the manager be brought back to the hotel from wherever he was hanging out. Good luck with that. Are you still waiting?

I assume that IHG don't care about the reviews because of the vague monopoly effect around JFK. I spoke with a number of aircrew waiting in the foyer to check in, or out, or just die of sheer incompetence, and they said they hate staying there, but the airline insists.

Apart from that, it was OK.

Room Tip: Don't stay there. Or take a huge dose of Zoloft.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank GrumpyOldTroll

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Unfortunately, the two room suite was not available and I'm hoping the front desk did offer service compensation for the inconvenience. I understand how splitting up a family would not be convenient and in some cases not an option. Please contact me at agm@cpjfkairport.com, so I may look up your reservation and retrieve more details. Again, my apologies on behalf of the hotel staff.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife stay at the Crown Plaza JFK for two nights for a friends wedding in Queens. I've had bad experiences with Crown Plaza in the past so I was not happy when I found out they were blocking off rooms at this hotel. Our experience this time was a good one, very clean, upgraded rooms, and very attentive staff. When we checked in our air conditioning
was not working well and someone came to the room within 5 min to fix it. The value was great, it was over $50 a night cheaper than the three hotels that are next door to it. Overall it was a great experience and we would def stay their again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank wagner15
CrowneJFK, General Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad your stay was a positive experience compare to other hotels in the past. We are a new modern hotel and new kid on the block, so we want to make sure our guests remember us when travelling in the NYC area. We try to always inspect the devices in the guest rooms before updating the status as "ready" for our guests. I apologize for the air conditioner not working when you checked into the room. Hope you had a amazing time at the wedding and again thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I am a Platinum Ambassador with the IHG and I stay in many hotels throughout the World; for me this is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

This is definitely a hotel to avoid at all costs.

Despite leaving a Do Not Disturb sign the cleaners knocked on my door and tried to enter my room 3 times.

The standard response to any complaints is to offer a free US News paper!

Room Tip: If you are forced to stay in this hotel avoid the 100 series rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Leggy92
CrowneJFK, General Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the inconveniences caused to you. We always try our best to accommodate our IHG members on the upper floors, but unfortunately sometimes due to occupancy we might only have the low floor guest rooms available. If possible I would like to get your information, so I may look up what day and time your reservation was booked. It is possible that the hotel was at high occupancy during your booking if same day reservation confirmation. Some of the rooms on the first floor are slight smaller, but still offer same amenities as the other rooms, which include a refrigerator, iron, ironing board, coffee maker, etc. I will also rely the comments concerning housekeeping. The staff members are definitely not supposed to knock on the guest doors with a Do Not Disturb sign. I will make sure we advise all housekeeping staff again during the next few morning meetings. Please contact me agm@cpjfkairport.com so I could look up your reservation and hopefully offer you something to show we are sorry for the mistake. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have to start by saying that this hotel is most likely now my hotel of choice in the area. I don't particularly think any of the hotels in the area are as good as other airport properties in the USA but this is a nice hotel. Fresh, renovated, clean and excellent staff. Again I find myself in a situation where the friendliness of the staff and their can do attitude really made a lasting impression and is behind this review. They were all ready to help with a smile on their face. My only complaint about the hotel is noise. Not the jets and traffic nearby, but rather the housekeepers who were cleaning the room next door to mine, at 3am. Two in the hallway talking, one in the room working, a security guard standing in the hall chatting, the noise they were creating wasn't necessary and I think rather inconsiderate. I will definitely go back but make sure I pack some pyjamas so that I can walk out into the hallway and join the conversation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
CrowneJFK, General Manager at Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay. I'm glad we have become your #1 hotel choice in this area and hope you stay on your top list. We work hard to welcome our guests and make everyone feel special. Unfortunately, my housekeeping team and security will need a reminder to be extra attentive and quiet when on the guest floors. I apologize for the disturbance and ensure you I will rely the message to the team. If possible, I would like to retrieve more information regarding your reservation. Could you please email me, so I may look up your reservation. My email address is agm@cpjfkairport.com

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this hotel and had to cancel my reservation one day before because of illness. The rate was non-refundable nor non-exchangeable and I knew this at booking time. But after a few days, and without asking anything, I got a refund. This is what I call customer service. Unfortunately I can't review other aspects of this hotel, but I think this shows the hotel cares about its customers, and this is a good thing and needs to be shared.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing the comments with us. We appreciate the guests comments and definitely love to share with the team. When we are able to resell the reservation and happy to waive cancellation fees. We understand situations that occurred to the guests regarding illness, family emergencies, flight cancellations, etc. Please keep us in mind for future travels and we will assist with reservations.