“The hidden jewel of the Adirondacks”
Review of Dartbrook Lodge

Dartbrook Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Keene B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We stumbled across this beautiful lodge while scouting locations for an Adirondack wedding venue in late 2008. We ended up renting all the cabins for our Wedding party of immediate family and even held our intimate ceremony in front of the fireplace of the Lodge's cozy main room. We've since returned for a weekend to celebrate our 1st anniversary and it felt like coming home. The Lodge is wonderfully renovated with beautiful exposed woodwork throughout each cabin that give it a tasteful romantic camp feel. Each cabin is spotlessly clean and has incredibly furnished from the shop next door. Modern amenities like a hidden flat screen TV/DVD and wireless cable internet are nice to have, especially for technology dependent teens. Cabins include fully functional kitchens, gas fireplaces, comfortable sleep number beds, and one of the nicest slate showers we've ever seen! The Lodge sits on the main road through town but is so amazingly quiet. Not much going on in the Town of Keene but tons of local hiking in the High Peaks and Lake Placid is only 20 mins away. We discussed heading over for an afternoon of shopping but decided to stay in the cabin and watch some classic old films from the main Lodge's collection of DVD's because we enjoyed it so much. If you get to LP, have Dinner at The Interlaken Inn. The Dartbrook Owners, Manager and Staff are so friendly and gracious and make you feel like an old friend. The cafe next door has great food and good coffee, but the waitstaff could be a bit friendlier. Make sure you have good outdoor footwear as the Lodge drive can get a bit wet in late Winter/early Spring. All together, we love this place and plan on returning any chance we get.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Dartbrook Lodge

Reviewed 28 January 2010

The cabins are great. They have been well decorated and have fully equipped kitchens. I decided to stay here after reading the NY Times article. I am glad that I did.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2010

and incredibly comfortable; this has the feel of an Adirondacks lodge. The little cafe down the road has great food and takeout. Management is excellent.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2010

This place was delightful. After having a difficult time finding places that weren't really expensive or sketchy, my girlfriend and I found the NYT article about Dartbrook lodge. We got a little lost getting there but the manager, Beth, was extremely helpful and got us situated even though we arrived much later then originally planned. The cabin was spotless, warm and inviting. The furniture was beautiful and the shower was outrageous (huge slate rain shower with local hand-made soaps). The staff was friendly but not pushy and we were able to enjoy the quiet get-a-way we were looking for. The place is also very eco-conscious.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed at the Dartbrook Lodge with my 11 year old daughter for 2 nights when I went to pick up my son at camp and it was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in Owl's head cottage which is large, very clean, new and perfect for a family (it was much larger than we needed but that was the only cottage available). The decor was rustic and the cabin was in a great location, the last one at the end of the road on the property. There was a big field surrounding the cabin. The owners are wonderful and very accommodating; they gave us great recommendations for hikes in the area. We will definitely be back, but for more than 2 nights.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed for 2 nights this month and loved it! The cabin was meticulously clean and decorated to perfectlon in the Adirondack style. From the gas fireplace, to the well-stocked kitchen, to the really comfortable (adjustable firmness) bed, and the slate shower with a shower head the size of a sunflower (and great soaps), we were so happy with the place. The Cedar Run Bakery/Restaurant next door was really nice too, with good food, service and prices. We took one of their frozen meals back to the room to eat in that night and it was tasty. The waitress said it is very busy in the summer and winter, but that we missed the crowds by being there during the wk and just off season. So, if you're looking for peace, quiet and relaxation (and some good hiking) in a rustic, beautiful setting, then this is a great choice for you!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Although we were only able to stay for one night, our party (my husband and I and my mom) thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful place. We had two cabins that were adjoining (some are single and some are attached as ours). Each was roomy, comfortable and funished with absolutely beautful custom made Adirondack furniture. It was exactly what I would want my own cabin to be like if I was lucky enough to every have an Adirondack camp.

Some features of the room included a sleep number bed, wonderful bathroom, DVD player (they have mostly classic DVDs in the main building), wood stove, and full porch on our unit (my mom's didn't have porch).

The people were friendly, although we didn't see much of them (it's really the kind of a place where you're off enjoying the seclusion). Keene is a nice little town with a few restaurants you can walk to. And next door is a store where the craftspeople who make the furnishings for the camp sell their handiwork - well worth a visit even if you're not in the market. I spent some time happily exploring the store and deciding what I would buy when I win the lottery and get my Adirondackl house!

Highly, highly recommended - one of the nicest places I've ever stayed, and price quite reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
RoosterComb Inn
RoosterComb Inn
#3 of 4 in Keene Valley
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa

Been to Dartbrook Lodge? Share your experiences!