“Not the best deal in town”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
New York
“Not the best deal in town”
Reviewed 19 October 2007

When we first booked with the hotel, I spoke with a very nice lady who charged me for six people instead of five, so that was the beginning of the process. When we arrived at the dude ranch and went to our room, the carpet had not been vacuumed from the previous guests. Not a great first impression. Breakfast was good, lunch not great but edible, and dinner was sometimes good but sometimes terrible. I ordered one night mac. & cheese, it was cold and the portion was kid-sized. I make better at home (and I am not the best cook either!) We had a waiter and waitress that seemed to not get along at all. The smell emanating from the bad water was just terrible, and they used it for a lot of things. The one thing that really impressed me were the family's children who helped run the ranch. They were lovely and seemed to have a better handle on customer relations than the adults there. The outdoor and indoor lifeguards were very nice. But the indoor pool was gross. The person making the appointments for horseback riding seemed bored and behaved as though he were doing us a favor (I thought we spent enough money on this place). When we did go horseback riding, I felt some apprehension because I had had a bad experience years ago so I was nervous. The buxom blond who matched me up with my horse picked the most sullen, bad-tempered horse in the lot (I had even told my son before we went riding that that had to be the most ugly horse I'd ever seen). The only person in our family who really seemed to enjoy himself was my 21 year old son who got involved in some activities. Otherwise, it was something I wouldn't do again. Our timeshare in New Hampshire is more fun.

• Liked — Outdoor pool, breakfast, scenery, petting zoo
  • Disliked — The room, the smelly water, the constant tipping to staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank mariejolie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Long Island
Reviewed 29 September 2007

I most recently took my mother and two sons (ages 11 and 8) to Pinegrove over the summer. We have been going to pinegrove for the past 3 years, and always have a great time. My sons can not wait to go back again, and luckily it is affordable enough for us to be able to return soon. My favorite thing about Pinegrove is the fact that almost everything is included. This is the only vacation that I have ever taken where my kids can have a free snack, enjoy plenty sports and activites without rental fees, I can even enjoy a complimentary cocktail at the cocktail party. The staff at Pinegrove are all so nice and helpful. They really get all of us involved in the activites and make everthing lots of fun. The food is good and plentiful and our rooms were always clean and nice enough (though we never spend much time in them). My sons both loved being at the stables. They are usually able to ride several times a day. The trails are on the most beautiful mountain side, and the wranglers always make us all feel comfortable and safe. There is so much to do at Pinegrove that I just can not list all of the wonderful things that we enjoyed. Almost everything at Pinegrove is child oriented, and family friendly. If you are looking for a place to spend quality time with your children Pinegrove is perfect.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank nat2441
Great Neck
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We went to Pinegrove on a Girl Scout weekend. 460 Girlscouts including the Adults. We arrived and were greeted by friendly people then promptly given a room in the bacement. They call the floor you walk in the 2nd floor. The room was full of dust, someone had even drawn a heart in the dust. The wall had a huge hole it in where the cable cord went in but the hole was the site of a door knob so they filled it with white paper to diguse it. There were clearly spider eggs in the bathroom.

The water from the shower and the drinking water smells. Showers were painful and they run out of hot water fast. Drinking the water was unbarable you should bring your own bottled water and remember soda isn't included. The including drinks: Ice Tea, Lemonade, and fruit punch are made from that awful water so they were awful too.

The bartender a lady in her late 40's with bleached blonde hair was downright rude to people and had not tolerance for people who complained about the resort. She said some really nasty things to people. Several people complained about her but I think she may either be and owner or something because nobody took them seriously.

We walked around the grounds they had all the activities they claim on their website but he facilities look like the same ones build in the early 70's when they opened. The indoor pool was fun for the kids but fithy. The man who was supposed to pick up the towels yelled at people (not even the people who left the towels lying around either) instead of just picking them up himself. There was water leaking from the ceiling and when mentioned to managment they said they are aware of the problem. The stench in the indoor pool was a mix of clorine and mold. They also only had seats for about 30 people so most were standing.

The food was pretty low quality and barely acceptable. The kids were fine with the food and they had a snack bar with Hamburgers, Cheeseburger, Hot Dogs, Garden Burgers, Fries and real Ice Cream. The activities were acceptable but they should modernize them. The show the first night was a magic show and it entertaining for the kids. We said almost behind him and could see how he did at least half of the tricks. The 2nd nights show had to do with roping and the girls had little to no interest and asked to leave after 15 minutes (we were bored at it also). The services by Jennifer and Edwardo was awful. My daughter asked for a drink and Jennifer says no way you didn't order you food yet. NO drink until you food comes????????

The boats and fishing they talk about are paddle boats and fishing from the dock and not fishing boats.

