“Fun but flawed”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our 4th time at Pine Grove. I'm not saying we had a bad time. I met up with a friend that I actually met there 3 years ago, we line danced in the lobby, saw a comedy act, sang with the band during dinner. Unfortunately, it is probably our last time there. They have started nickel and diming people. It use to be ALL inclusive but they must be suffering because now you have to pay for horseback riding which can be expensive if you have a few kids and want to ride both days of your weekend. One family I met paid an extra $200! They have also cut out drinks which use to be included. Now you have to purchase a cup for $5.00 each which again can be costly if you have a few kids. Not only are you paying for everything but water (and juice/milk during dinner) the soda which is supposed to be pepsi???? tastes disgusting....

The food is definitely average at best. Breakfast is fine..it's pretty hard not to be able to offer a decent breakfast but the lunch they offer which most is available until 11:00 pm is pretty bad. Hot dogs and pizza were luke warm...barely edible....Even the pasta and butter is barely edible....They took away the slushies which was terribly disappointing to the kids. The first nights dinner was awful, plates weren't that clean, pasta sauce, tasteless...Not all bad but the waitress we had was AWFUL and fairly rude. She needed some serious training...We were afraid to ask for something, either it would take forever to get or you wouldn't get it at all.

The owner tried his best to entertain us and serve us a Thanksgiving dinner on Sat. The band was fun, the food again...average....but he tried...he was there overseeing everything with a smile on his face. At least someone was happy. We ran into a few that were absolutely miserable such as the bartender downstairs...we asked him a question and he snapped WHAT?! We said forget it and he just said ok....my friend wanted to book for this summer and it was appalling how rude they were about that. She is a repeat customer and wanted to book the special for this summer. If you rebook you get something called RANCH REWARDS and on their paperwork it CLEARLY stated that you can use your REWARDS for future bookings and you CAN use your CREDIT for deposit. When booking they said she couldn't and was extremely rude about it and it went like that for THREE staff members!! The guy in charge was the worst as he took the paper said ok and walked away! REALLY??? You are willing to lose a long time customer, get bad reviews AND let her tell her friends NOT to come??? all for $100.00! They were never going to lose the money in the end anyway, she would just use a credit now and then later on pay the balance. This is such poor customer service that we both decided to find a new place to meet. :(

I really believe the owner is a good person and wants to make everyone happy. I find it hard to believe that he would want this to happen.

The rooms are MEDIOCRE at best. Mine was actually not bad but my friends room 2 doors away was kind of gross...Furniture bad shape, drop ceiling dirty, iron marks on floor. You have to know which room to ask for otherwise you could end up in a dump. My room (Montana area) was much better, clean ceiling (not a drop) better furniture (although lamp on table looked like it could fall over if you blew on it) I could tolerate it for a weekend. I will say one of the beds mattresses was so bad you couldn't sleep on it because one side was broken or something...it fell like I could fall off of the bed if I slept on that side.

I do appreciate they allow small dogs here and they don't even mind if you are sitting in the lobby with them which is nice. There are a lot of grounds to walk them around too.

The activities director had really stupid activities on the last day. Egg toss and pudding eating contest. Freezing outside for eggs and both way too risky of a mess for kids when they are already checked out of the room and couldn't clean themselves up. One dad was YELLING at his son in the bathroom because he had pudding all over himself and was a mess!

The candy apples were a cute idea but no fun for the kids as you just stood in line while they dipped an apple for you...BORING...There should've been caramel/candy apples with toppings for the kids to decorate and make the apple their own.

I'm glad I went up for the $399.00 weekend as I wouldn't pay any more to go here especially knowing you have to pay for horseback riding which can easily tack on between $100-$200 depending on the size of your family. I don't think it's work anymore than $399.00.

I think it's time to explore other vacation spots.

Room Tip: ask for a newly renovated room...Montana is a bit far to walk but quiet and perfect if you have a do...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine M
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for being our guest this past weekend and taking the time to post such a detailed comment.

As you know, Pinegrove lowered rates since your 1st stay in 2010 and your family paid the exact same amount for a weekend in 2011, 2012 and 2013. As you also know, cost keep going up. Food prices alone has raised 30% in the last 3 years. How can Pinegrove keep such affordable rates for 3 consecutive years? Not easy but if you watch your pennies, it can be done. Soda as an example, was included at dinner as a free soft drink for all guests last year. This year, soda is not included at dinner, just coffee, tea, milk, chocolate milk, and apple juice. Soda can be purchased by the can in vending machines or as a "Bottomless Soda Cup" for $5.00 for the entire weekend. This does two very important things, it reduces our food cost (soda purchases) and creates a small revenue stream selling Bottomless Cups.

How does all this effect guests? Pinegrove had a choice, raise the cost of the weekend to all guests to cover food cost increases or remove an item like soda and charge those that consume this product. My decision, keep the rates low for all our guests and let those that are willing to pay extra for soda to do so.

Since the recession began, Pinegrove has done the same with Trail Riding. Since January of 2012, Riding is included in Base rates but guest can choose to opt out and pay $20 less per night for an adult and $10 less per child. Your Family of 3 $399 package never included (paid in 2011, 2012 & 2013) horseback riding. It is a great, affordable rate for a family of 3 for the entire weekend. You listed a few things that it did not include but failed to mention the many items came in the package: room 2 nights, 6 meals, free snack bar 11am-11pm, country line dance lessons, bingo an other games for prizes each day, family show, campfire each night, live DJ each night, guitar player both nights, heated indoor pool with 2 waterslides, pool towels, daily maid service, 2 cocktail/soda parties, hayrides each day, baby animal pen, free pony rides, free use of fitness center, bouncing pillow, archery with attendant, Rockwall with attendant, playground, mini-golf, ping pong, bocce, basketball, softball, candy apples and more. All of this, 2 adults & 1 child, 2 nights just $399.00.

