“My Home Away From Home Away From Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jay
Book & Blanket Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Jay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I would like to say that I truly enjoyed staying here. Fred and Kathy were the most hospitable people that I have met since I have been up here in New York by way of Virginia. I was calling around trying to find a nice bed and breakfast for the weekend and no one else answered there phone or called me back. I was immediately taken by the warmth of Kathy's voice in accepting my last minute reservation. The breakfast was great and they take requests. They accommodated my stay with the utmost pride in what they do. I can honestly say that I will never stay anywhere else but here when I come up to the area to visit. Thank you Fred and Kathy.

Room Tip: Either room is fine. I stayed in the Jane Austen room though
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Imagine a 5-minute walk to one of New York's covered bridges, first built in 1857, extending over rapids on the Ausable river. Rooms that are like a museum. A quiet little town populated with more than its share of artists. We stayed in the Jane Austin room. The bathroom was shared but being the only guests we had the whole second floor, and elegant bathroom, to ourselves. Just be careful of the shades, the kind you pull down and jerk to roll back up. Ours didn't roll back up on their own. A very minor inconvenience. However, if you sleep with the window open you will hear the rushing water at night.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John P
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Inn and Room were Quaint and Cozy~Kathy and Fred were More than Accomodating. Breakfast was Wonderful!! Can't wait to visit again the next time we're in Jay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennifer t
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Staying at the Book and Blanket B&B was a wonderful experience. My husband and I went to the High Peaks region for a weekend of relaxation, hiking, biking, etc. The Book and Blanket was a perfect base spot - it was right near High Peaks trails and activities, yet was outside of Lake Placid (which is a little too busy for our tastes). In addition, the room (Jack London) was very comfortable, had plenty of space, and had all kinds of Jack London books - it was great. Finally, the owners were wonderful - they made a great breakfast (vegetarian for us), were fun to talk to, and gave us great suggestions for trails to hike (Hurricane Mt.), they really made us feel comfortable and welcome. I strongly recommend the Book & Blanket - it is really a steal in terms of what you get for the money paid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RAMW13
Reviewed 15 February 2011

The hosts carefully crafted this Bed and Breakfast not only with the literary theme but in the grace in which they tended to their guests. The time in which they socialized with us was balanced perfectly with our private time. An entire section of their house is reserved for guests--plenty of interesting board games, videos, and the obvious books. This book theme was interwoven into their B & B not only on the shelves which contain a wide variety books but also on their wall paper, garbage cans, bookmarks, mugs, and soaps. The hosts anticipated the needs of their guests. A pad of paper was thoughtfully positioned near the phone with a pen. A plastic bag was in the bathroom, with a label asking the guests to use the bag to take home their open shampoo bottles and soap.
The dining room welcomed us with tea (or coffee), a basket of brochures, local maps, flowers, and chocolates. Breakfast was amazing and plentiful. The hosts set up a table setting for our one-year-old baby, with a baby spoon, cup, and bowl. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. This B & B is a short scenic drive away from Lake Placid. We HIGHLY recommend this to anyone visiting the High Peaks region.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PPierle
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We have been guests here going on 9 consecutive years, and we plan to continue this annual Autumn tradition indefinitely. Kathy and Fred are the ultimate B&B hosts, and Jay is the perfect "power down" from the stresses of modern day life. Their warm hospitality, helpful suggestions and wonderful breakfasts keep us coming back for more.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJB1310
Reviewed 3 September 2009

This is a really cute B&B and I love the literary theme. My sister and I stayed in the Jane Austen Room. There were no other customers during our stay so we had the run of the top floor. The room was adorable, including all things Jane Austen, even a Pride and Prejudice board game! The room was clean and comfortable, especially after hiking all day!

The bathroom down the hall was also spic and span with nice smelling soaps and fresh towels. Breakfast was tasty; cereal, banana bread, muffins, fresh fruit, maple syrup, pancakes. (Some eggs would have been nice.) The owners were very friendly.

If I had to complain about anything it's only that the B&B was next to the road, so you could hear traffic if you happened to wake up at 3 am, like I did. I live on a very quiet street right now so it was a bit loud for me. My sister, on the other hand, slept like a log all night and didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank hubbabubba_11223
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Snow Goose Bed and Breakfast
Snow Goose Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 4 in Keene Valley
Willkommen Hof Bed and Breakfast

Been to Book & Blanket Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!