“Convenient, but service glitches”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Jamaica
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Convenient, but service glitches”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed here several times the night before a flight. It works-convenient via shuttle. This time we stayed 2 nights. They were unable to make change in dollars at the front desk. And they didn't have a copy of The New York (Sunday) Times available--at the store, in the lobby, outside, anywhere. The Daily News, yes. International guests coming to NY want the Times, not a tabloid. Seems like a basic request/expectation for a guest to come to NY and want the New York Times. Nothing says Sunday in New York like the Sunday Times. After several follow-up phone calls, and emails, and a several hour wait, they finally sent a bus driver to a store to pick one up. Good customer service shouldn't have to require all that effort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DrDaveMaui
Kevin W, General Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dr. Dave,
I received your voice message and appreciate the time taken to share your experience.
I'll be sure to have the Gift Shop add the New York Times to their daily delivery...certainly a good suggestion. Although, we offer complimentary copies of the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, having a local Sunday paper is certainly a good idea.
Again, thank you for the suggestion and your dedicated loyality to the Hilton family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I always stay here the night before our flight. Great staff and good restaurant. Room is always clean and a decent size. Only a mile & 1/2 from airport. Large parking lot, they charge $18 per night but can be talked down if your planning a trip more then a few nights.They have a reliable shuttle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank gforce70
Larry,
Thank you for the return visit and sharing your comments.
I'm pleased to know we exceeded your expectations once again and made your stay a memorable one.
Hope to see you back and all the best for a fantastic Summer!!!
Droitwich
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

People were great here but the meal was below average and we had to send back the hot pot, though the staff did offer to replace with another meal for free. Air con was noisy in the room and we had brown water in the sink though the engineers sorted that out. Could hear noises from other rooms though everything was quiet after midnight. Convenient location for the airport, comfy beds and good shower.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the hotel and apologize for not meeting your dining expectations.
Your issues have been adressed and sorry for the brief brown water that was caused by the utility crews flushing the exterior fire hydrants.
Hope you had a safe trip home and looking forward to your return visit.
Mevaseret Zion, Israel
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice now, both times for the main reason that it is so close to the airport at JFK New York. I think it is set up for this purpose, and as such, it maybe feels it has fulfilled the need and doesn't need to try too hard to be superlative. As we only eat kosher I can't speak for the dining facilities or the bar, so I am only speaking for the accommodation. This is a 3 star hotel, and was the third 3 star hotel we had stayed in during our 2 week stay in the US. (We're British). We had a suite on the 8th floor. It was quiet, clean and comfortable, but certain things struck me, which I think I should mention; not that I think it will matter as much to other people as it did to us.

I think my main gripe with this hotel was the fact that this was the first hotel we had stayed in during our trip, that charged for Wi-Fi in the bedroom. But OK, I was told it would be $7.95 for 24 hours, so I thought "not so bad". But, when I logged on with my laptop and tried to register and pay, I realized it was not quite what it seemed, because it was not a blanket $7.95, but $7.95 PER DEVICE. That meant that if I paid for access for my laptop, we wouldn't be able to use the Wi-Fi for my husband's laptop, or our cell phones, or a tablet, not without paying $7.95 for each device. I feel that is a rip-off, sorry to be so blunt but that's how it struck me.

The other things were more minor. No bathtub, only a shower. I happen to like luxuriating in a tub; especially after a long day's driving; I'm not a major fan of showers, but as it was only for one night, it wasn't the end of the world. As we only eat kosher, we rely on suites having some kind of kitchenette that we can use for our own food, but this one just had a tiny corner with a coffee maker and a mini fridge, no microwave or decent sized fridge, and no table or chairs. But again, it was only one night so not a major problem, but I wouldn't have liked to stay there any longer, that's all I'm saying.

Good things: we were helped up to our suite with our luggage; not every 3 star hotel has this service. The shuttle service to the airport was punctual and excellent. By mistake I had retained one of the two car keys for our rental car, but the front desk guy was very helpful and promised to drop it back to Herz for me.

So, pluses and minuses. For a last night stay before flying home early the following day, I doubt it could be bettered for location. But even one night's stay could be made more pleasant, and the issue with the Wi-Fi was small-minded and I think the hotel could well afford to offer what every other hotel of its standard offers.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ruthie P
Ruthie,
Thank you for returning and sharing your experience.
I appreciate the fine comments and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences. Your feedback is certainly invaluable to me and my Team in finding opportunities for future improvement. Just an fyi, on your next visit you may want to reserve a double queen bedded room since they all have modern bathtubs, european showers are in all the king bedded rooms.
I hope you had a safe journey home and again, my genuine "thank you" for your return visit to the Hilton JFK.
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great place to stay. Staff is so accommodating . Anything you need they get it for you. Rooms are very clean and fresh. Best place to stay in JFK . Best part about staying here is the bartender Dana. I have stayed in many Hilton's and alway eat at the bar. Dana is one of a kind. She really remembers you, what you like and treats you like family. She makes every customer feel important and special. She is a true "gem".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Libbe C
Kevin W, General Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Libbe,
I'm pleased we exceeded your expectations and one of my dedicated Team Members made your visit memorable. Dana certainly does a fine job at making all guest feel at home.
Hopefully you'll keep us in mind on your next visit to New York.
Again, my sincere 'thank you".
Batavia, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at the Hilton on Saturday the 21st, there was a mix up with our flight and we needed a room for the night. It was late and the airline didn't help us find a room. I went on hotels.com and booked the room. When my mother, 2 year old son and I got to the hotel we were exhausted and couldn't wait to get some sleep. We tried to check in and.....the hotel was overbooked and they have NO rooms available. At that point it was about 11pm and we had been up close to 24 hours with the time change. I don't understand how or why u can book rooms online when there are clearly none available...someone should really look into that. So they called every other hotel to try to find us a room. Still none available. She went as far as looking in New Jersey and still no rooms available! They turned away at least 5 other people who all seemed to have booked rooms as well while we were standing at the counter alone. From what I understand 2 large flights were cancelled and they had some sort of convention so it was a busy time. All and all she ended up finding a way to get us a room in the Hilton and we got a room a while later. The room was clean, nice and the beds were comfortable. The hotel looked clean from the little we saw and other than the problem with overbooking we would definitely recommend the hotel. Oneka was the woman at the desk, she was a huge help and we would have spent the night...all 3 of us...in chairs in the airport if it hadn't been for her so thank you again Oneka! You made one very very tired little boy get a good nights sleep :)

Room Tip: Make sure its not overbooked....before you get there
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Diane W
Diane,
Traveling is never easy, however, I'm pleased it had a happy ending.
I'll besure to recognize Oneka for her outstanding service and share your story with the Hilton JFK Team. I hope you had a safe journey home and all the best for a glorious Summer.
Again, "thank you"!!!
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I were deployed with a non-profit, disaster assistance organization during SS Sandy and this hotel donated a block of rooms for our staff. We were completely amazed by such a hotel taking us in and were treated by all like high paying VIPs!!! From the daily greeting and assistance/information provided right at the front door, to the business center and computers, to the gift shop and restaurant, to the counter-room-housekeeping...all our needs were anticipated and met by all. Even shuttling, transferring, local travel, and parking were made easy and accessible. When we had problems sleeping next to the elevator after volunteering outdoors in terrible weather for 15 hours per day, we were relocated to a quieter area. This hotel was a shining example of how to operate at the top of the ladder! Though we actually stayed here for four weeks in December 2012 and January 2013...I really thought they deserved kudos after the fact.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tammy O
Tammy,
Wow, my genuine "thank you" for sharing your experience.
Nothing pleases me more than knowing my Team exceeded your expectations and made your stay a memorable one. Although Huricane Sandy will still have it's effects in the tri-state area for years to come, please except my personal "thank you" for your assistance and support during a troubled time.
All the best for a safe and beautiful Summer!!!