“Big let down”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We found this resort online, but did not use trip advisor, big mistake. This resort is run down, and in need of renovation. The pool is small and dirty. The other activities are all pretty rudimentary as well. Don't use their website to get an idea of what the resort feels like. We booked a 4 day stay, but left after 1 night. On the upside, the fook is OK; the rooms are clean; the horseback riding is OK.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JWZ1
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write about your experience at Pinegrove on TripAdvisor. Each of our department managers review every review with their staff to use your comments to make the next guest stay more enjoyable. Pinegrove Ranch is a small family owned and operated resort ranch that strives to provide a value vacation. It is our goal to provide the best "value to price" ranch vacation in the Northeast. While other properties may be newer or more polished, none provide as much food, recreation, entertainment and facilities at a comparable price. I'm sorry your family was not happy with our Ranch but glad you found the food, rooms and riding "OK".

We would like to provide your family an opportunity to return to the ranch as our guest and give us a second chance. Please call 800-346-4626, ask for General Manger Paul Craft.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

My family spent 3 days at the Ranch and had a great time. Like other reviews said if you are looking for the Hilton.....you wont find it here. But you will have fun. The room we stayed in could use alot of updating, but I didn't go for the room. The food was included in the package and was ok. The all day burgers and dogs was a plus and they put up with my kids every 5 minutes with no complaints. (Dave...very helpful).
The most fun we had was the paintball on the property. The operator, Steve of Roadrunner Paintball, was GREAT. It costs a bit more but it was well worth it and my kids(13 and16) had a great time.
Overall, I would recommed a short stay here....it's a good value and a very relaxed atmosphere, but don't expect too much. Oh yea....bring a coffee cup, the 4 ounce foam cup you get get with your morning coffee just doesn't cut it. And Starbucks in the lobby.....NEVER OPEN.

• Stayed: September 2012

Our Starbuck's Cafe is open each moring from 8am-12noon during family stay periods. It is not open midweek out of season when guest counts are low. We are sorry that Starbucks was not available during your stay.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Overall I think this place is very safe and the kids can walk around and do things on their own.
I hated all the sign ups. You have to stand on lines for like 1 hour to sign up for everything.
My biggest complaint is the horse back riding. There is not instruction/direction given by staff. They tell you the sign up time is 3-5 but then you wait on line until they come out to the sign up area around 3:15-3:30. I waited on line to sign up for the Jr. Wranglers and they tell you to be at the stables at 10 the following morning.

When you go to the stables you have to search for someone who works there, they don't have anyone there to let you know where to go. When we finally found someone we asked about the Wrangers program and they tell you after the trail ride leaves at 10:15 they start, but they fail to mention they have to do all the pony rides first (25-30 people waiting for the pony rides). Needless to say by 11:00 they still had about 25 people doing pony rides. Now for the pony rides, as we were sitting there and after the trail ride leaves there were 3 staff playing with the horses moving them around the corral. After that 2 of the staff get on their horses and go down the trail which leaves on 1 girl to do the pony rides.

Overall there was alot for my kids (9 & 6) but they are young, it's alot of 70's activities. The food was really not that good, although for my kids the snack bar was good for my older daughter (who went all the time for burgers and fries).

When I was at the front desk there were people complainging and the staff weren't concered at all and definitely were not going to try and accomidate their concerns.

I also have to say my kids were again and again ignored by staff at the front desk and restaurant. My daughter went up to the front desk to ask for ping pong paddles and ball (I was sitting in the lobby watching her) and when she was taking I figued there was no one at the desk but when I walked up there were 3 people there and helped me immediately (my daughter said they were looking at her but would not help her) and in the restaurant I told my kids to wait for a table (so I could throw something in my car) and when I came back my girls said everyone ignored them.

Lets put it this way - would I go back - NO WAY!

Room Tip: Dakota faces the pools and seems like a good room. I think the best rooms would have been in the wi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Travles_2012

Lines are a problem, we are committed to reducing or eliminated guest lines for activities or sign-ups. We are currently working on a software program to allow guest to select ride times prior to arrival.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We went to Pinegrove Ranch for a family reunion, with 22 people ranging from 2-80 I can honestly say Pinegrove provided entertainment for all of us. The staff was nice and the facilities had a lot going for them. My older daughter and I enjoyed the horses a lot and felt that the staff was kind and knowledgeable about them.

But, like others it was difficult to turn a blind eye to the areas that needed help. Overall I don't think many people go to the mountains and expect the Ritz but Pine grove could do with a big infusion of money to bring it up to what it clearly once was, little things like worn out carpet. To bigger things like rusty nails sticking out out of benches. There was a certain dampness that existed more in some rooms than others ours was ok but my parents which was in the lowest level had to empty the constantly running dehumidifier a few times.

The last thing that I really felt was a drawback was the food. At best the food was ok but lunch was almost inedible. You pay a premium to have meals included and while I was not expecting it to be the best meals I would ever eat, I certainly did not look forward to meal time either.

