“Last minute weekend!”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was our first time visiting Pine Grove. I was looking for something fun to do with my family online and came across the ranch. They were offering amazing deals that we just couldn't pass it up. We went in November and were very lucky that the weather was mild. When we first came into the main building we were welcomed with smiles and very pleasant employees. Check in was easy and we were upgraded to a larger room. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. My son was very excited to see that they had an extensive list of activities. Your child not be bored. This was the first vacation that my husband and I took that we did not have to entertain our son. He had sooooo many children to play with. He made friends that minute he walked in. They have a neat pool with slides and many outdoor activities. They offer plenty to eat. You will not go hungry. It is not 5 star meals, but they are very good (beats cooking everyday). The horse barn staff are very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the tractor hay ride and walking the grounds. Each night they had a cocktail hour and snacks before dinner ( the first night was a chocolate fountain! ) and nightly entertainment. We made friends with a group from the Island and had a great time singing and hanging out in the Saloon. My son had a great time playing all the games and winning Ranch Rewards that he was able to use in the gift shop. I gave it five starts because it is a great value for what you get! We had such a great time that we took advantage of the great summer deal that they are offering! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
1  Thank Mariann B
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Family Fun Vacations at Affordable Prices...that is our goal with every rate, special and offer. So glad to hear you gave Pinegrove a try and booked again foe Summer! Repeat guest reservation is the bar to which we strive for each guest.

Summer will be great fun, we have many new activities in the "works".

See you than,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Pinegrove, it was amazing in so many ways. We were unsure about how our stay would be based on reading reviews but we went in with an open mind & I'm so glad we did! The staff was exceptional, especially Geoff and the barn staff; Mike, Flynn, Jess, Kelley and Lindsey. Our four girls aged 16 to 7 never once complained about being bored. There are so many activities in addition to riding, you can be busy from morning til night or you can relax with a good book if that's your thing.

Many negative reviews mention the food and rooms, it is sad that people focus on that rather than what they are getting for their money. No the rooms are not Five star, but they are clean and comfortable. With the number of activities offered we spent so little time in our room, I would have hated to pay for a five star room! The food is decent, breakfast is good, at lunch you have many options served cafeteria style, and dinner fills you up. Again the meals are not five star, but please keep in mind how little you are paying for your entire trip. The cocktail parties nightly are a blast!

What it boils down to is this: Pinegrove offers an extremely affordable all inclusive vacation. When you figure out what you pay per person and compare it to other vacations, this is a steal! No it is not a posh resort, but you are not being charged for that. They do not "nickel and dime" you as some have said. I will gladly pay for soda and riding in order to keep the over all cost down for everyone. If you are looking for the "Ritz", you will be disappointed and should spend 3x as much to stay elsewhere. If you are looking for for a place that will make your kids smile and laugh, adults feel like kids again & help you make memories that will last a lifetime then this is your place. There is no where else you can go for so little money and leave with so much. We are looking forward to coming back is summer and are bringing friends with us. A big thanks to Pinegrove!!

3  Thank Grant-Gang

Thank you for being our guest and posting on Tripadvisor. Pinegrove is great for families that want to have a fun, active family vacation without breaking the bank. In the end its all about value; activities, entertainment, meals, facilities and programs designed for toddlers to grandparents add tremendous value.

We hope to get the chance to have your family back at the Ranch. Thanks again,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had another greatThanksgiving weekend .Arrived on WED afternoon and left for home sunday . everything about this time was wonderful. Our grandkids had a ball they were busy all day and nite . Pine Grove is the only place we have ever stayed where the owner helped cooked the turkeys Thanks to David and the whole crew for a great time See you again next year Wallace family

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thanksgiving at the Ranch is always a special time for family fun. I enjoy carving turkeys with the kitchen staff, we cooked 54 turkeys and all the trimmings. The families that return year after year, create a very "country home" feel for all the guests. First timers become Pinegrove friends by day two and join in activities and chats with fellow guests.

Thanks for enjoying the Holidays with us and we wish you a wonderful New Year!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Husband wanted to take a trip to a dude ranch for a while so we finally went for his birthday weekend. It was just the two of us and we had a great time. I'd read poor reviews after I'd booked the trip so I was wary but immediately upon arrival we wondered aloud what people were talking about. The main lobby/reception area has really fun decor. When booking the room I mentioned my husband's birthday. We had an upgraded room with a fireplace and a banner, balloons & gift waiting for him. The food was good. I don't know why others complained. The meat was tender and not at all tough as others have said. We enjoyed our horse ride and the wranglers were attentive to my fear of not having been on a horse in 25yrs. The magician was a cute show but when he was done and the families retired for the night, the nightclub was dead. We made friends with a large group and listened to music with them in the main lounge area. There are many activities scheduled to round out the day. We will definitely be back with family & friends. A nice touch was the thank you note we received about a week after our trip.

• Stayed: October 2013

Happy Birthday, again! Our housekeeper, Mery, and her staff deserves all the credit for those special touches. When she see, anniversary, birthday, honeymoon, sweet sixteen, etc. on the arrival chart...expect good things! So please let us know what's special to you and it will be special for us too!

