“Very good food.Outstanding atmophere”

Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Jamesport B&B and Inns
Manorville, New York
“Very good food.Outstanding atmophere”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The only reservation about this fine restaurant is the choice of beers.The only beer
offered was a canned odd beer from Colorado.There were ales in botlles .Canned domestic beer is less than you would expect from a restaurant that offered a tasting menu (for 2) at $257 with tax and tip and no drinks.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank reisman18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
LONG ISLAND
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Food was un believable! Staff felt like family! And the place is beautiful. The staff really takes pride in there work at this inn. I will being goin back every year and I only live a half hour away from it!!!! Note: not the right place for children. Hubby and I did a couples night.

Room Tip: We stayed in the rose room and it was great!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waylonsbaby
New York
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here for a get away day & evening on two occasions. It pairs one of the best dining establishments on Long Island with a enticing B&B experience. Meals are excellent. Located in the North Fork wine area. Perfect to do the winery excursion and then stay the night.

Room Tip: Any 2nd floor room is good. Check their website photos for your preferred choice.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbarryan
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I travel all the time and have seen/stayed in some of the leading hotels in the world. So, it usually takes a lot to impress me when it comes to service and experience...

Jedediah Hawkin Inn and its restaurant, Luce + Hawkin, restored my faith in the American Inn experience this past weekend. We had a wonderful time from the minute we set down out bags until we were packed away in our car (Long Island pumpkin in hand, Keith Luce gave it to us as a parting gift when I expressed an interest in his delicious roasted pumpkin seeds that were sprinkled on my steel-cut oatmeal at breakfast... Totally unnecessary but totally appreciated, of course!!!).

Sarah, Keith and the entire staff at this establishment were amazing. The rooms were amazing (and I think we had the 'worst' one as it was right over the bar. This was no problem, the bar was small and they provided a white noise machine just in case we had trouble sleeping -- we didn't). The decor and ambiance of the house -- wonderful.

The food. Oh my. The food. Not since eating at Viajanta in East London before my husband and I moved back to the US have I experienced such amazingly experimental but comforting food all at the same time. Everything we ate there was delicious. We only planned to eat in Luce + Hawkin one night but it was so good on our first night that we immediately booked our second. Well worth it. Do note, however, the wine has 750ml prices but each bottle is only 500ml (it did say this on the menu, we just didn't notice. That would be my only complaint, which is a rarity for me...)

Breakfast in the morning was beyond filling and exciting. I've never had anything quite so interesting at a B&B.

I can't say enough about this place, its staff and the chef/owner. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Avoid the Cocoa room if you are a light sleeper. All the other rooms looked equal size and equally...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 16thcenturyart
Vero Beach
Reviewed 2 September 2011

The appearance of this restaurant is most impressive and the first impression is positive with the well appointed dining areas and the well groomed staff. However, food is the most important aspect of fine dining and this place falls far short of acceptable in this critical aspect! We were certainly upset when we entered the establishment on a Friday and were told there were no tables available except in the downstairs bar area (a cave like area that was downright depressing!). So as we started to exit we were told that they miraculously found a table for us. We proceeded to dine for the next two hours in an empty room! (That sat 40 persons!!) That was disconcerting to say the least. Of course we were told that there were numerous no shows. Really, how stupid are we?
The food is very difficult to describe because the chef tries so hard to be unique and creative that he conjures up recipes that are simply offensive and not at all palatable. The pasta red sauce was not like anything I had ever tasted and it simply had an offensive affect on the taste buds. I let me partner try the dish before I passed judgment just to see her reaction and she was almost offended by the "unique taste".
Another dish sounded interesting but again it missed the mark and was actually inedible, the Whole Blue Fish with sauerkraut and onions. It was "fishy" and mushy with so little seasoning that the oily, sometimes offensive blue fish taste was pronounced and downright ugly.
The menu was filled with dished that sounded creative and one of a kind but every course of which we partook was just not enjoyable.We honestly felt like we were sitting in the "emperor's palace" and no one was simply able to declare the "chef has no talent!"
Overproduction to the point of ridiculous is the only way to describe the menu at this prestigious yet disappointing location.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank theNYSALJ
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our third time staying at JHI .
Fantastic food & great all around feel!!
Can't wait to be back in Sept.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salbucher
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The property is pretty, but the rooms are a little outdated, and a bit drafty. We did eat at the restaurant. The food was ok, but not remarkable. The location is convenient to a few vineyards. I most likely would try a different place next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dragonlady15
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamesport
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Holiday Inn Express East End
Shelter Island House
Shelter Island House
#1 of 5 in Shelter Island

Been to Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!