My kids, who are of course obliviously to the things that we noticed, had a blast! They want to go back as soon as possible. The little things they had set up made a big difference from karaoke to bingo it was fun to do those things impromptu.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TracyC1980

Thank you for mentioning the nails sticking out on those handmade bark-on benches. Fortunately, your comments enabled us to remove and repair those benches before anyone sustained a serious injury.

As a "Thank You" we would like to provide your family an opportunity to return to the ranch as our guest and give us a second chance. Please call 800-346-4626, ask for General Manger Paul Craft.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I went to Pinegrove for the first time in August of this yr and it was my first vacation with my family. I have a 2yr old girl,11yr old girl, and a 14yr old boy and they had a good time there there were a lot to do there which was what I wanted for them before school started.However there was things that Pinegrove should have paid more attention to and that was # 1 the out side pool was very dirty on the slides.The benches in the court yard that was made out of wood has nails sticking out of them which I had brought it to there attention on one of the days and a few days later the nails still there dangerous. They have a bouncing balloon out side that was also dirty inside buy the reception desk they have a fan or heater it was filthy.In the rooms the hot water was brown most of the time did not take a bath for with hot water but cold.this is just some of the things we my wife and I seen but the children was to busy having fun. I also wanted to mention the horse stable it was so run down the stairs were broken they had flies like crazy the smell was nasty. where they take out the horses so you can get on them was full of horse manure. I can't imagine how the inside of the stable looks like and smell.the horse ride a very short for what you spend to ride.The so call fishing lake was a small pond with no fishes but turtles.Then only thing we liked was the food and the snacks,

Room Tip: not in here
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank luis p
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I used to go to Pinegrove years ago with a family, and we always had a good time. However, the price was on a high side, so we switched to other vacation places. After some break and seeing a good deal on holiday weekend, we decided to go back. I had a lot of expectations remembering good old times and was terribly disappointed. My main reason to be there was horseback riding. I am an advanced rider in both English and Western saddles and have many years of experience. I remember that the rides in Pinegrove were really nice and even though they would book you for only one ride a day, you could always go on standby and have as many rides per day as you want. This was not the case this time. I guess they got rid of majority of horses and are trying to get visitors who care less about riding. The rides this time were a joke. They tell you it is one hour, but it is hardly more than 15 minutes (if you subtract the time that you spend waiting for all people in line to get on the horses, getting through mandatory "test" between each ride, etc.). In 3 days we were there, I only had one good riding day. On one occasion, they gave me the horse that would not even move (please believe me, I know how to handle horses, I have seen my share of lazy ones - this one was beyond help (I am sure they knew itand gave it out of spite to me because I previously corrected them than they gave wrong instruction), in other situation, a girl in front of me could not get her horse to cantor, therefore just because me and another person were behind her - they turned all of us down (on a short distance they give you to try, you cannot really do anything when someone in front of you stalls, you are not allowed to pass, of course). Three times i waited on standby, and only got to ride once - that was when I waited for almost an hour after the previous run left...
This place used to be so different, it hurts me that they ruin my good memory of it. I remember being there for New Year 2002.... the owner was so nice that he arranged for me and 2 other guests to have a wild ride in the woods which followed by great all night party... The staff was very friendly and many times did not bother with stupid tests after the first day once they knew everyone... (I guess, it makes sense that people do not improve or get terribly worse in one or few days, right?)... well, I guess i should forget about this and never come back. Of course, if you just want to relax and care less about riding, you may have good time there, as there are plenty of other things to do there: games, pool, etc... but if you like me, cannot afford to have your own horse, and like to ride any chance you get, then I certainly will tell you not to go to Pinegrove. There are better choices. This was my worst vacation ever, they even drove me to tears... The beautiful weather was the only consolation. Although I did not expect any luxury and was ok with outdated (but spacious) room and same food choices every day, for some people it is important, so I am throwing it here as well...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank hitulu
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My niece and a friend of ours spent a wonderful 5 days at Pinegrove this summer, and it was by far the best trip ever! The new riding program is fantastic, as by simply paying an extra $99 per person, you are guaranteed 4 rides per day. That is our primary purpose of visiting the ranch, so this works out beautifully. The other reason for visiting the ranch, of course, is their amazing staff. The girls (and guys) working in the barn are a blast to spend the days with, making for some very memorable riding! Jeremy made us lots of tasty drinks in the bar, and always kept us amused, even when there was no evening entertainment! Nicole took good care of us in the dining room, as always! Betsy and the front desk crew made us feel like valued guests, and even spent time with us outside of the business hours. David, the owner, always remembers us and takes the time to chat. It's personal touches, like these, that make this place so special. There are a lot of negative reviews posted about this place, but unless you are expecting the Walforf Astoria to be found in Kerhonkson, NY, I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. When I think of a dude ranch, I think of comfortable accommodations, great activities, and welcoming staff. I get that every single time I visit, making this one of my favorite places to vacation. We'll be back, again, for their Halloween weekend, which always makes for a memorable trip!

Room Tip: The Dakota rooms are definitely the best, and the upper floors are worth the stairs. It is an old b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank April C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#3 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!