The horseback riding was fun and well run. All in all this was good for a Girl Scout weekend - I considered it camping but I would never take my family here for a vacation. In the summer people come for a week (there isn't enough to do here for a week).

We looked at the ski area and it looked fairly small. The ice skating ring (although not open) looked like a dry cell pool. IN the winter they put water in and it freezes. They pull a van with the skates in front of it and call it Ice Skating.

I would hesitate to even rate this is a 2 star resort but It was better then camping and I would do it again for a Girl Scout or like weekend only.

• Liked — The check in Staff and the staff in the Bullroom
  • Disliked — The room and the indoor pool
  • Stayed September 2007
5 Thank Chucky66

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

NYNY
Reviewed 31 August 2007

Just got back last night...my husband and I both had been to Pinegrove as children and this was 30 years ago so we were aware that it is not 5 star nor is it 3 or 4 stars...that said, we were frightened by the reviews but off we went with my parents, my friends and their family...the first bit of advise I have is if you are in the NEVADA rooms request a change, the staff is quite accomodating and friendly. We had a problem the first night and they were very quick to assist. The rooms, not the best but slip the maid a $5 and she will be more accomodating. The lobby is fun and there are so many activities all day long...the food, well, it is ok, not great but there is always salad and desert. Breakfast is ok, eggs ok, pancakes were ok, you will not starve, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, the coffee is good and I am picky about my coffee...there is coffee all day in the lobby and a Starbucks as well. Dinner: steak not so great, the chicken was decent. Desert was always good and the wait staff is friendly and fast. I wish they would windex the windows and doors, it would make a huge difference. Chuck Wagon Snack Bar : pizza is good and we are from NY so we love good pizza and we liked it. The subs are decent, although the snack bar is usually crowded you will not wait too long on line. OK food and room aside, the activities are great, they may not be professional grade archery equiptment or the rock climbing wall at Chelsea Pier but my kids had fun. The entertainment in the Bull Lounge is good, we had fun, it is geared toward the kids and they loved it. This is the first resort i have gone to that everyone was friendly, we met other families and the kids made instant friends. Kareokee in the lobby, rock climbing, pool, archery, ping pong, racket ball, badmitten, mini golf, playground for the little ones, so much to do... Overall, the kids had a great time, they said they had more fun than at Disney...can you beieve that? My kids are 9 and 2 so their interests are opposite but there was fun for everyone. By the way the indoor pool, gross, the outdoor pool excellent! Day 1 I was miserable but once we overlooked the room we were ok. My kids came home tired and happy. we spent quality time together and am glad we went. We were lucky we went with friends and that made it more fun. Would i go back, maybe, would my kids? DEFINITELY...next year we will try Woodloch Pines...anyone been there recently?

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank NYMOM1019
Lake Grove, NY
Reviewed 31 August 2007

My family visited the resort to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday. We traveled with my parents, my husband, two children, my siblings and their spouses and my 13 month old niece. Our rooms were in the Wyoming section, just by the snack bar. At first we were concerned to be so close to such a high traffic area, but soon realized that it wouldn't be a problem at all, and even better, we were close to the food should we want a quick snack! Our rooms were somewhat "rustic", but very clean. We really didn't spend much time in the room, so the older furniture and even older bathroom didn't bother us. But I can understand how some of the other reviewers were annoyed. The rates are fair, but not inexpensive, but when you put into perspective all that you receive, it's really a pretty good deal. You can ride horses all day long if you want to. You can only sign up for one, but can wait in the stand by line as many times as you want. There are unlimited pony rides for children under 8 years old between the hours of 9:30 and 4:30. Once you've had enough of the horses, there is a nice fishing pond that also has paddle boats. A pretty decent playground. Basketball court, archery range, paddle ball courts, bacchi and horseshoes. A rock climbing wall, that we didn't use, but was there if we wanted to. The outdoor pool was great. It was heated and quite comfortable, the slide kept my kids busy for hours. The only complaint about the pool area is that there were not enough chairs for the amount of people who needed them. There were two mini golf courses, laser tag, pool tables and ping pong tables. The indoor pool was not very inviting. It was in the basement and just seemed very dingy. We may not have had as great a time if this pool was our only option. Each evening there was a coketail party for the kids and a cocktail party for the adults, all drinks were complimentary and the snacks were your basic happy hour food. Fried vegis, wings and dip & vegis. The food, not as bad as some people have said, but not exactly good if you are watching your waistline. Just know that you will put all diets on hold for the few days you are there. Lots of burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza, cookies, ice cream and sandwiches. There were very good salads available at the snack bar, and you could have a sandwich made to your tastes. The activities advertised on the daily sheet happened when they said they would and were attended by many. Everyone in our group found something to do. Everyone in our group seemed to enjoy their stay. Remember, you are at a dude ranch, not a 5 star hotel in Manhattan. If you are looking for a 5 star experience, go somewhere else. If you want a place to spend quality time with your family, with so much to do for everyone, then this is a great place to try. We would definately return.

