All reviews air train new york jamaica queens free breakfast bagels subway nyc jfk archer airport flight convenience connection
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was December, I had planned a trip to New York with my family and I had no idea about the place where I could land. Fortunately, there is a Hotel that call "Howard Johnson Inn Queens JFK AirTrain." It was a perfect week for us, the location is ideal to move to New York. The quality of service is excelente, the staff are extraordinary kindness. If it is again, I go back without thinking.
Excelent hotel, very competent staff, strategic place to visit New York and also very convenient to take the shuttle to JFK Airport.
Do not hesitate to book this hotel.
Djamel Belamri.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Djamel B
Reviewed 30 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is perfect midpoint between JFK and Manhattan.
The rooms are nice and clean and the staff very good.
The time to Manhattan by LIRR is 20 minutes to Penn station but the prices are way below the Manhattan hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had booked some decent to luxury accommodation in NYC but a sudden need to arrive one day earlier brought me to this hotel for an additional night. I thought I could stay at JFK after a long flight from Beijing so I chose this one, as it is grouped by bookins.com as an airport hotel but this is misleading as is the name "Near Airtrain". After waiting for the shuttle bus I learn that it is not near JFK and I had to make my own way. The location in a inconvenient corner of a rundown neighborhood where connection to town maybe worse than from JFK. I had hope for an early check-in but no good: the reception said housekeeping staff started at 11am to clean room first, but I noticed next day that someone already started at 9am. The room is adequate though everything not really working until I summoned help. The choice completely defied my purpose though I am glad that I stayed only one night. The good things are a big TV and free internet, in-room tea and breakfast (self-served paper plate nothingness, though better than nothing). I am most unhappy that I was misled to believe that this is a JFK hotel with shuttle etc. If you think it should be very cheap you are wring. I paid some $150 enough for a night at a Radisson or Crowne Plaza at JFK proper......I agree completely with one other reviewer and can't understand why it is highly rated......

Room Tip: All rooms are similar
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked a night at this hotel based on the high reviews I read. I am mystified. Here are the good and the bad:

The Good:

- within walking distance of the Jamaica Station Airtrain, $5/per person to take the AirTrain each way from JFK
- the staff that greeted us and checked us in were friendly and courteous
- the hotel and amenities appear to be new-ish
- in-room refrigerator, coffee maker and ironing board

The Bad:
- I specifically reserved a non-smoking room (and at check-in we were told that we would be charged if we smoked in the room); however, the room REEKED of stale cigarette smoke. NASTY. As we were walking out of the lobby after seeing our room, my husband mentioned the smell to the gentlemen at the front desk and he just looked at us blankly. We left it at that and stayed in a stinky (noisy) room.
- Our room was steps from the front lobby. At 8:30 PM they vacuumed the lobby with the LOUDEST vacuum ever and it sounded as though we were being invaded by Air. At 4:30 AM they decided to start playing music in the lobby and, you guessed it, we heard it. It was extremely noisy all night long.
- Although the hotel appears to be newer and the furnishings are in good order, it does not appear that the room is well cleaned. The bathroom mirror had toothpaste spatter from a previous guest, the edges of the carpet were not clean and there was a general sense dirtiness about the room that made me feel icky.
- the neighborhood...yes, it is within walking distance of the station, but it's not a neighborhood you would want to be walking in. There was litter all over the street and groups of idle men loitering on the street as we walked by.

I picked this place for the price and convenience because we arrived in the evening from JFK and were flying out in the morning. I based my choice on the great reviews I read on TripAdvisor. This is the first time that TripAdvisor has let me down. You have been warned.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple