“Home away from home”

Hilton New York JFK
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Jamaica
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I was a guest at the JFK Hilton for nearly 100 nights this year. Being awayu from home so much is hard, and the Hilton and staff took the sting out of it. I always got a friendly hello from the front desk staff, and all other staff, no matter where in the hotel.

Two very different views are available. To the south is the vast expanse of JFK Airport in all its interesting glory. To the north you can view the daily rhythm of the Ozone Park neighborhood, and most if not all of Jamaica. Nearby Baisley Pond Park provides a lovely respite for a stroll or run.

The location is highly convenient if coming from or going to the airport.

The executive lounge is an easy way to begin and end the day. I only wish the happy hour adult beverage options were on par with their Hilton brethren around the world.

The bar and restaurant offer good service with a smile, and the food is quite good.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Kent B
Kevin W, General Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Kent,
Thank you for your valued loyality and sharing your 100 days experience.
I'm pleased to know we exceeded your expectations and made your stay a warm / memorable one.
Hopefully we'll see you back in the future and all the best for a great Summer!!!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

As others have said, this local is a great location for flying out of JFK due to its proximity to the airport. I stayed for one night and it had some pluses but some pretty major negatives as well.
Starting with the good - room was very well appointed. Bed was comfortable and had a good desk as well as a couch for relaxing/watching the TV (46" with decent channel selection). The bathroom was ice, and although it was just a shower, it was a very nice, large stone shower (I am not a tub person so this was nice for me). Check-in was easy and quick, and being a Gold member I received a room on the 11th floor with access to the executive lounge on the 12th floor (which I thought was a plus, but see below). The staff was friendly and receptive as well.
Now on to the bad. First, we dropped off the rental car we had and requested the shuttle pick us up in the rental car area. The shuttle took almost 40 minutes to get us, and the hotel is 5 minutes away. The AM shuttle to the airport was much quicker, and it was full.
The "executive lounge" was a joke. Unlike other Hilton's were they have a full bar and great selection of cocktails and wine/beer, this had 3 lousy beer choices and 2 awful wines, and the appetizers were not good. On top of that, it supposedly opened at 6am, but when we went up at 6:15 to get coffee and breakfast, nothing was made, food or coffee. What a waste.
We had dinner in the restaurant, and it was just OK. We opted for a lighter meal of just a couple of appetizers and none made me say "wow", especially for the price ($12-15 each for apps)
Lastly, and worst, was the noise level in the room. As others have said, the A/C was VERY LOUD, and would kick on and off every 20-30 minutes, and woke me up no less than 6 times during the night. In addition, the room I had was directly below the "executive lounge" and we could hear every footstep until in closed the night before, and then all the moving furniture at 5:15 AM (I am guessing the cleaning crew). Thankfully we were on the city side, because I could tell the airport side of the hotel would be even louder (although maybe the planes would be drowned out by the A/C).

Although the room was nice, considering the negatives I probably wouldn't stay here next time I need a hotel around JFK.

Room Tip: Ask for the city side, make sure you avoid rooms below the executive lounge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matt C

Matt,
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I appreciate the positive comments and welcome the feedback which is certainly invaluable to the success of the hotel. My apology for any inconveniences you encounter during your stay. My Engineering Team is in the process of adressing the HVAC motor speed, however, with or without the noise the hotel is 100% noise-free from the airport.
Hopefully you'll allow us another opportunity to be your "home away from home" .
Again, my genuine apology and "thank you" for your loyality.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed here several times the night before a flight. It works-convenient via shuttle. This time we stayed 2 nights. They were unable to make change in dollars at the front desk. And they didn't have a copy of The New York (Sunday) Times available--at the store, in the lobby, outside, anywhere. The Daily News, yes. International guests coming to NY want the Times, not a tabloid. Seems like a basic request/expectation for a guest to come to NY and want the New York Times. Nothing says Sunday in New York like the Sunday Times. After several follow-up phone calls, and emails, and a several hour wait, they finally sent a bus driver to a store to pick one up. Good customer service shouldn't have to require all that effort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DrDaveMaui
Kevin W, General Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dr. Dave,
I received your voice message and appreciate the time taken to share your experience.
I'll be sure to have the Gift Shop add the New York Times to their daily delivery...certainly a good suggestion. Although, we offer complimentary copies of the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, having a local Sunday paper is certainly a good idea.
Again, thank you for the suggestion and your dedicated loyality to the Hilton family.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I always stay here the night before our flight. Great staff and good restaurant. Room is always clean and a decent size. Only a mile & 1/2 from airport. Large parking lot, they charge $18 per night but can be talked down if your planning a trip more then a few nights.They have a reliable shuttle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank gforce70

Larry,
Thank you for the return visit and sharing your comments.
I'm pleased to know we exceeded your expectations once again and made your stay a memorable one.
Hope to see you back and all the best for a fantastic Summer!!!

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

People were great here but the meal was below average and we had to send back the hot pot, though the staff did offer to replace with another meal for free. Air con was noisy in the room and we had brown water in the sink though the engineers sorted that out. Could hear noises from other rooms though everything was quiet after midnight. Convenient location for the airport, comfy beds and good shower.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the hotel and apologize for not meeting your dining expectations.
Your issues have been adressed and sorry for the brief brown water that was caused by the utility crews flushing the exterior fire hydrants.
Hope you had a safe trip home and looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice now, both times for the main reason that it is so close to the airport at JFK New York. I think it is set up for this purpose, and as such, it maybe feels it has fulfilled the need and doesn't need to try too hard to be superlative. As we only eat kosher I can't speak for the dining facilities or the bar, so I am only speaking for the accommodation. This is a 3 star hotel, and was the third 3 star hotel we had stayed in during our 2 week stay in the US. (We're British). We had a suite on the 8th floor. It was quiet, clean and comfortable, but certain things struck me, which I think I should mention; not that I think it will matter as much to other people as it did to us.

I think my main gripe with this hotel was the fact that this was the first hotel we had stayed in during our trip, that charged for Wi-Fi in the bedroom. But OK, I was told it would be $7.95 for 24 hours, so I thought "not so bad". But, when I logged on with my laptop and tried to register and pay, I realized it was not quite what it seemed, because it was not a blanket $7.95, but $7.95 PER DEVICE. That meant that if I paid for access for my laptop, we wouldn't be able to use the Wi-Fi for my husband's laptop, or our cell phones, or a tablet, not without paying $7.95 for each device. I feel that is a rip-off, sorry to be so blunt but that's how it struck me.

The other things were more minor. No bathtub, only a shower. I happen to like luxuriating in a tub; especially after a long day's driving; I'm not a major fan of showers, but as it was only for one night, it wasn't the end of the world. As we only eat kosher, we rely on suites having some kind of kitchenette that we can use for our own food, but this one just had a tiny corner with a coffee maker and a mini fridge, no microwave or decent sized fridge, and no table or chairs. But again, it was only one night so not a major problem, but I wouldn't have liked to stay there any longer, that's all I'm saying.

Good things: we were helped up to our suite with our luggage; not every 3 star hotel has this service. The shuttle service to the airport was punctual and excellent. By mistake I had retained one of the two car keys for our rental car, but the front desk guy was very helpful and promised to drop it back to Herz for me.

So, pluses and minuses. For a last night stay before flying home early the following day, I doubt it could be bettered for location. But even one night's stay could be made more pleasant, and the issue with the Wi-Fi was small-minded and I think the hotel could well afford to offer what every other hotel of its standard offers.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruthie P

Ruthie,
Thank you for returning and sharing your experience.
I appreciate the fine comments and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences. Your feedback is certainly invaluable to me and my Team in finding opportunities for future improvement. Just an fyi, on your next visit you may want to reserve a double queen bedded room since they all have modern bathtubs, european showers are in all the king bedded rooms.
I hope you had a safe journey home and again, my genuine "thank you" for your return visit to the Hilton JFK.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great place to stay. Staff is so accommodating . Anything you need they get it for you. Rooms are very clean and fresh. Best place to stay in JFK . Best part about staying here is the bartender Dana. I have stayed in many Hilton's and alway eat at the bar. Dana is one of a kind. She really remembers you, what you like and treats you like family. She makes every customer feel important and special. She is a true "gem".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Libbe C
Kevin W, General Manager at Hilton New York JFK, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Libbe,
I'm pleased we exceeded your expectations and one of my dedicated Team Members made your visit memorable. Dana certainly does a fine job at making all guest feel at home.
Hopefully you'll keep us in mind on your next visit to New York.
Again, my sincere 'thank you".