“Spring Break at Pinegrove”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
New York
“Spring Break at Pinegrove”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We just returned from our annual Spring trip to Pinegrove Ranch, and are already looking forward to our return. In 2012, they instituted a new riding program, which for people like us who go there mainly for riding, is fantastic! By paying just $99 extra, we were guaranteed 4 rides per day, for our entire stay. Anyone who has been to the ranch in the past, knows that you used to have to wait in the standby line, to try to get extra rides. And, unless you one of the first few people in that line, you usually couldn't get a horse. Hence, this new program is awesome! The wranglers were all wonderful, as always, and made our time on the trails very memorable. The bartender, Jeremy, was a blast! On a week when very few people were booked, he managed to keep us entertained every night! Nicole, who is in charge of the restaurant, was awesome! She took such good care of us, accommodating any special requests we had for dinner. We loved seeing Rob, the activities director, although we were pretty much occupied with riding most days. Skeeter is great, and went out of his way to make sure the entertainers we liked were performing while we were there. We plan to return in the summer (twice), and fall, as this is one of our favorite places to vacation. I know there are a lot of negative reviews out there on this place, but trust me when I say, it is worth the trip! The rooms are clean, although a little rustic, but any issues with them can be resolved promptly. The food is good, although it could be spiced up a bit. They have endless activities during the day, for those not obsessed with riding, and their evening entertainment is always great! The staff, from maintenance and housekeeping, all the way up to David, the owner, are the main reason we come back time and again. We are always made to feel like part of the family, and we can't say enough about everyone!

Room Tip: Dakota and Santa Fe rooms are worth the extra money, as they are further from the noise of the lobby...
5 Thank April C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Brooklyn
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My girls had a blast!!!! We had a very large group and they were able to handle everyone. The weekend was full of Girl Scouts from all over. The staff kept them busy form early morning till midnight. The girls were able to work and earn many badges. The disco made them feel like grown ups. The staff will work very hard to make your stay fantastic.
Please remember this is not the Ritz, this is a true dude ranch. The rustic decor, dust and dirt on the trails and the smell of horses (across the street) just reminds you of good old times.
We can't wait to go back and have already held our rooms. My parents and girls are already deciding what to do first. This has to tell you that Pinegrove is worth the trip. ENJOY!!!

2 Thank Dianne D
Ronkonkoma
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed Monday through Friday during Spring Recess. We stayed in the Mesa Verde section of the Resort. It is the room shown in the Tripadvisor picture. The rooms were very clean, including the bathroom and the beds were comfortable. I travel a lot on business. I would compare the rooms to those at the Holiday Inn. I have two girls ages 7 and 11 years old. There were plenty of activities scheduled throughout the day to keep them busy. ( Such as basketball, dodge ball, swimming, bingo, bounce pillow, karaoke, campfire sing-a-longs and cocktail parties) Rob is the Activities Director. Rob does a wonderful job at organizing the children and coordinating the daily activities. My girls absolutely loved this place ! This an all inclusive resort. It included breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was good and the food selection was good. You can eat Prime Rib every night if you like ! One night I received a Prime Rib not cooked to my liking. The waitress brought me another prime rib cooked to my liking without any problem. There is also a snack bar that is open from 11am to 11pm. It offers ice cream, slushies, hamburgers, hotdogs, friutcup and ice cream. It is all you can eat. It also has drinks such as milk, ice tea, lemonaide and apple juice. We went horseback riding two days. My girls have never been horseback riding. The horses are extremely well trained. My 7 year old was able to ride on her own. Horseback riding was an extremely pleasureable experience here. There is also family entertainment every night that was great ! Pinegrove is an incredible value for the money. We had an awesome time that will provide a lifetime of fond memories. We can't wait to go back. It is not a 5 star resort and does not cost as much as a 5 star resort. It is a family resort. Parts of the resort are older. This may bother some people. The service here was excellent. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. If you are looking for a family resort with plenty to do, with good food, good service, and is not costly, then I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mesa Verde section fo the resort. It was clean and quiet. The rooms appeared new. T...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael C
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Rooms were absolutley dirty. The bath tub and toilet were filthy. I had to call the front desk and have the maid come to clean again. The room was run down with a dead bug squished on the ceiling. The water came out brown out of the fawcetts for the first 15 minutes. People were rude that worked there as well. Horse back riding was only 40 minutes not an hour.

14 Thank Momh12

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Bedding, beds, furniture, walls everything is disgusting! If I were not here with a Girl Scout trip I would have checked right back out. I can accept old or outdated but there is no reason to pay for filthy rooms. No mattress pads over filthy, stained mattresses, dirty sheets, hair on "clean bedding" and in shower and shower doesn't drain properly (fills with water). Dirty walls, doors, bedframes. The list is endless. When i told the front desk about the sheets, there was no apology. housekerping brought u a bag of sheets so I could change all 4 beds on my own. Not even an offer to do it. Just praying it's just dirt and I don't go home with any bugs!!!!

• Stayed April 2012
15 Thank Choosymomm
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I had been to pinegrove a few years back like 10 year ago.and my family and I had a blast after this stay I.will never go back even if it were paid for the rooms were disgusting buildings falling apart food was terrible not to mention that all activities shut down during meal time so.your forced to.eat slop or sit in your room almost an hour wait for signups to go.horseback riding on a overworked horse rooms were filthy and held together with spit and glue the only good employee there is Skeeter who.tries his best to help.u out but the place sucks so much there's not much he can do I.will be contacting management to try to get some money back as they place was so disgusting and rundown that it had me and my girlfriend fighting with each other because we were so frustrated with the place that we couldn't take it its such a shame as I said this place used to be awesome now its just an overpriced roach motel with horses that if your lucky enough to actually get on one the trail ride consists of a twenty minute walk in a circle through the woods this place has gone drastically down hill and I will never return again I'm so.disgusted with this.place I.will do.my best to let anyone and everyone know not.to go.here you would rather stay at the little dirty motels on rt 44/55 and get a better room this.is not.a fake.post my name is tony Trinceri and my number is 631-831-4827 hopefully management will.do.the right thing and contact me about giving a refund, lots of luck with that.PLEASE DO.YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A FAVOR AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP

• Stayed April 2012
13 Thank Tonytrinceri
newark
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My daughter and myself went to Pinegrove for a 3 day trip and all I can say is we had a wonderful time and my daughter wants to now live at pinegrove :) we loved the ranch and all the fun that came with it, the horseback riding, fishing, boating, swimming, games and most of all my daughter met so many friends from all over, she enjoyed playing egg toss and as the only kid playing with all adults that day she won and she was proud, the staff their were all friendly and fun, we will definately be returning for another trip, thank you Pinegrove!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NewarkEdi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Minnewaska Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!