“Memorable experience in the Adirondacks”

Snow Goose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Keene Valley B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Memorable experience in the Adirondacks”
Reviewed 21 October 2008

As a frequent business traveler, my expectations of an overnight stay away from the comfort of my own home is seriously jaded. However, I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at the Snow Goose, where they combine the professionalism and cleanliness that I would expect at a major hotel, with the friendliness and warmth of staying at a close friend's home.

The Snow Goose is a lovely little B&B, strategically located near a variety of tourist attractions, including hiking, skiing and an array of shopping, nightlife, and dining options in Keene Valley and Lake Placid.

My traveling companion and I chose the downstairs room, which features a very cozy bed, a lovely earth toned color scheme, wireless internet, private and secure entrance, and a well equipped kitchen, complete with a mini-fridge, stove, microwave, sink and cooking/dining equipment.

Not that you'll need the cooking equipment while you stay here. The breakfast that Wayne and Amy serve up is seriously gourmet and really hearty. Coupled with a great selection of local dining (I recommend the Great Range in Keene Valley) you're guaranteed to stay well fed during your travels here.

The Snow Goose's owners, Wayne and Amy are a super friendly and accommodating couple. From the moment that I sent Amy an email inquiry, to our last goodbyes, I felt completely welcome and taken care of. I would definitely recommend this experience for anyone staying in the Adirondacks.

• Liked — owners, location, breakfast, cleanliness
  • Disliked — lack of mobile phone reception, somewhat remote
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
penna.
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We found the Snow Goose online and although it didn't have many reviews, because it had just opened, we decided to take a chance. I contacted Amy via email, and she was helpful from the beginning.
This is a nice homey, clean B&B which they are in the process of renovating. What makes this a nice stop, is the family themselves. Wonderful friendly people, willing to give you tips about the area and just making you feel at home.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My boyfriend and I recently made a last-minute decision to go hiking for 2 days in the Adirondacks and were lucky enough to find a room available at the Snow Goose. I should say 2 rooms, as we stayed in both available rooms, Legacies the first night and Passages the second. Our initial contact with the owners by email was good. They got back to us quickly and although they don't take credit cards, they offered to waive the request for a deposit by mail, given the short lead time.
Both rooms were clean, comfortable, quiet and private. We preferred the first-floor Legacies room for its more modern earth-tones decor, kitchenette facilities and extra large walk-in shower. We were able to store the food we brought for hiking lunches in the bar-type refrigerator. In both rooms, the bed linens were tasteful and bath towels soft and thick.
While the weekday Continental breakfast was ample and pleasant, with fruit yogurts, fruit, home-made muffins, organic cereals and choice of beverage, the weekend breakfast was truly delicious. Amy and Wayne served us fresh juice, baked pears, vegetable quiche, turkey sausages, muffins and coffee while we chatted with fellow travellers.
The hosts were in every way friendly, attentive and accommodating. For example, the first morning they agreed to serve breakfast a half-hour earlier to allow us to start early on a long trail. The last day, when Amy realized we were planning to hike and then return home, she astonished us with an offer to let us return for a shower before our drive home. Wayne and Amy are both truly engaged in their business, speaking with passion about the products they use, the local artists they promote and the history of the house. They were happy to provide information about the area such as good restaurants, grocery stores and nearby trails and they listened with interest to our hiking exploits. We look forward to a return visit and can highly recommend their facility to others.

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 23 August 2008

The Snow Goose Bed & Breakfast was a wonderful surprise, the highlight of our week-long vacation in the Adirondacks. The room itself was comfortable and clean and had it's own bathroom, kitchenette and entrance onto the house's large front porch, equipped with hammock and chairs...A hiking trail ran right in back of the house, with a beautiful walk/climb up to a waterfall on one of the peaks. A nearby swimming hole was an added bonus as well. The hostess/owner and her family were very friendly and accommodating, and breakfast was truly delicious. We had a wonderful stay and plan on visiting again.

• Liked — Location, friendly family and great breakfast!
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
brooklyn,ny
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I wanted to hike the trails around Keene Valley on my routine getaway from NYC. I called both Keene Valley Lodge and Trails End B&B but they were booked. No other places in Keene Valley reviewed by Tripadvisor. Google search engine brought Snow Goose B&B and I booked 2 nights. I had no idea what to expect . But I found a gem. It is easy to miss a small sign at the entrance to the property. Unlike most other lodges in the area (located right by the road), the beatiful huge old house is hidden in the canopy. Every little detail in the interior of the house is carefully thought of by the two friendly hosts, Amy and Wayne. For example, an old restored piano, antique furniture accessories in the guests room. My bedroom was very spacious. It had charming fireplace with candles and rustic-style comfortable bed.
Now, breakfasts...Unfortunately I speak no French. If I did I would be obligated to give Amy the greatest compliment a French chef would deserve. Every dish was just art. There was another couple in B&B and we all felt like getting personal attention.
I told Amy that I was suprised the Inn had not been reviewed yet. Amy explained that they opened just a month ago. Last but not least: the Snow Goose Inn is strategically located in the area that
can give Denali NP and Canadian Rockies a run for their money!
I loved the Snow Goose. I love Adirondack High Peaks.

• Liked — friendly hosts
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
#3 of 4 in Keene Valley
ADK Trail Inn
ADK Trail Inn
#1 of 1 in Upper Jay

Been to Snow Goose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!