• Liked — The room was clean.
  • Disliked — The furniture was old and mattress sagged.
1 Thank jfpb
Great Neck New York
Reviewed 29 August 2007

This resort is very outdated with rooms with broken sinks,old carpet,and broken chairs. My bathroom had black mold growing behind a corner of the wall paper. The rooms had a bad bathroom smell when you used the water. I think this is why they give you complimentary water in the room? For lunch you have to wait on a long line with no tray (imagine this with little kids) to get burgers/hot dogs and there is no big tables to sit and eat as a family. My husband would go to find a small table while I waited on line to carry all the food. The dining room food is very poor. I got a chicken leg and a salad one day. On 8/25/07 it was so hot in the dining room that we had to leave. The Saturday night performer did not show and the resort had no alternative plans. The pool area had very old chairs and we had to sit on the floor while we waiting for people to get up or us to beg for a chair. We spoke to management and they told us the smell area is due to the water in the resort. However, this smell was just in the rooms. We were also told sorry but the owener is on vacation for the next two weeks.

This is a ranch but you should expect a clean and up to date room with adequate food. The only possitive thing is that the kids did have fun with all their cousins. I would not recommend this resort at all to familes. I was afraid that my kids were going to be sick from the mold, bad water, and bad food.

• Liked — bunk beds
  • Disliked — smell and mold
7 Thank notyoudude
New York
Reviewed 28 August 2007

My boyfriend and I just returned from PineGrove and were definitely disappointed with the overall quality of the resort. Our biggest mistake was thinking that there would be as much there for us as a couple without kids, as there is for families with kids. We don't have children, but chose to go there because of all of the activities that were mentioned on the hotel's website. I had been to Villa Roma and Rocking Horse Ranch in the past and thought that PineGrove would be comparable with regard to activities & nightlife for adults. Needless to say it wasn’t. I knew it was a family friendly ranch, but I had no idea that ALL of the activities are geared toward children including the evening shows.

Aside from all of the activities revolving around kids, I had an issue with the way the meals were served. Dinner takes place between 6:30-7:30 daily. The kitchen closes promptly at 7:30. Therefore, guests are a bit rushed through the meal. When we arrived to dinner at 7:00 one night, we were served our soup and our entrees together. I had only just begun eating my entrée when I was told that I need to order dessert as the kitchen would soon be closing. The dinners are served in small portions. However, guests are permitted to order more than 1 entrée. The wait staff was polite, but service took a backseat as the priority was feeding over 200 people in exactly 1 hour. They didn’t even need the dining room immediately after dinner so I still don’t understand why it was such a rush. As for the actual quality of the food, I would say it was ok - about average.
For all of you chocolate ice cream lovers, I should mention that the Chuck Wagon Grill only offers vanilla. You may want to double check and see if it’s always that way, but during my 3 day stay there was a sign on it that said “vanilla only”.

When I say "low quality", I'm not just referring to the food. Their activities were not quite what I had expected. For lack of a better description, I'll call them "low-end". For instance, they said they offer billiards, they actually only have 2 pool tables. The same is true for air hockey, ping-pong and bocci. Their archery consisted of 3 old targets in a dingy, enclosed area. Their paddle boats were dirty and the knob handles were missing off the gear sticks. There was a rock climbing wall, but it was smaller than I had pictured. Their Karoake activity consisted of 1 man that set up right there in the lobby area and didn't even sing himself. Everything was just on a smaller scale. I think you get the idea.

With regard to the actual facility, it’s pretty run down looking. This didn’t bother me as much as the activity and dinner issues did. However, I thought I’d mention it for those of you that might really be upset by it. The carpet in our building was really old and dirty. The furniture in our room was pretty worn and scratched up all over. There were dead bugs in our bathroom light fixture. Our bed had no support and had a curve in it so that the left side was much lower than the right. I had to keep myself from falling all the way over to the left.

The best part for me was their outdoor pool. My boyfriend and I went on both of their water slides. It was a lot of fun, even for adults. Naturally, it was an even bigger hit with the kids. I overheard several children telling their parents how great the place was. I wasn’t at all surprised by that, since everything there revolves around children. With all that said, here’s my recommendation: if you have kids and are looking for an economical vacation that doesn’t have to be top quality, PineGrove would probably be good for you.
For any couples considering this place, don’t make the same mistake I did. If you have no kids, you really don’t belong here.

I hope you found my review helpful. Enjoy your vacation, wherever that may be!

• Liked — their pool and water slides
  • Disliked — lack of adult activities
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AliNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!