“DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES...THIS IS A GREAT WEEKEND GETAWAY!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Brooklyn, New York
“DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES...THIS IS A GREAT WEEKEND GETAWAY!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have just returned from Pinegrove with an eight year old. I will admit that after reading all the negatives about this place, I came close to forfeiting my deposit. Well, I went anyway. First of all, it is a ranch. I never expected elegance. I wanted to ride a horse, sleep in a clean room, and have fun
They have a daycamp where the children painted masks, made trick-or-treat bags, rode ponies, pillow-bounced, and paraded their costumes for treats. We played Bingo, listened to music, went swimming, hayriding, chatted and toasted marshmallows around the bonfires. Yes, my room was an older, more basic room, but it was very clean and my t.v. worked well and every channel worked as well. The staff was pleasant and accommodating, and it appeared that everyone was having a blast, as I was. My eight year old can't wait to return. Why is this place being trashed on trip-advisor? It was everything I expected from a dude ranch, and will definitely return before the year is out. The weekend flew by because we were having fun. I didn't have time to read my book as I thought I would. Of course, if you are willing to spend a couple of thousand to stay two nights at a dude ranch, then by all means, you should expect modern accommodations, gourmet meals, etc. I would take a cruise for that amount of money. I had a great time, definitely family-oriented, great for groups. The food is cafeteria quality, but definitely edible. However, some people won't be pleased no matter what they get. They walk in looking for what is wrong. So if you want to have a fun, relaxing, laid-back weekend, you are in for a treat...hey, they take responsibility for your children's entertainment at no cost to you.
Stop trashing this wonderful establishment. It's probably the competitors doing , anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter location if you're a quiet group. Some rooms have small children who tend to b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeanette T
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for being our guest and posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I too get confused by some of the very negative post. It's like there must be more than one Pinegrove Ranch? Well, there is just one. I can usually find good stuff to help me run the ranch from negative and positive reviews. Over time, I have figured out why guest stay the entire length of their planned vacation (we sell by the night or day) and then write a 100% negative review. These post fall into two general categories: Can't Leave or No Similar Priced Ranch. The "Can't Leave" has nothing to do with location or transportation; it means that their kids are having a great time even thought they personally hate it. The "No Similar Priced Ranch" is just that, our only competitor is more than twice our price.

So glad your family enjoyed the Ranch. It means a great deal to all of us.

David - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here last summer for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. The people are all very helpful and friendly. Very clean place with lots of activities. The price includes everything except booze. Want a drink or icecream in the afternoon - free. Also cocktail parties before dinner -free. Food is excellent and plentiful. We hope to go back next summer.

Room Tip: Nevada section is good if you don't like stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill572
Thank you, Pinegrove strives to provide activities for toddlers to grandparents. Being located in the Catskill Mountains gives Pinegrove a great backdrop for all our recreational activities. The new Fire Pit is an example of a simple facility that encourages guests to spend more time outdoors. There are some great savings available for Summer 2014 for those willing to plan ahead.

See you soon,

Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a must do with your family, friends, couples, even solo!!! Affordable fun! You decide, non stop action and activities or rest and relaxation. Better yet, mix it up and go with how you feel! I stay at a lot of places all over the country and this ranch was the cleanest! Rooms had no odors. Not musty or over fragrant... Was just perfect! The sheets and bed linens were the whitest and cleanest I have ever experienced. The food was fantastic and if you are in a rush they can accommodate you, if not, then you can just take your sweet time. The staff was friendly and helpful and inviting! Now, best of all was the horse back riding! To start, the horses are well cared for. The staff matches you up to a perfect fit with a horse and gives everyone a Two minute quick overview of how to direct the horse. The ride is fun, the scenery is great, the paths are varied between wooded and open trails. If you are an experienced rider, you will enjoy riding the trails with challenging your horseback riding skills over fallen trees, down muddy slopes, gallop full speed, trot and canter through the woods. I could write a small book in order to include all the activities that Pingrove Ranch has to offer and all for very affordable prices. Go, and have a blast! I assure you that Mike, Jessica and Flynn, just a few of the trail guides, will make sure you enjoy the best horseback riding adventures in all the northeast area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susan R
Thank you, our Barn staff under the leadership of Cowboy Mike, has really stepped up our riding program. Horse care has never been better, longer trail rides, improved trails, new riding opportunities and a staff that loves horses! The new riding opportunities planned for Summer 2014 will truly make Pinegrove's riding program 5 stars: Scenic Ride for Two, Sunset Rides, Dinner on the Trail and an expanded lesson program.