Thanks for choosing Pinegrove and we look forward to serving you all, again.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had been going to Rockin Horse dude Ranch for many years.. They were not able to accommodate us this year so I contacted Pinegrove & they WELCOMED us with open arms!!!! There were a bunch of us(25 rooms) that enjoyed the many activities.
Whether we played Bingo, trivia,went on Pony rides, tracker rides, horseback riding, made candy apples, bounced on the bounce pillow, played paintball or danced the night away, we had an AWESOME weekend.

Overall the food is good, the workers are nice, the rooms are clean and the memories are yours for the making!
We will be returning next year & plan on returning for years to come!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Dakota room. It was clean & Spacious
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I admit, 30 rooms that had been going to RHR for 12 years had me a bit nervous! I worry, it's what I do - I worried about the rooms, meals, entertainment, everything. Then from the moment you all arrive, I new it was going to be great. What a fun group of families...parents and kids all joining in, meeting new friends, all HAPPY! It was truly a pleasure to serve all of you, next year we will do the 1st weekend in December.

Thank you, now you are all Pinegrove regulars!

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The owner made me a deal I couldn't refuse. The 10 of us headed north for Thanksgiving. We did Thanksgiving two years ago and expected the same good time. Horseback riding program changed-not for the good. Used to be able to have coffee or tea any time you wanted free. No such thing any more. You could only get coffee when the Starbucks counter was open and you paid for it. The coffee with breakfast and dinner tasted like instant. No more laser tag. Dinner hour cut to 1 hour.
Our room was clean but not updated as they said. The bathroom was old and the sink faucet didn't work-the shower faucet wasn't much better.
Too many changes we didn't care for and not any updated changes. Will not return.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank ReeRee65

You are right, there have been many changes since your family was here in November 2011. The changes you mentioned; Riding Program, Starbucks and Laser Tag are in fact different than your last stay.

Riding, Pinegrove's base rate includes 1 ride per person per day (similar to 2011) however new in 2012, guests may opt to save $20 adult per night and $10 per child and not include riding. In your family's case, in 2013 you purchased all "non-rider rates" saving $560.00.

Starbucks Café in the lobby is now the only coffee option between Breakfast & Dinner (coffee is free during meals). It is a small cost/revenue change to help us keep rates affordable.

All in All, the changes Pinegrove made since 2011 reduced the overall cost for your family (pro-rated per night 2011 4 nights & 2013 3 nights) by approx. $500.00.

We are so sorry to hear that while your family spent less per night in 2013 compared to 2011, you missed the items that were previously included in your rate. If the economy rebounds and guests can afford higher rates, we will re-think these changes. In the meantime, Pinegrove will keep looking for creative ways to provide an affordable family vacation.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was our 1st visit after hearing about this place for over a year from a coworker. I finally decided to take my family. My children had a great time. The pool was great. They met some really nice girls who met there 4 years ago and meet there every year with there families. It was so nice that they were open to new friendships and included both my girls. They had a great time with all the activities and winning "Pinegrove Dollars". I think Pingrove is in need of a serious renovation, at least the room I was in. The bathroom had all loose tiles on floor and the shower spout was in need! The sink was all cracked and the lighting, I don't know how OLD it was. With that being said at least the BEDs where clean, but it did need some new furniture and carpet. We dealt. It could have been worse. As far as the all inclusive goes....don't buy the cup....the soda/drinks are all watered down...bring your own. Breakfast was good, lunch barley edible and dinner (you only get (3) choices. My kids were very disappointed that the penne w/vodka was not served every night and chicken fingers should be on all the time. My kids were not happy. Not for nothing but they need to keep the kids happy and they were not accommodating them and that make parents crazy. All in all we had a nice time but we will wait till they renovate and make changes to revisit! I now it is a DUDE ranch, and you get what you paid for and they did run a really great special, but if they want families to return they need to give more choices with food and have drinks accessible if they are unlimited if you buy a CUP. It really could be a great place and I heard from many other guests, it used to be!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Wyoming and it need a renovation really bad. I heard the Dakotas where recently reno...
2  Thank YoungFamily4
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

It sounds like your daughters had a good time, that's important to us. We are sorry that our accommodations do not meet your travelling standards. It is true that the Dakota Room area has been improved but it is still very similar to the Wyoming Room you stayed in. None of the sinks should have "cracks", we just paid last year to have them re-glazed. I've asked housekeeping to inspect everyone and call back the company to fix any with cracks.

Our menu expands and contracts based on our selling rate. During Summer or Holiday weeks, families can expect between 12 to 15 entrée choices each night, during the offseason and discount weekends menus entrées are about 5-7 per night. Cost per night, per person affects the amount of entrees we serve. Example, during the Summer, Penne Al Vodka and Chicken Fingers are available every night, yet October weekends - Penne was on Friday and Chicken Fingers on Saturday.

Pinegrove will continue to work hard each day serving guests and keeping the Ranch clean, fun and affordable.

Thanks again for giving us a try,

David - Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!