“Great value and location”
Review of RoosterComb Inn

RoosterComb Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Keene Valley B&B and Inns
Sudbury, Massachusetts
“Great value and location”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

There are several more expensive options in the Keene-to-Lake Placid stretch, but the RoosterComb is inexpensive, clean, comfortable, and conveniently located right in the middle of Keene Valley. While it is not a B&B, there is a nice-sized kitchen that can be shared by the guests. The rooms are decorated with ADK furniture, most of which is made on the premises. My room was one of the smaller ones (Snow Mount), but still completely comfortable for 1 person, including a comfortable firm mattress and comfortable bed linens. ANd, bonus, there is even wi-fi! All-around, it's a great value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Great rustic Inn with amazing collection of hand-made furniture on premises. The Roostercomb room has a private bath. Other rooms share two bathrooms. Shared bathroom with shower is big and clean. Other shared bathroom with toilet only. Suggest the Wolfjaw room ($75 with shared bath). The floors are a bit creaky if someone gets up at night to use the bathroom, but otherwise a good night's sleep. Steve gets an awesome campfire going at night and it's a relaxing way to spend part of your evening. You can also hang out downstairs next to the wood stove and sit in some of the most amazing hand-made chairs you'll ever see. The kitchen has everything and is conveniently positioned with a walk-out deck/patio and nice views. Make some coffee and/or breakfast there or mosie across the street to the Noonmark diner. We'll be back next time we come to the Adirondacks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael A
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2012

A friend and I recently spent a night at th Rooster Comb Inn in Keene Valley. While it was clean and had some " Adirondack charm" we did not find that it was good value. First, we were under the impression that it was a B&B, which it wasn't. We also mistakenly assumed that the room had a bathroom, when the bathroom was in the hall and shared with all of the 4 rooms. So basically we had each had a bed, for a total of $92. The service was non existent, as the owners never made an appearance... We'll find another place to stay next time.

Please note that the Inn does not have a fitness room or a pool ( which is fine with me) but I can't seem to correct the rating below, which I mistakenly hit and which indicates otherwise.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan M
RoosterComb, Owner at RoosterComb Inn, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
I am writing to reply to a recent review by Susan M. I am sorry that I didn't see her while she was here, which was for one night. It was a Sunday night and the reservation mentioned that she would arrive after 6:00 PM. I don't know what time she arrived or when she left, although my assistant tells me that she bought a chair from our rustic store. I was in my workshop by then. I live and work on the property and I do make myself available to make outdoor fires, etc, It is quite possible that I was out to dinner when she arrived. I almost never leave the valley.

On our rooms and rates page... on our website, we mention in 2 different places that it is an Inn, not a B&B. We provide coffee and creamer and offer a full kitchen, shared by our guests. It is a real kitchen, not a kitchenette. There is a well known diner across the street called the Noonmark, for breakfast. Also, on this same page there is a description of each room, listing whether the room has a private bath or shares hallway bathrooms. The description is next to the check availability button. The building is a restored, 130 year old victorian house and there is not a bathroom in every room. The room in question is $85.00 plus tax for 2 people, which we think is a bargain for Keene Valley, $42.50 per person. I don't think that there is anything for less in Keene Valley except for the local Hostel.

I am sorry that I didn't do a good enough job for this guest.

Steve
Middlesex, NY
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We just spent a long Labor Day weekend in Keene Valley. This is the absolute best place to stay & play in the valley. We were in the Spread Eagle room which had 4 single beds & lots of room to spread out our gear. The beds were comfortable & the room was very pleasant. We had the run of the kitchen which included a dish washer. But if you don't feel like cooking the Noonmark Diner is across the road. There is also a washer & dryer for all the grubby hiking clothes. We were a bit worried about the shared bathroom issue. But we found this to be a non-problem. We will be going back again for our next trip into this area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I loved this place. My room was rustic (in a beautiful way) and just charming. I felt at home, and even though I was the only one there early on this particular night, Steve built a wonderful bonfire that I cozied up to in the evening after a long day of climbing. The community kitchen was spotless, and homey, and the shared bathroom spacious. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
NY
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Wow, what a lovely, friendly place. The hosts go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable. Our room was classic adirondack with nice decor. My 13 yr old son & I stayed in the smallest room, Little Porter, and while small, certainly bigger than some Paris rooms I'ved had. My son had the trundle bed and I had the twin bed, which was firm and comfortable.

Note, some of the rooms, like ours, have no a/c. Not a problem during our one night stay as it was cool in the evenings. Also 4 the of the rooms share one bathroom with shower and one half bath.

There's a great deck next to the kitchen and we had a fire outside in the evening.

We'll definitely stay again. Great value.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ChooChoo4427
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stopped at the Rooster Comb for just one night on our way back home to Canada after visiting Vermont. We traveled with our Great dane, so we can't go everywhere !

We booked the Spread Eagle room, the largest one, and it was impeccable, perfect for us and our dog. She had enough space and we slept so well : comfortable beds, calm, air conditioning.

The Inn is really welcoming, and it will have everything you need. We visited Lake Placid and went hiking also. It has a full kitchen so you can cook you meals and have breakfast.

It's cheap, clean, and the people you met there are super friendly ! I recommend it !

Room Tip: With a large dog, the Spread Eagle is perfect, but you will have to get 2 of the twin beds together...