“If you have the $$$ stay someplace else esp. if your female!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Roof Inn Binghamton - Johnson City

Red Roof Inn Binghamton - Johnson City
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Johnson City
Albany, ny
“If you have the $$$ stay someplace else esp. if your female!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn this past weekend since I was in town for family business. Let me just say, that as a female, traveling alone, this is the LAST place I would stay knowing what I know now. First of all, the doors to the rooms are outside. I feel much better with an inside room door as it affords me another layer of protection. Secondly, the doors and the windows are on the same wall, which face the walk, so you have to keep the curtains drawn even during the day because people are walking buy. Lastly, after I stayed there, my cousin, who lives in town, informs me there have been several drug busts there, probably due to the convenient location and the price! It's also in a busy section,across from the mall, but at the top of the hill, only thing being across from it is a cemetery.

The towels are one step above burlap. The bathroom, one of the split kind with the sink outside and the toilet and tub inside, is so small, I mean SO SMALL, one literally has to stand in the tub or on top of the toilet to close the door. It was also noisy - I could hear people someplace kind of partying until midnight, when I fell asleep, and the when the person next door took a shower at 3:30 am. there was a gentle roar in my room until the water shut off.

The PROS are it was clean, and they have a microwave and fridge, and a nice work area. One could argue the price is good, but you get what you pay for.

There are lots of other hotels in the area - you could also cross the river into VESTAL and stay over there.
So my advice, particularly if your female, is to stay someplace else!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank marci23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

Having to stay in the Triple Cities area for a couple of days this hotel was fine. The lobby area was clean, well lit and modern the desk staff pleasant and helpful. My King room had a comfortable bed and the room was clean but smelled a bit musty as do many hotels of this caliber. Still there were more pluses than minuses. The room had a mini refridgerator and a decent desk area with free intenet service which came in handy for me. Although the bathroom was small it was adequate. My only complaint was that despite the fact that my room was non smoking I was woken up to the smell of cigarette smoke coming through the vents at 3am from someone smoking in another room. Needless to say to a non smoker this is just plain gross. Nevertheless for business you can't beat the price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

We just came back from staying at the Red Roof, the hotel from the outside does not look nice, but....once you are inside your room, you will see they completely renovated the interior. The rooms are very clean, the price was $59/night for a king size bed. The location is great, about a 5 minute drive from Binghamton University. I will definitely book here again for our next visit to Bing. We usually stay closer to the University, on Vestal Hwy,(and pay much more $$$ for the convience of staying closer) but everything was booked for the move in, so we opted for the Red Roof. I am glad we did!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Hotel was clean, staff was helpful and courteous. Nice landscaping. Room was basic but everything worked, offered no amenities like coffee maker in room, continental breakfast in a.m. but there was good coffee in the lobby. Large indoor shopping mall across the street. Lots of places to eat, most within walking distance. Rooms were quiet. Dislike: Wi-Fi was available but not free in all rooms. There was a charge to use Wi-Fi in most rooms through T-Mobile.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

After a 5 day trip to NYC my daugher and I came here for her to attend a volleyball camp at BU. She stayed in the dorms and I stayed here.

First off let me say that we travel alot for volleyball. We've stayed at some upscale city hotels, some extended stay hotels, and some middle of the road places. The Red Roof Inn by far has the friendliest, most helpful staff that I have encountered in quite some time! When I checked in the two ladies at the desk were more than happy to talk about things to do during my stay...especially the Spiedie Fest (which sadly I missed)! Every morning (when I went to the lobby for coffee) I was greated with smile and kind word. Janice was there most mornings and was always willing to take the time to give me directions to other places of interest.

The room was clean and honestly, I didn't find it any smaller than a tower room at the Marriott. There aren't many amenities in the room, but I asked for a blow dryer and iron w/board and they were brought to my room within seconds! There was a microwave and refridgerator in the room, at no extra charge (very nice when on a tight budget).

Frankly, the only "issue" I had was there were alot of construction workers staying there as well and most of them smoked. I had a first floor room and for 2 days they might as well have been in my room the smell was so bad...but that is through no fault of the hotel!

For a woman travelling alone or a family with small children, this hotel is just perfect. I felt safe...

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Flushing, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

I took my daughter to university and stay one night at this hotel. The property is very will maintained. For a motel style establishment I found the external light at night to be great. Very bright and safe. The staff was friendly and the first desk was efficient in getting me to my room as fast as they could. The rooms are smallish especially the bathroom but very clean. The TV services are a good combination of free and fee service. Bed was comfortable. I could have used an extra pillow. and someone had a dog in a room close by. The barking was annoying. even with that I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

Got a great internet rate ($60) and had a very clean & comfortable room. Was back through the area 2 nights later and stayed again. They first put me in a "non-smoking" room that reeked (and didn't compare to the one I had stayed in 2 nights previously) so I went back to the front desk and they put me in a much better room. Quality of the rooms varies significantly - so don't be afraid to ask to change rooms - front desk folks are very good. I had great rooms in the building that houses the office (northern of the two buildings). Easy access off Rt 17 (and those traveling 88 and 81) although more signage would help. Very safe area, nearby mall and food. Good shower pressure! Much better than the $100/night or $39/night hotels nearby.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
#4 of 13 in Binghamton
Grand Royale Hotel
Grand Royale Hotel
#9 of 13 in Binghamton

Been to Red Roof Inn Binghamton - Johnson City? Share your experiences!