Eagles Rest
US$210
US$204
Orbitz.com
The Bay Hotel(Siavonga)
Kanyemba Lodge(Lower Zambezi National Park)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsself cateringlake karibabar areasunset cruiseplace to stayswimming poolwi ficooked breakfastnice weekendgreat tripbring your ownthree nightsgreat campingfish and chipsthe managersfamily holidaybream
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We arrived late having driven from livingstone ( 7.5 hours for anyone thinking of doing it) we were racing to beat darkness and just managed it- bouncing down the rutted gravel approach road at 6.30pm. Reception was closed but the guard called the South African owner who showed us to a lake front bungalow and told us we could register later after we'd had a cold beer- he could obviously read our minds!

The bungalow was nicely decorated , a few bumps and scrapes on the paintwork but clean and comfy . The insect screens and mosquito net were intact. There was A/C and a fan but with the windows open there was a breeze so we needed neither. the shower room was stone clad and the shower worked well.There was a brai area on the patio facing the lake and each cottage was very private .

We'd read in lonely planet that there was a branch of a well known Lusaka restaurant (Chit Chat) on the premises but this franchise seemed to have closed and the restaurant now seemed a little soul less with a very limited menu of about 5 items. The lakeside bar was a better bet with more atmosphere, a few people chatting , music playing plus ' beware of crocodile and hippo signs'- my sort of bar!

They also did a small bar meal menu so we ate there- what we had was basic but tasty.(its too far to walk anywhere else and the road isnt great to drive at night)

When we visited eagle rest it was very quiet- I believe we were the only guests but I would recommend it as a good option at lake kariba. To entice guests to stay longer than a night though they should look at putting more effort into the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Eagles R, Owner at Eagles Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Hi,
Thank you for your review.
We are glad you liked Eagles Rest, we have taken note of the point about the Restaurant and we will defiantly look into doing something about it.
The road we are in negotiations with Government to have it re surfaced and it is in the pipeline but a bit slow going.
We hope you will come back and visit soon to a new and better restaurant service.
Thanks Again
Eagles

Reviewed 17 October 2012

This would be an amazing place to stay for a self catering weekend for friends/family. I was visiting family in Zambia who took me to Kariba for a flying visit, but the chalets have everything you need to cook for yourselves for a great trip away. We actually ate in the basic restaurant for breakfast and dinner but it is not necessary if you are well prepared. I loved it here, the staff were very welcoming and there was lots of available activities that I can't comment on as I didn't have enough time to experience them. The food was good, but not amazing. Just wished I'd had more time here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jackieRichmond
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I used to reside in siavonga and would always frequent Eagles rest with my family. We even had my sister's sweet 16 th birthday there in April 1997! Have had great boozers when watching sports especially Rugby! Can't fault the place from my experiences there!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Joe140178
Eagles R, Owner at Eagles Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Hi

Thanks for your review, so good to hear from Old friends and New.

Maybe see you soon for a Holiday.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Three stars is averaging full points for location with views from the rooms, a nicely situated bar on the beach against no points for any level of hospitality. Minus points for attention to detail such as the bottle caps and other grime in the swimming pool, the pile of poo outside the room and the garbage right in front of the bar on the beach. I think a degree of pride in maintaining the place better and being friendly to your guests is missing. I am not sure where the attitude comes from, but it is not the usual friendly but inattentive service one often gets in Zambia. The staff was actually OK, it's the managers who seemed to have contempt for us as guests. The rooms themselves were neither here nor there, usual plumbing issues, but spacious enough. I liked the stone floors and showers. The foam mattress for a bed, I found bearable, but my wife said it hurt her back. They had a swing set on the beach and some toys in the bar although it was unclear if those were for anyone to use or for the managers' child (based on the reaction when my 1.5 year old wanted to play with them). In summary, I would recommend the place if you want to keep to yourselves anyway and have your own BBQ with your own drinks, if you don't mind a little poo and garbage around; you can wake up to a nice view, have a decent breakfast and leave. Otherwise, you might consider one of the other places.

Room Tip: I think single, double, triple may all be the same rooms but that is a reference to occupancy. Our room had a double bed and then a summer camp style bunk bed. i dont know if they would put three adults there and change them for a triple? Be sure to be clear about what you are getting.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ice-cha
Eagles R, Owner at Eagles Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry you had problems during your stay.
We will address the issues that you have brought up, please let me assure you we take great pride in Eagles Rest and it's reputation and every effort is made to ensure your stay is enjoyable.
I will look into the rubbish issues as these area's are cleaned every day.
We hope if you are in Siavonga again you will re-visit Eagles Rest and give us another chance to make your stay a pleasurable one.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

me and my boyfriend booked a chalet for 3 days, 2 nights.
The chalet was very clean, and rather new, especially the big shower.
The view we had from inside the chalet was as well amazing.
The food was fast and good,
the bar was fully stocked and they had nice chairs.
We mostly just bought some things to drink on our terrace with our chalet.
The employees were very friendly with us.
I would certainly recommend it to everyone!
But to get in siavonga is very difficult. Without transport i think the only
good option is to get a taxi from Lusaka. Otherwise you'll have to be in a
minibus for 4 hours or something.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissPin004

Thank you for your review.
We hope to see you again soon.