“worst reception”
Review of Lake Safari Lodge

Lake Safari Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Siavonga
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night in Dec 2013.The lady at the reception treated us quite badly and as we asked for a discount she told us to go to a cheaper place. they do not have any activities in the dam except a boat ride of which to go, you must pay even for the empty seats.The rooms are being renovated and you meet the construction as you are going to your room. She refused to show us all the available rooms claiming some of them we too expensive for us. I will never recommend this place to anyone and i will not be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Miss B K
LakeSafariLodge, Owner at Lake Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Hi Missment K,

We apologize for your miss treatment. Lake Safari Lodge endeavors to make everyone's stay the most pleasant.

Our boat cruise charges are per cruise. I am sorry to hear that your were unhappy with the experience.

We have been doing a lot of renovations lately, this is to keep our standards up and giving our clients the best value for money.

If there is anything I can do please contact me and I will try help.

There are newer reviews for Lake Safari Lodge

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Place correct and relaxing for a week end of leisure out of town.
We were quite satisfied with the location, room quality which made our stay enjoyable
However, environment lacked of warm, which would have made the stay even more enjoyable

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at this hotel for a workshop for about 2 weeks. It was apparent from the time we arrived that there were issues already festering! Rooms were kept unclean and previous water damages to walls for example were not repaired. Let's just say for all the hype I received about this lodge, it was disappointing to see that this lodge was not living up to its standard! To get the rooms as clean as it should be, my colleagues actually had to supervise the cleaning--where is the supervisory lodge staff to do this? Good question! Anywho, I think you get the picture so we move on! The first night we were there, it was good to see that they had a menu from which we could order from. Granted it took a while before food arrived, but that's normal under the circumstances since we were a large group and there were other working groups there attending their conferences. The food was ok--I guess you can't get to imaginative about an omelette. The second and following nights, however, were truly disappointing. I guess because of the sheer numbers, the management decided to go buffet style. Great! If there was a variety of food to eat and it seemed to us that what was served at dinner may have been warmed up and served at lunch! Very little we tasted actually seemed fresh!! And for my colleague who was vegetarian, when we asked if there was anything vegetarian they could cook, their reply was--look here we have vegetables (pointing to two dishes of just vegetables and rice)!!! Really!!! They absolutely refused to make any exceptions, even for my friend's children who had accompanied her! One other example comes to mind- my friend had pleaded for chips for her kid! Simple to make and truly it was only for one child! Of course the answer was no. Another family, may be friends of the owner, arrives and orders what ever they fancy--including chips! And sure enough, they get their chips! My colleague was very distraught at the treatment she had received and complained very bitterly--eventually they made chips for child! Again I say- really!? Is this how you treat your guests? These are only a few examples of issues we encountered! I could certainly go on, but I think you get the picture! So we made our away to other lodges to have dinner--it was great--cheaper for one and with greater variety of great tasting food! The only great thing about the lodge was the view of the lake, which all lodges that neighbor this lodge have! This lodge has great potential to be good--they need to improve on customer service as well as cleanliness! Otherwise, I say I am not a repeat customer!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2013

As weary missionaries we arrived at Lake Safari Lodge in need of a little TLC and down time. The owner and his family treated us with kindness and respect as if we too were part of their family. I hope on our next mission in Siavonga were able to stay there! Ask for a room with a view for sure! Also, I LOVED their breakfast!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband and i stayed for two nights at the lodge. We arrived in the night and wondered if the lodge was as depicted on the website because we could not see much. In the morning we were greeted by the lake,the view is just so amazing, better than the pictures. The hotel staff and management were friendly,we really felt at home. The food is amazing, i forgot about my morning sickness,there was just so much to choose from for all 3 meals. Maybe one small thing to take into consideration offering mosquito nets especially for those who wish to travel with young ones. these need not be a permanent feature of the rooms because they may distort the beauty but they can be installed when guests request for them. Our stay was wonderful,we plan to take our son and some friends this year,simply loved it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mwasepangwa
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Took family here young children and teenagers we all had a ball amazin quality food breakfast to die for ! Everything u can imagine pool is located in great sunshine over lookin th lake shallets are gorjous they did great bbq nyts all u can eat priceS so good fed 8 folk wit beers and wine 50 quid recommenD this place I'd love to go bk paradise is what I call it X

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 18 February 2013

If you get a choice then go for one of rooms number 1 to 8, they overlook the lake, are the shortest walk (40m) to the bar and restaurant and come with all the bells and whistles the owner has to offer - giant TV, large veranda, fancy shower and a big jacuzzi (more on that below). The room took a while to cool down as it is very big and the AC is located over the door however once it had cooled down you could get it quite cold if you wanted to. The room has a fridge but it needs to be turned on when you first arrive. The room did not have a mosquito net but then again it did not have mosquitos either!

The bar is really well stocked and either the owner or the barman has worked out that a red at ambient temperature in France needs to be in the cooler in Siavonga. Quite a good selection of wine and almost every type of spirit you can think of is available. You can sit in the cozy bar with your drink or sit by the pool.

The owner is clearly making sure his kitchen offers something a little different than the usual African buffet and the all you can eat BBQ by the pool really is excellent with choice meats grilled to your order. And all you can eat means all night nibbling if that is what you want.

Although I did not use it, the gym is open and well equipped. Overall my impression is that the owner is up-grading the hotel and the odd quirk you see is probably the next phase of the upgrading. At the time of my visit the floor in part of the restaurant was being replaced.

The hotel offers wifi but this is limited to 25MB, which in practice is all but useless. Guests do however need to be aware that internet access in Zambia is expensive so if you do want to access the internet while in Siavonga I suggest you bring along your own unlocked dongle and buy a 2GB bundle in Lusaka from either MTN, Airtel or Zamtel at around USD 40 for a month.

And finally the Jacuzzi. Please keep in mind that it will take a couple of hours to fill up so if you want to use it plan ahead. I understand the owner is already planning to increase the pressure in the taps but for now it is one of those odd quirks you come across. But be warned, if you turn on the jacuzzi before it reaches the minimum level you are going to have a very wet bathroom!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Itsmorning
Also consider these accommodations in or near Siavonga
Lake Kariba Inns
#2 of 6 in Siavonga
Changa Safari Camp
Changa Safari Camp
#1 of 4 in Lake Kariba

Been to Lake Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!