“Can't wait to go back”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Astoria, New York
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here once a few years ago and yes, I will admit, it could use some updating in certain areas, but all and all, for what you pay, it's a great experience. My kids were really young at the time, so we can only do so much with them. We went for Halloween weekend and it wasn't enough time. I just booked about 15 rooms between my friends and I for next summer for a week. We all can't wait to get together and let the kids enjoy a nice family vacation. My whole family will have a week long vacation, all inclusive for the less money than plane tickets would cost. I wouldn't go back, yet tell 60 other people to join us, if I didn't think it was worth it. For those complaining, if you don't like it, don't go, no one is forcing you. Not to mention, it's a DUDE RANCH, not a high class resort. The experience is what you make of it.

Room Tip: Closer to the lobby helps with younger children. But the further rooms themselves are much bigger...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
15 rooms next summer...Wow! Big Thanks, Pinegrove has always grown by word of mouth, we appreciate you expanding the fun to friends and family. Those willing to reserve in advance can save big buck next summer.

This Fall has been great weather, friends and family. Each weekend better than the last, thanks for being part of the family fun.

David - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have been going to Pinegrove for years. Our 5 year old has been going since she was born. She rode her first full size horse on this trip. The look on her face was priceless, and the joy she had when she got her key chain with the picture of her on the horse was worth the drive. Our new family member that joined us on this trip was our 3 month old Siberian husky Zoey. To have a great family getaway also be pet friendly is everything we could want in a great vacation.

• Stayed November 2013
Zoey was one of the sweetest puppies we have ever met. Such a nice temperament and her markings are just beautiful. She obviously left a big first impression.

We did enjoy serving the rest of your family too! Returning guest is the foundation for a successful Ranch. Thanks for all your visits and we hope to see you soon.

Medford, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2013

if you are looking for a dude ranch , this is the place to go . They have everything for the whole family and at half the price of another local ranch . the food is good and plentiful and they cater to the kids ...all ages . there is something going on from 9am to 9pm every day . We are advance horseback riders and they have the best horses and trails to go on . Watch for the specials they can save you alot of money too. we went last year and looking forward to doing it again next year

Room Tip: the Navada rooms are closest to the action and actually are the cheapest they offer if you are a b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dennis k
Pinegrove's activities, facilities, meals and entertainment are geared for toddlers to grandparents. Our goal is to provide a clean, fun, affordable vacation for families like yours. You are right about specials and discounts, they change often and the best deals go to those that reserve early.

Thanks for being our guest,

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend at Pine Grove Ranch and Resort. We have been there four times and have enjoyed ourselves so much that we put a deposit down to go up there again. The workers there really cater to kids and adults and treat everyone like family. The famlies that visit there really seem to have a great time.

Room Tip: If you go there as a couple you will want the Santa Fe Amore room as it has a fire place and is very...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darla49
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thanks for being our guest, again! Ranch Rewards was designed for folks like you, loyal guest. It's our way of rewarding previous guest. No restrictions, no black-out dates, just $100 OFF anytime you want.

We will all work hard to make your next visit, even better.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have just returned from Pinegrove with an eight year old. I will admit that after reading all the negatives about this place, I came close to forfeiting my deposit. Well, I went anyway. First of all, it is a ranch. I never expected elegance. I wanted to ride a horse, sleep in a clean room, and have fun
They have a daycamp where the children painted masks, made trick-or-treat bags, rode ponies, pillow-bounced, and paraded their costumes for treats. We played Bingo, listened to music, went swimming, hayriding, chatted and toasted marshmallows around the bonfires. Yes, my room was an older, more basic room, but it was very clean and my t.v. worked well and every channel worked as well. The staff was pleasant and accommodating, and it appeared that everyone was having a blast, as I was. My eight year old can't wait to return. Why is this place being trashed on trip-advisor? It was everything I expected from a dude ranch, and will definitely return before the year is out. The weekend flew by because we were having fun. I didn't have time to read my book as I thought I would. Of course, if you are willing to spend a couple of thousand to stay two nights at a dude ranch, then by all means, you should expect modern accommodations, gourmet meals, etc. I would take a cruise for that amount of money. I had a great time, definitely family-oriented, great for groups. The food is cafeteria quality, but definitely edible. However, some people won't be pleased no matter what they get. They walk in looking for what is wrong. So if you want to have a fun, relaxing, laid-back weekend, you are in for a treat...hey, they take responsibility for your children's entertainment at no cost to you.
Stop trashing this wonderful establishment. It's probably the competitors doing , anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter location if you're a quiet group. Some rooms have small children who tend to b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeanette T
Thank you for being our guest and posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I too get confused by some of the very negative post. It's like there must be more than one Pinegrove Ranch? Well, there is just one. I can usually find good stuff to help me run the ranch from negative and positive reviews. Over time, I have figured out why guest stay the entire length of their planned vacation (we sell by the night or day) and then write a 100% negative review. These post fall into two general categories: Can't Leave or No Similar Priced Ranch. The "Can't Leave" has nothing to do with location or transportation; it means that their kids are having a great time even thought they personally hate it. The "No Similar Priced Ranch" is just that, our only competitor is more than twice our price.

So glad your family enjoyed the Ranch. It means a great deal to all of us.

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here last summer for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. The people are all very helpful and friendly. Very clean place with lots of activities. The price includes everything except booze. Want a drink or icecream in the afternoon - free. Also cocktail parties before dinner -free. Food is excellent and plentiful. We hope to go back next summer.

Room Tip: Nevada section is good if you don't like stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill572
Thank you, Pinegrove strives to provide activities for toddlers to grandparents. Being located in the Catskill Mountains gives Pinegrove a great backdrop for all our recreational activities. The new Fire Pit is an example of a simple facility that encourages guests to spend more time outdoors. There are some great savings available for Summer 2014 for those willing to plan ahead.

See you soon,

Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a must do with your family, friends, couples, even solo!!! Affordable fun! You decide, non stop action and activities or rest and relaxation. Better yet, mix it up and go with how you feel! I stay at a lot of places all over the country and this ranch was the cleanest! Rooms had no odors. Not musty or over fragrant... Was just perfect! The sheets and bed linens were the whitest and cleanest I have ever experienced. The food was fantastic and if you are in a rush they can accommodate you, if not, then you can just take your sweet time. The staff was friendly and helpful and inviting! Now, best of all was the horse back riding! To start, the horses are well cared for. The staff matches you up to a perfect fit with a horse and gives everyone a Two minute quick overview of how to direct the horse. The ride is fun, the scenery is great, the paths are varied between wooded and open trails. If you are an experienced rider, you will enjoy riding the trails with challenging your horseback riding skills over fallen trees, down muddy slopes, gallop full speed, trot and canter through the woods. I could write a small book in order to include all the activities that Pingrove Ranch has to offer and all for very affordable prices. Go, and have a blast! I assure you that Mike, Jessica and Flynn, just a few of the trail guides, will make sure you enjoy the best horseback riding adventures in all the northeast area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Susan R
Thank you, our Barn staff under the leadership of Cowboy Mike, has really stepped up our riding program. Horse care has never been better, longer trail rides, improved trails, new riding opportunities and a staff that loves horses! The new riding opportunities planned for Summer 2014 will truly make Pinegrove's riding program 5 stars: Scenic Ride for Two, Sunset Rides, Dinner on the Trail and an expanded lesson program.

Our Housekeeper, Mery, has had a similar impact on cleanliness. After years of challenges and finding dirt and dust in the corners, I can now confidently say Pinegrove Ranch is CLEAN! There are still some worn rugs and areas that need TLC, but they are clean. The replacement of worn out rugs and other heavily used item is my responsibility. This year I hope to knock that complaint off the list, by installing hundreds of yards of carpeting.

Thanks for being our guest, see you in the saddle!

David - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!