All said, we are very sorry to loose your family as our guests. We will miss your family and your little white dog too!

There are newer reviews for Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just came back from a great weekend. We took our girl scout troop here for the weekend. First I have to say the staff was amazing. They were so accomdating and made all of us feel relaxed. The rooms were a nice size and fit 5 people very comfortable. It was clean. There was so much to do. The girls had a blast we never had to worry where they were. The staff looked out for everyone. The activities were all day and into the night. Loved the cocktail party at night it was nice to sit and have drinks before dinner. The food and staff was also very good. Loved breakfast and we had a great dinner and loved the music at dinner time. We cant wait to go back and we are bringing our families next time. This is a true family resort where you can kick up your feet and not worry what you are wearing , the safety of the kids. This is what a dude ranch is all about You will have alot of laughs but most important your children will not want to leave!!!! The horses are the best part!!! The trail ride was great and the wranglers watched out for everyone and made us feel at ease. If you are looking for a great getaway with the family I would suggest this place hands down. Cant wait to come back :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dorothy S

Pinegrove does love Girl Scouts and it shows! This our 4th decade serving Girl Scouts, it has, and continues to be a pleasure. Combining the positive attitude of scouting with the fun activities at the Ranch...a really good time.

Pinegrove is working to create new "Create Your Own" Badge templates for Pinegrove that conform with the new badge books. We hope to mail something out to all scout troops next month.

Thanks for being a Scout Mom and bringing us great scouts!

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The staff were all very friendly especially thebarn staff, they made my daughter's dream come true by doing the "barn brat" program she got to work the barn like a real wrangler! There are so many activities, we were never bored. The food was delicious!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank DarrenRN

Great to hear that you all had Fun! Cowboy Mike and his Wranglers are doing a great job at the barn. Guests and Horses are happy, that's a very good combination. We have also been working on menu selection and overall food quality, glad you liked it.

See you soon,

David - owner

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We've been coming to this family friendly resort for 8 years but this year I noticed amazing change. The trails have been come been completely revamped, I just couldn't wait to get on another ride. The horses look much better & healthier, and the rides, I just can't describe the different challenges & variety. This trip was fun for my 10 year old but it had some thrills for mommy & daddy in addition to cocktail hour.

Stayed: November 2013

Many of our old trails have been cut back and opened for guest riding. Now no two rides are the same, new areas of the mountain to explore on each ride. Credit goes to the hard working barn hands, these guys & girls are doing really hard work.

Thanks for being our guest,

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I booked this as a second choice for Halloween weekend when Mohonk was already full. It's not as upscale as Monhonk, but it's nowhere near as expensive, either, and my daughter loved it. My mother and I both had a wonderful time watching her fall in love with the calf, ride a horse, play tetherball, paddleboat, etc. The Halloween festivities were fun and the staff couldn't have been nicer. I love that you can get here without a car (I don't drive.) And the foliage was beautiful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

It sounds to me, that your family makes the best for your daughter, wherever you land! That's a great quality. Mohonk Mountain House is like 5 times our price and a top USA destination. Pinegrove will gladly take 2nd, even 50th, to such an acclaimed resort.

Here's your challenge, now that your daughter found out how much fun can be had at a dude ranch, will she want to go back to the fine china, breathtaking views and afternoon tea at Mohonk Mountain House? I'm pulling for your daughter and hope to see you all back in the saddle.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here once a few years ago and yes, I will admit, it could use some updating in certain areas, but all and all, for what you pay, it's a great experience. My kids were really young at the time, so we can only do so much with them. We went for Halloween weekend and it wasn't enough time. I just booked about 15 rooms between my friends and I for next summer for a week. We all can't wait to get together and let the kids enjoy a nice family vacation. My whole family will have a week long vacation, all inclusive for the less money than plane tickets would cost. I wouldn't go back, yet tell 60 other people to join us, if I didn't think it was worth it. For those complaining, if you don't like it, don't go, no one is forcing you. Not to mention, it's a DUDE RANCH, not a high class resort. The experience is what you make of it.

Room Tip: Closer to the lobby helps with younger children. But the further rooms themselves are much bigger...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

15 rooms next summer...Wow! Big Thanks, Pinegrove has always grown by word of mouth, we appreciate you expanding the fun to friends and family. Those willing to reserve in advance can save big buck next summer.

This Fall has been great weather, friends and family. Each weekend better than the last, thanks for being part of the family fun.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We have been going to Pinegrove for years. Our 5 year old has been going since she was born. She rode her first full size horse on this trip. The look on her face was priceless, and the joy she had when she got her key chain with the picture of her on the horse was worth the drive. Our new family member that joined us on this trip was our 3 month old Siberian husky Zoey. To have a great family getaway also be pet friendly is everything we could want in a great vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013

Zoey was one of the sweetest puppies we have ever met. Such a nice temperament and her markings are just beautiful. She obviously left a big first impression.

We did enjoy serving the rest of your family too! Returning guest is the foundation for a successful Ranch. Thanks for all your visits and we hope to see you soon.

David - Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!