Our Housekeeper, Mery, has had a similar impact on cleanliness. After years of challenges and finding dirt and dust in the corners, I can now confidently say Pinegrove Ranch is CLEAN! There are still some worn rugs and areas that need TLC, but they are clean. The replacement of worn out rugs and other heavily used item is my responsibility. This year I hope to knock that complaint off the list, by installing hundreds of yards of carpeting.

Thanks for being our guest, see you in the saddle!

East Rockaway, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My family and our friends that also have kids have spent the last several years at Pinegrove! It is a very pleasant place. The food isn't five stars, but it's fine. The staff bends over backwards to make you happy. The prices are reasonable. The guests are friendly and it's a party atmosphere. Some of us can afford a more expensive place, but some of our friends cannot. We love Pinegrove and we always take advantage of the Pinegrove bucks. Before we check out, we pay $200 towards our next stay and get rewarded $100. Can't beat that!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mugsaway28
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
It's all about the Kids! There are so many great places to go for adults but a precious few where kids can be themselves without the worries of them getting lost or even worse, stolen. Pinegrove's facilities are operated by a caring staff that enables a 10 year old to do activities with their parents or on their "own" with friends or siblings. That is what make Pinegrove a "Special" place for your children.

The new Fire Pit each evening has been a hit for kids and parents. Some choose to roast marshmallows while others just enjoy the night air.

Thanks for posting a comment,

David
Huntington Station, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was reading all the reviews and noticed it was a lot of mixed feelings. I am very surprised on how the "owner's" responded to the bad ones. You are pretty much telling the unhappy guests to leave if they don't like your place or try it out for a day. These are peoples vacations and some people travel more than an hour away to just leave or go somewhere else. Families are so busy with their lives that they can't just travel hours to a place to try it out for an hour. You really need to show a little compassion when it comes to people spending their hard earned money and not being happy at all. Your website is deceiving!!! I am trying not to bad mouth but instead of trying to accommodate or reconcile peoples problems your telling them to leave and you are giving sarcastic remarks, not a very good businessman.

I went there with my daughter and her friend and if I had to hear I'm bored one more time I was going to go insane. I am not sure if I went off season but there was really no one there and there were just a couple of activities to keep them busy. After we ate breakfast on Saturday we played 2 activities and then there was a lull before lunch so I brought them to the pool but it was closed (the pool should NEVER be closed in a resort with kids) then I wanted to get something at the bar and that was closed (again this is a resort the bar should never close). I then took them to try the Archery and that was closed. I was really shocked how the resort closed down for 2 hours during the day. The Playground needed to be updated.

I do have to agree with one of the reviews I read about the Slushy Machine, YOU DO ADVERTISE THE SLUSHY MACHINE on your website or at least you did in July when I booked the trip but when I arrived in October I was told the Slushy Machine was taken out a few months ago. The rooms weren't bad, the bunk beds could be a little more solid and the ladder to the top bunk should definitely be replaced. The food was OK, I think if your going to a ranch then the food was normal for this type of place

I didn't like the fact the pool was in a basement and the stables were across a street, when I go on vacation with my kids I want to be on vacation too. I had to sit in the basement (b/c my kids were under 12) and watch them in the pool even though there was a life guard. I couldn't let them roam around outside b/c of the fear of them running to go see the horses across the street.

I do have to say the horses were very friendly and the wranglers were friendly and helpful but I thought the horseback riding was too short of a ride and didn't like the fact you can only ride once a day. I thought when you book a vacation at a dude ranch its all about riding the horses. My daughter and her friend did like the Bounce Pillow and they were able to get french fries all day. I think you could make this place amazing if you put a little hard work and money into it. I also think if you went all out on the holidays like, Had Halloween the whole month of October and really did that up it would have been a little more fun. I would definitely not go back b/c overall we did not have a good time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank LAV7575
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for being a guest and taking the time to post your comments. I'm sorry if my straight forward words come off as less than compassionate, but it is difficult to read a post that hates everything about Pinegrove, yet stays 3 days & 2 nights. In all my 30 years of travelling, I've never spent the night at a motel, hotel or resort that I found unacceptable...I checked out. That includes trips to the islands and farther destinations, and yes, I travel with my kids. That said...back to your post.

Just 5 years ago, Pinegrove kept all facilities open all day, and did not close them down for lunch and dinner. Then came the recession, our rates are 30% less today than in 2007. The majority of our guests are looking for affordable family vacations and if small changes like closing facilities during meals equates to saving of a few hundred dollars for a weekend, they choose the savings. Having the Halloween activities all month would be great, we did just that between 2002 & 2008, but those activities added $30 per person, per night and many guest in early October would rather not pay the extra dollars a month before Halloween. It the overall economy gets better for our guests...October will be Halloween!

Your title is 100% correct, "you do get what you pay for". I do not know how much you paid for your daughter's stay but do the math - 3 or 4 meals, free snack bar "she ate fries all day!", facilities, entertainment and more...Did you get what you paid for? I know our package and rates, that's a very difficult question to answer "no". I'm not even adding in the "motel room" cost.

I do appreciate the post, your right I could have answered "Horrible times 3" better, but the words just wouldn't come out. I love my Ranch and it is more that I ever dreamed it to be. Good thing Tripadvisor was not around when I started, we had share-a-baths, shag carpeting on the walls and black & white TV's (everyone had color) that received one snowy channel. We have come a long way and many guests from 1971 still vacation with us. The Ranch is more than a business to my family, and some of these comments are extremely hurtful. The other problem, I refuse to give simple professional replies like so many others do. It too easy, I like reading the comments and providing straight forward answers from the heart...definitely not professional.

Sorry you did not find the value in your vacation,

David - Owner

Travellers are raving about these Kerhonkson hotels

Prince Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at Pinegrove Ranch from October 7th to the 11th. I was a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews, but you have to take them with a grain of salt. I had a wonderful time, and met very friendly people. The food was good, and plentiful. I went horseback riding for the first time ever, and loved it. I only attended one show and that was entertaining. I did get in the indoor pool, but it was chilly. The view of the mountains, and autumn leaves was magnificent. I took walks and found serenity.
The room was dated, and the carpet needed to be cleaned. I took slippers with rubber bottoms. (A viewer suggested doing so) I am glad it did. I don't think the bed was changed daily. I took Febreze with me. The biggest complaint I have is...the bathtub wasn't to my liking. I showered with swim shoes on my feet. The ranch décor was amazing, and the lobby and other areas were clean.
Overall, it was a good time, and the staff was friendly. Our waitress Alicea was awesome.
The bar closes at 10:00pm.Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Room Tip: I was told some rooms have been updated, but I don't know which ones. Oh yes, do not get a room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VeeNj
I'm glad your stay was "Better than Expected". Columbus weekend weather deserves some of the credit, the Catskill Mountain weather was Perfect! We have renovated about 65 of the 126 rooms and continue to work on one more each week. Doing it one room at a time is challenging but it enable Pinegrove to keep rates down during these challenging economic times.

Please email me at David@pinegroveranch.com and I will send you a Complimentary Room Upgrade certificate for your next visit.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have been to Pinegrove 4x and we love it. The rustic ranch sit atop a picturesque acreage. I have a 9 and 11 year old boys who play hard. They love the horses the trails, bounce pillow, basketball court, rock climbing wall and of course the pools. I love the nightly bond fires happy hours and the familly entertainment. If your looking for a five star sterile environment go somewhere else. One of my sons has autism and was treated with warmth and understanding by the staff. It's a great change of scenery for a city girl like me. The carvings, statues and tapestries gives authenticity and you can' t believe the cow bell they ring for chow time. The bed are a little lumpy but its part of charm of the place.

Room Tip: Best room for quiet is sante fe it's far from the lobby. Most cost efficient close to lobby,bar...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ginatheone
Warm & friendly...we appreciate the post! Those are two attributes that well represent the staff at the Ranch. None of us are polished but each is warm and friendly. We will work on replacing any lumpy beds.

See you soon,

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!