“2 visits reviewed here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Mussoorie, India
“2 visits reviewed here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I know I could have made two reviews as they were two visits but it seemed a little much as they were both take out and there was just a single entree each time, soooooo.....not trying to work the system and boost my reviews because the food is what is important.

I have spent the last two nights in the Wilson Memorial Hospital with my wife who had to have her gall bladder removed. And when I asked a nurse about places to eat she mentioned a pizza shop, not my cup of tea and the less glutton I eat the better. And a McDonalds, yack!! And then she mentioned a Vietnamese restaurant that was not far but she didn't know the name, but it wasn't far and while it was the third right not the second I zeroed in on it.

The main road isa little rough, the backroads even more so, but not in a "oh my god I may die here" kind of way, but more of a run down shabby kind of way. They are working on the old 1920s era theater across the way and there is hopes to bring the fine arts to the area and it looks to be slowly happening.

So its nondescript from the outside but its clean and obviously well cared for on the inside. A bit of a contrast to the surrounding neighborhood.

The two ladies behind the counter were very friendly and warm.

I stood in the front and ordered a Shrimp and Chicken Vermicelli ($11.95) with a Summer Roll ($2.25) appetizer, and she said it would be about 5 minutes. Which seemed unlikely but I should have timed it as it came out very quickly.

The Summer Roll had the springy wrapping the one would expect and a nice crunch lettuce and cucumber on the inside. The shrimp was not really noticeable but the flavor and texture was nice but it wasn't a stand out but was like most all other summer rolls I have had, which isn't a bad thing as most are very good.

The Chicken and Shrimp Vermicelli, which I asked to be spicy was not so spicy but I also know many places get concerned about over spicing. The shrimps were large and there were a few of them which was nice to see. The chicken too was plentiful but its usually not where they tend to scrimp. It had a nice flavor but was a little subtle for what I think of with Vietnamese and the serving was of a size that I wish was a little larger, I felt it was a little pricey but the quality was excellent, so its a small quibble.

The next day I attempted to go there with my daughter for lunch. Sadly I found out that they hours were 4-9 pm. Seems a terrible shame.

The next night I went back. Ordered the Grilled Chicken over Broken Rice. ($11.50) This gives me the chance to vent some. Add broccoli or snow peas, its an additional $2. Shrimp is $3, and shredded pork for $2. Really, I think that is excessively priced for the amount of snow peas, shrimp or pork one would get. And I have looked at their Deep Fried Noodles (Birds Nest) but to add any of the sauces its $2. Two dollars, no it isn't a lot but the nests are $13.95 or $14.95 already, and its sauce for crying out loud! Do I get a gallon of it for use later? This is really stupidly excessive for sauce in my humble opinion.

But I digress as you want to hear about what I ate of course.

The Grilled Chicken over Broken Rice had many more subtle flavors than the Vermicelli. The addition of sriracha sauce was a great compliment. I am at the hospital and while I was thinking somewhat about the review I wasn't thinking enough because I can't tell you the flavors of the marinade but the grilled flavor came through and it had two sizable pieces of chicken in it.

The food is high quality so I will not quibble too much about portion sizes but they are on the small side. Its the add ons that I think is more regrettable as I think that is where is excessive.

And if I am in the hospital again I will return, I may even get the birds nest and I will order the over priced sauce gritting my teeth because it just seems wrong.

Undoubtedly I will enjoy it and I will appreciate the ladies who wait on me as well.

Its a winner but a few minor changes would have made it a slam dunk for me.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThaiCookingRocks

Killingworth, Connecticut
“Delicious food, pleasant atmosphere -- very satisfying”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My son and I were in town for a college tour. Being unfamiliar with the area, I logged onto tripadvisor and found Mekong Restaurant. What a great little find. Although nothing to look at from the outside, the inside was cozy, with about a dozen tables, pleasant decor, soft music. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was delicious. For appetizers I had a summer roll, and my son raved about the wonton soup. We both had the charbroiled pork over broken rice (one with snow peas, one with broccoli). Then we shared a deep fried banana with honey and vanilla icecream. Add in fresh lemonade and a soda, and with tax it came to $45. Too bad we don't live nearby -- we would definitely become regulars.

McKinney, Texas
“One of my favorites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Good food and price. Nice people running place. Will always try to go there when in town.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Binghamton, New York
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

We really enjoy Mekong. The food is delicious and the service is fast and friendly. It's our favorite Asian restaurant in the area.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love this family owned place. Their food is always fresh and just right: not heavy, not too light. The people who own...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2008

Love this family owned place. Their food is always fresh and just right: not heavy, not too light. The people who own it are very cool.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook